PDA

View Full Version : What should I bring to the hospital?

mjs64
11-30-2010, 10:51 PM
I know some of the basics, but what did you bring that you were glad you did? What do you wish you had packed? I'm packing my bag soon...

Thanks!

scrooks
11-30-2010, 10:56 PM
My laptop! I actually had DH bring it after DS was born. Honestly I was a bit bored sometimes (I stayed 3 nights because of my c-section) and it was nice to be able to communicate.

SnuggleBuggles
11-30-2010, 11:20 PM
Snacks and sports drink (I ate and drank during my labors), a fan (battery operated or hand fan), change of clothes for dh, a sports bra, bathrobe, flip flops, birth plan, page from baby book for foot prints, and a camera.

Beth

mousemom
11-30-2010, 11:39 PM
I brought way more than I used, since I ended up just wearing the hospital gowns and their stretchy underwear the whole time I was there. But I really wish I had brought shower shoes because I ended up with a fungal infection on my feet when I got home, which I had absolutely no time/energy to deal with.

scrooks
12-01-2010, 10:01 AM
I brought way more than I used, since I ended up just wearing the hospital gowns and their stretchy underwear the whole time I was there. But I really wish I had brought shower shoes because I ended up with a fungal infection on my feet when I got home, which I had absolutely no time/energy to deal with.
:yeahthat: I never did understand wearing fancy pjs in the hospital. Birth isn't pretty and neither are the after effects. I didn't want to ruin my own stuff. Shower shoes are a must : )

MoJo
12-01-2010, 10:24 AM
Not only the camera, but the memory card. (I grabbed the camera to pack after I was already in labor. . . not knowing DH had put the card in the computer. I was only able to take a few pictures in the first 24 hours as a result.)

Not only the cell phone, but the charger. (My charger was in my purse. . . but when my water broke in the hospital parking lot, my purse didn't make it to my room. . . and I was spending my mental energy trying to figure out how to talk to the most people with the shortest time)

Make sure that the person who brings you to the hospital understands that you NEED what you packed, and that leaving it in the car and then leaving you alone overnight in the hospital without these things is not acceptable.

I DIDN'T realize that those things needed to be explained.

If you want hospital pics, it's fun to take something cute and comfy for baby to wear.

And of course, something to wear home. I've heard people say they just wear what they wore to the hospital. . . but my clothes were ruined before I got to my room to change.

I'm still a little bitter (about the camera/phone, not the clothes). . . but I totally love the little girl I got out of the whole deal, and I really did from the very beginning.

bostonsmama
12-01-2010, 04:33 PM
I should have brought more clothing for ME and baby. Most friends said they didn't need it at all, but being in my own clothes made me feel more human, and the T provided by the hospital was way too huge for DD (sized 0-3, and she swam in premie clothes at 6lbs5oz).

Having my own toilettries was great--wished I remembered flipflops/shower shoes (ick!) or slippers. I also wished I had my own towel since the ones there were practically hand towels. Loved my blow dryer/ceramic iron/make up.

Didn't use my chapstick, water or snacks during labor even though I went naturally. Labor was just so quick and I had NO desire to eat! I did call my friend and ask her to bring me hard candies to suck on--my mouth was so dry, but I didn't want water. After about 5 min I spit it out (it was sour apple & too strong a flavor), but at least it helped initially. The heatable rice sock was great, esp after birth when the uterine cramping was bad.

Def bring hair ties!

Didn't like the Boppy in the hospital b/c it fit weird--but bring extra pillows from home.

Ditto on change of clothes--I thought my water broke at check-in, but really I was just peeing myself while throwing up at triage. Def have something to go home in--I think I wore a knit, fold-over skirt and top--super comfy! I also had a jersey nursing dress to wear in hospital--it was great! My nursing sleep bra was more handy than my nursing tanks since I was still a bit swollen, but YMMV.

luckytwenty
12-02-2010, 05:55 PM
I only wore the hospital gown the day of my c-section. It was nice to have clean pajamas with me, especially for nursing (the hospital gowns weren't designed for nursing mothers.) I am also glad I brought baby clothes because at the hospital, they used these disposable paper-like onesies that Pampers makes, a diaper and a hat, and that was it. You might want to check with the hospital to see whether they have clothes beyond the onesie and blanket and hat before deciding whether to bring more than just a going home outfit for baby.

I also packed some really nice toiletries (Aveda shampoo, conditioner, lotion, body wash) because I just felt SO GROSS post-surgery/delivery. Soft socks or slippers are good if you don't like their little booties.

And don't forget chargers for the phone and camera!!