PDA

View Full Version : BAD hip pain

justbreathe11
11-30-2010, 10:53 PM
I'm 28 weeks, and experiencing really bad hip pain. It's on both sides & starts at the top of my hips & goes down the side of my thighs. My dr. told me today it's normal & there's not much they can do. Has anyone else experienced this & found some relief? It's worse when I lie down & I can't lay on one side for more than 10 minutes at a time. Makes sleeping miserable!

Melbel
12-01-2010, 12:20 AM
I'm 28 weeks, and experiencing really bad hip pain. It's on both sides & starts at the top of my hips & goes down the side of my thighs. My dr. told me today it's normal & there's not much they can do. Has anyone else experienced this & found some relief? It's worse when I lie down & I can't lay on one side for more than 10 minutes at a time. Makes sleeping miserable!

It sounds like you have bursitis. I developed bursitis in both hips during my pregnancy with DD2, which meant that I could not sleep comfortably on either side, my back, or stomach, which leaves....

I went to PT and ultimately had low dose cortizone injections when PT failed to relieve the pain. I still have some issues, but not nearly as bad as when I was pregnant. Stretching helps, especially Piriformis Muscle stretches. I hope you feel better soon!

justbreathe11
12-01-2010, 08:10 AM
It sounds like you have bursitis. I developed bursitis in both hips during my pregnancy with DD2, which meant that I could not sleep comfortably on either side, my back, or stomach, which leaves....

I went to PT and ultimately had low dose cortizone injections when PT failed to relieve the pain. I still have some issues, but not nearly as bad as when I was pregnant. Stretching helps, especially Piriformis Muscle stretches. I hope you feel better soon!

Thank you SO much for the response & advice!!

WolfpackMom
12-01-2010, 10:13 AM
You could try a support belt, I used one that went slightly over my hips and kind of helped feel like it squeezed them in. I can't remember the name of it, but maybe ask your DR?
Good luck!

justbreathe11
12-01-2010, 03:34 PM
You could try a support belt, I used one that went slightly over my hips and kind of helped feel like it squeezed them in. I can't remember the name of it, but maybe ask your DR?
Good luck!

Thank you for the advice!

3blackcats
12-03-2010, 08:30 PM
I have hip pain (not really bad) with this pregnancy and swimming makes it feel so much better.

daisymommy
12-05-2010, 06:00 PM
Yep, I had it all 3 times. Your ligaments, tendons, muscles--everything that supports the baby's weight relaxes and loosens up (hormone relaxin), so it can really hurt! Some people produce more relaxin than others, and different body parts and joints will loosen in some people more than others.

My pelvic bones and hip bones splayed apart so far I was in excruciating pain some days, and did a lot of laying on the couch. To go along with that, it also meant I started dilating early too and had to be on bed rest at the end.

A support belt helps, but rest may be your best friend, when possible.

srhs
12-06-2010, 01:50 AM
Yea, mine was pretty bad, and I could not lift DS1 some days. To manage it, I did PT which included warm pool PT. I would totally ask for water PT if you go that route--felt so good to get that baby weight "off" the hip for awhile in the pool.

I also got regularly adjusted by a chiropractor who uses the activator (so low impact). He could put me back together, so to speak, but due to all the relaxin hormone during pregnancy, I would get loosey-goosy again quicker than when non-preg.

Overall, it just had to be managed rather than cured, KWIM?

:grouphug:so sorry you are feeling lousy! :(

Now, fast forward 18 mos, and I have all kinds of back/hip problems, and I have no idea if those preg hip pains were related precursors or isolated incidents. I mention it, though, because I had my first injection last week, and it has helped a ton. Since PP mentioned it, I thought I would mention my experience. Mine was given while under xray, though, so I would guess your procedure would be significantly different.

justbreathe11
12-06-2010, 03:48 PM
Thanks again ladies! I wish water PT was offered in my area, but it's not. I would LOVE to see a chiropractor, need to find out how much the co-pay is! I guess all of this is just part of it, not that much longer now, & praying that I DON'T have to go on bedrest!

luckytwenty
12-06-2010, 06:22 PM
I had that as well. It really was bad in my inner thighs. I bought a maternity support belt, which helped. As my belly grew and changed position a bit, the pain went away (to be replaced by other discomforts!).