PDA

View Full Version : Which infant seat?

OKKiddo
12-01-2010, 08:17 PM
We found out we were going to be having another baby several months back--just a couple months after selling off ALL of our baby stuff! We decided to wait on buying a car seat until after we found out the sex of the new baby, good thinking because we're having a GIRL!!! Now I'm really overwhelmed with all the pattern options available and even worse, trying to choose between which brand/model of car seat. :(

When my boys were in infant seats we had a Graco Snugride 22. While there were some pretty intense growth spurts that made me fear they'd outgrow it before a year old, they still managed to hang in there and exceed a year in the Snugride 22. If this new baby holds to the same trend, then a Snugride 22 would work well for her too. I went to look at a few styles locally, and I realized how much less padding they have as well as the energy absorbing stuff (I know the real name, but pregnancy brain has me in it's clutches right now).

So, if we go with a Graco Seat, which model would you recommend? Or is Chicco Keyfit better (it's definitely pricier)?

justbreathe11
12-01-2010, 11:37 PM
I love, love, love our snugride 32 in the rittenhouse pattern!

AnnieW625
12-01-2010, 11:59 PM
I think that the Snugride 22 is slowly becoming the Snugride 30 so you have an additional option there, although patterns at this time are really limited. If I had to buy a Snugride 35 I would buy the Laguna Bay print at BRUS.

I really like the Chicco Keyfit 30 and my BIL+wife have it for their son and seem happy with it. It's definitely a tad more plush than the standard Graco Snugrides, but the higher weight limit Snugrides are also much nicer than they once were.

DD2 is currently in the old model Graco Safe Seat and we are hoping that she is in the seat until she is at least a year too vs. DD1 who barely made it to 7 months in her SR22 so we decided that Safe Seat was a better choice for DD2 (it was a hand me down from a friend as the Safe Seat is no longer made, it was replaced by the Snugride 32).

Joolsplus2
12-02-2010, 08:44 AM
Snugride 30 in Mirabella? If you like pink and black :wink2: (sold one to a mom the other day, after noticing it matched her sweater perfectly, lol).
The extra bases for that seat are the SR35's which are much nicer to install than the old 22's, I think.
The only beef I have with the SR30's is that they made the shell a smidge higher, but did not make the handle longer, so it kind of scrapes the hood back and forth...here're my pictures of it... in another color.. http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/Snugride30Brownstone#

OKKiddo
12-02-2010, 11:37 AM
I love, love, love our snugride 32 in the rittenhouse pattern!

I like the idea of a girly pattern that doesn't include pink. I think it will go on the top 5 list!

I think that the Snugride 22 is slowly becoming the Snugride 30 so you have an additional option there, although patterns at this time are really limited. If I had to buy a Snugride 35 I would buy the Laguna Bay print at BRUS.

I really like the Chicco Keyfit 30 and my BIL+wife have it for their son and seem happy with it. It's definitely a tad more plush than the standard Graco Snugrides, but the higher weight limit Snugrides are also much nicer than they once were.

DD2 is currently in the old model Graco Safe Seat and we are hoping that she is in the seat until she is at least a year too vs. DD1 who barely made it to 7 months in her SR22 so we decided that Safe Seat was a better choice for DD2 (it was a hand me down from a friend as the Safe Seat is no longer made, it was replaced by the Snugride 32).

I definitely liked the plushness of the Chicco when I played with it at BRU, but the price makes you step back...of course it looks like Graco has decided to go expensive too. :( As far as the Snugride 22's, if our little girl stays with the growing trend that my boys did, then the SR22 would last us that year. BUT! I hesitate to buy a SR22 this time because I keep hesitating on buying a seat that doesn't have EPS foam. And that my friends is where I get hung up. Price is on one side of the equation, then safety. In a perfect world, the safest seat would be the most affordable and then deciding on colors would be a little simpler.

Snugride 30 in Mirabella? If you like pink and black :wink2: (sold one to a mom the other day, after noticing it matched her sweater perfectly, lol).
The extra bases for that seat are the SR35's which are much nicer to install than the old 22's, I think.
The only beef I have with the SR30's is that they made the shell a smidge higher, but did not make the handle longer, so it kind of scrapes the hood back and forth...here're my pictures of it... in another color.. http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/Snugride30Brownstone#

Jools, I saw that Mirabella in the store yesterday! I like the headrest things on it because I can't stand when my little one's heads flop sideways. I used to stuff a receiving blanket around their heads every single time until they grew into the head rest support (several months later).

