PDA

View Full Version : Newborns and out of doors

KJTremper
12-01-2010, 02:03 AM
So when is it ok to take baby outside (aside from Pediatrician visits, etc)?

And where would you feel ok taking your newborn?

My DD is one week old today - I am not up to much and cannot drive due to c-section, but I would like to get in some walking around the block perhaps or a short outing. I have some serious cabin fever!!

TY :wavey:

lovebebes
12-01-2010, 02:12 AM
I think a short walk around the block will do you good-just make sure you and baby are dressed well for the weather!

My dd is almost 5 weeks old and while I have not allowed anyone to come over to meet her I do gladly take her out of the house. We have been out many times now to a nearby outdoor shopping center. She sleeps in the stroller tucked away from the world and I enjoy a bit of fresh air.

Congratulations on your new DD! I love the newborn stage so much-it is so so precious and goes so fast.

SnuggleBuggles
12-01-2010, 08:43 AM
We were out and about for walks early on with ds1. Ran a few errands and the poor guy was at Wendy's at day 2 of life (snafu with scheduling at Lactation Consultant post discharge).

Now, ds2? He was out and about immediately. It was the holiday season and there was shopping to be done and festivities for ds1 to attend. I wore him to help shield him from germs some, I breastfed to give him extra antibodies and just hoped for the best. But we didn't wait on anything...we couldn't because life had to go on for ds1 and that meant ds2 had to go along for the ride!

Beth

MoJo
12-01-2010, 08:50 AM
Welcome, KJ, and welcome, precious little girl!

My ped said we should avoid places like church and the grocery store on Monday morning . . . but I'd definitely take baby for a walk. The germs inside are a bigger concern than the cold outside.

Smillow
12-01-2010, 12:31 PM
When DS was small - I found that the transition to outside helped stop fussiness (he had colic) - it also helped me!

WolfpackMom
12-01-2010, 12:35 PM
I was not a nervous new mom....we were out within like 2 days. I would go stir crazy otherwise, and it was January.

edurnemk
12-01-2010, 12:38 PM
DS was 4 weeks when we started going out for short walks and I wish I'd done it sooner. He was born in January un Chicago, but I was loosing my mind cooped up indoors. He was bundled up, and we had the Bundle me and the weather shield on the stroller. He was warm and toasty the whole time. I think the concern about going out with baby is more about crowded places and contagious diseases. A walk is healthy for both mom and baby from the very first week IMO

BabyBearsMom
12-01-2010, 01:45 PM
I started after a week. Just quick outtings to run into the bank or pick up milk at the grocery store. I wasn't up to a lot of walking (also had a c-section). After about 2 weeks, when I got the okay from my OB, I started going out more often and would just wear DD in a baby carrier. I couldn't stand being stuck in the house.

pb&j
12-01-2010, 03:57 PM
DD and I were taking long (2-3) mile walks starting when she was 3 days old. It was winter, but I wore her in a Beco with my jacket over her, and it was fine.

Same w/DS, though it may have been closer to a week or 2.

Both kids were out and about (grocery store, Target, etc) within a week of their births. You gotta live your life! I had an elderly friend who used to remind us that "You did no go to live with the baby, the baby came to live with you."

KJTremper
12-01-2010, 03:59 PM
Thank you so much for the encouraging replies! This is the first baby in my family in 19 years so all my advice is relatively old-school. My Mom has been fantastic, but she keeps referring to how it was 'back in the day' with 6 weeks of confinement, etc.
Alexis has proven to be quite strong and healthy in her one short little week and I do have some good bundling outfits plus a cover for her car seat/stroller so I am very excited to get out there!

Kathryn

SnuggleBuggles
12-01-2010, 04:05 PM
How exciting for you and your family!! :) I am heading to stay with a friend after she has her 1st because she is in the same boat- 1st baby of the generation, lots of outdated advice. She thought it'd help her to have someone there with more up to date info. :)

Have fun and enjoy these early days!!

Beth

edurnemk
12-01-2010, 04:13 PM
Thank you so much for the encouraging replies! This is the first baby in my family in 19 years so all my advice is relatively old-school. My Mom has been fantastic, but she keeps referring to how it was 'back in the day' with 6 weeks of confinement, etc.

Sounds like my mom, DS is also the first grandkid. My mom starts all her advice with "my mom always said that..." so it's advice from my grandmother's generation! (my mom holds everything my GM ever said to be sacred truth) That's part of the reason DS had his first outings until my mom left, I would've never heard the end of it if I'd gone for a walk in subzero weather when she was staying with us. She still tries to cover him up with a winter coat in mid-60's weather or if it's even slightly windy :ROTFLMAO: