PDA

View Full Version : Tell me what you are eating for lunch?

turtledove
12-01-2010, 12:54 PM
I am tired of struggling to figure this out every day. I am a SAHM, so while I definitely eat out sometimes, most days I need to figure out what to eat at home. My old standbys (lunchmeat and tuna fish) are no-no's and I can only stomach so much PBJ and grilled cheese. Warmed up lunchmeat makes me want to :barf:, so no warming it up in the microwave. I can occasionally do dinner leftovers, but that usually messes up my dinner plans (I try to make each dinner last for two meals).

Inspire me please!

mezzona
12-01-2010, 01:02 PM
I'm having dinner leftovers today, but if I didn't have that choice, option #2 would be to share a frozen pizza with my DD

gcc2k
12-01-2010, 01:17 PM
lean pocket
OR
a variety of snack type things: string cheese, yogurt, edamame seeds, nuts, crackers, granola bar, etc.

You could always heat up your lunch meat in the morning (or the day before) and stick it back in the fridge to cool.

WolfpackMom
12-01-2010, 01:29 PM
I had chicken soup with rice - nothing fancy it was Campbells Select. :)

elbenn
12-01-2010, 01:33 PM
How about a salmon salad sandwich? Make it like tuna salad, but use a can of salmon instead.

♥ms.pacman♥
12-01-2010, 01:35 PM
i'm eating butternut squash bisque i made yesterday, plus leftovers of chicken fried rice from when we went out to eat the other day

i hear ya on getting sick of certain things and not wanting to eat lunchmeat. for me i've find that the easiest thing for me to eat while pg was soups (also the quickest, since i usually don't have much time to eat with ds around)

littlebird
12-01-2010, 01:39 PM
What about a baked potato? Or cottage cheese with a salad? I like a cheese quesadilla as an alternative to grilled cheese with some avocado on the side...yum. I think I'll have that today : )

wellyes
12-01-2010, 01:40 PM
My standby:

1. Make couscous (pour 1 cup boiling teapot water into a pan of 1/2 cup cous cous; cover for a few minutes)
2. Throw in a handful of raisins for sweetness
3. Add veggies (frozen, steamed in microwave, stir into cous cous)
4. Add soy "chicken" strips (30 seconds in microwave, stir into cous cous)
4. Salt, seasoning, a little brown mustard stirred into couscous

Yummy hot nutritious lunch in less than 10 minutes.

MacMacMoo
12-01-2010, 04:05 PM
yesterday was homemade mac and cheese. I cook up one huge pot of pasta and ziplock bowl size portions into bags. I pre cut the cheese and put them in the bag so that when its lunch put it all in a bowl. at nuke time is also when I might add some brocolli, or pergaps some leftover chicken.

Today its queadilias. cheese some onions and some chicken.... I guess I chould have made a fajita..... but its easier for SqueekMoo to eat the quesidilas so less mess to clean always a bonus.

We also have a nice rice cooker that can keep rice warm after it cooks it and so we always have rice for a meal. eat it plain or add random pantry items to make it better.

bostonsmama
12-01-2010, 04:14 PM
I ate a lot of veggie burgers on whole wheat buns with avocado, lettuce or spinach and tomato. Sometimes I'd have a big salad--getting prewashed organic greens makes it quick. Cans of low sodium soup were also nice with a pita and hummus. My favorite meals were Kashi frozen entrees (Mayan Harvest Bake--with plantains & sweet potatoes over a 7-grain chipotle pilaf, or the Lemongrass Coconut Chicken), yum! I also have been eating leftovers--sometimes if I've eaten too much I'll pair the smaller entree leftover with a salad or starter soup (something quick/easy) for dinner. One of my fav breakfasts was almond butter on whole wheat toast w/ a banana sliced on top, sprinkled w/ cinnamon plus a glass of milk--it'd make a nice lunch w/ an extra slice of bread.

alexmommy
12-01-2010, 04:53 PM
This pregnancy I have been craving bean burritos. So flour tortilla with refried beans and cheese in the microwave, add sour cream, lettuce (if I'm feeling healthy), olives, avocado (if I have them). DS has learned to like burritos too. I also keep cottage cheese, yogurt, baked beans, cooked spaghetti around. Sometimes I'll cook up a batch of lentils and warm up as needed. Oh, and I usually throw some frozen veggies on the stove as a 2nd course while DS is eating his 1st course.

justbreathe11
12-01-2010, 06:00 PM
I usually eat a turkey sandwich. My dr said they were perfectly fine if I got the meat from the deli counter. 28 weeks along & no problems yet :)

turtledove
12-01-2010, 08:02 PM
Thanks everyone for the input. I just got back from the grocery store (went hungry, that was a mistake!) and got a bunch of the suggestions from here. I have never cooked couscous, but if I'm still feeling bold tomorrow, that is what is for lunch! I was feeling completely uninspired, but I'm better now.

Since you were such help earlier, any great ideas on how to make dinner cook and serve itself? ;)