Thanks so much for all the input! I just can't believe how much the cost of stuff has gone up! I remember I bought our SR22 as part of a travel system back in 2006 for $135 total. I know better than buying a travel system this time around but I hate seeing how my money doesn't get me nearly as much this time around. :(

Joolsplus2
12-02-2010, 12:43 PM
22's have had EPS foam for 5+ years now, though... so even if the discontinued nature of their being doesn't worry you, that isn't a concern. :)

Yeah, prices are crazy...I got a bland ugly Key Fit for $107, shipped, back in 2005 before Leah was born. I didn't care if it was ugly, it was cheeeeeeap!

toystorymama
12-02-2010, 01:03 PM
I just wanted to comment on the increased prices too. When I had my oldest you could get a Snugride for about $70, now they are all over $100. It stinks for those of us who don't want a whole travel system, just the seat.

OKKiddo
12-05-2010, 12:25 AM
I like the idea of a girly pattern that doesn't include pink. I think it will go on the top 5 list!

I definitely liked the plushness of the Chicco when I played with it at BRU, but the price makes you step back...of course it looks like Graco has decided to go expensive too. :( As far as the Snugride 22's, if our little girl stays with the growing trend that my boys did, then the SR22 would last us that year. BUT! I hesitate to buy a SR22 this time because I keep hesitating on buying a seat that doesn't have EPS foam. And that my friends is where I get hung up. Price is on one side of the equation, then safety. In a perfect world, the safest seat would be the most affordable and then deciding on colors would be a little simpler.

Jools, I saw that Mirabella in the store yesterday! I like the headrest things on it because I can't stand when my little one's heads flop sideways. I used to stuff a receiving blanket around their heads every single time until they grew into the head rest support (several months later).

Thanks so much for all the input! I just can't believe how much the cost of stuff has gone up! I remember I bought our SR22 as part of a travel system back in 2006 for $135 total. I know better than buying a travel system this time around but I hate seeing how my money doesn't get me nearly as much this time around. :(

Yeah, I found a pattern I really like a lot but it's only available through Sears. And it's a SR22 that will mean the same head flop issues we had with our old SR22 (and having to correct it with a receiving blanket):

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_04915069000P?prdNo=6&blockNo=78&blockType=G78

OKKiddo
12-05-2010, 12:34 AM
Yeah, I found a pattern I really like a lot but it's only available through Sears. And it's a SR22 that will mean the same head flop issues we had with our old SR22 (and having to correct it with a receiving blanket):

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_04915069000P?prdNo=6&blockNo=78&blockType=G78

I correct myself...it's also at Amazon, Kohls, and the graco website says BRU but I haven't found it there yet.

While looking at the Kohl's website, my husband saw the Mickey Mouse print and said it's cute:

http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/onlineexclusives/baby/carseatsaccessories/PRD~672903/Graco+SnugRide+Car+Seat++Disney+Mickey+Mouse+In+Th e+House.jsp

Joolsplus2
12-05-2010, 09:40 AM
That Ally print only has the rear adjuster, so I'd avoid it (a pain to adjust the straps in the back compared to the pull-tail on a front adjuster).

vonfirmath
12-05-2010, 04:22 PM
I just wanted to comment on the increased prices too. When I had my oldest you could get a Snugride for about $70, now they are all over $100. It stinks for those of us who don't want a whole travel system, just the seat.

Just get a convertible and avoid the expense of the infant seat entirely?

OKKiddo
12-05-2010, 05:32 PM
That Ally print only has the rear adjuster, so I'd avoid it (a pain to adjust the straps in the back compared to the pull-tail on a front adjuster).

Hmm, something to think about. According to Baby Bargains I need to have a car seat installed and waiting by the 35th week of my pregnancy. So I have 15 more weeks to go to find, buy, and install one. Think they'll come out with anything new in January?

Joolsplus2
12-05-2010, 06:17 PM
Hah, that's funny...I think I had some of my seats several months early, but didn't even install one till I brought the kiddo home in it, baseless because DH couldn't figure out the Combi at ALL.

Yeah, I'd expect either better deals or cuter covers will be out soon, keep shopping till after Xmas, for sure.