PDA

View Full Version : New Year's Eve at WDW with a 13-month-old

Jrwusch
12-01-2010, 10:08 PM
We'll be in the area, so thought we might as well spend the day at WDW. Does it get super crazy/crowded? It'll be my first time there since I was a year old, and DH's since he was 6...so we're both very excited. We'll have our 13-month-old with us, what are the logistics of us spending New Year's Eve there? We won't be staying at the resort, just want to celebrate the New Year's at WDW.

Any suggestions/warnings would be greatly appreciated!!!

Smillow
12-01-2010, 10:51 PM
I was there 13+ years ago on NYE - it was a madhouse!

Jrwusch
12-01-2010, 11:01 PM
I was there 13+ years ago on NYE - it was a madhouse!

In a good or bad way?? :D :D

ErinMC
12-01-2010, 11:28 PM
Take my experience with a grain of salt, but...

We were there 5 years ago for NYE when DS1 was almost 2 and I was 6 months' pregnant with DS2. It was definitely a madhouse, and not in a good way (for me, anyways!) The week between Christmas and New Year's is one of the busiest of the year, and the lines were insane. The extended hours are nice, but (and maybe this is because i was tired and pregnant!) even at midnight it was packed, and we actually left Epcot at 11:45 pm - before midnight! - because the line to the restrooms was at least a half-hour and our hotel was closer and I was miserable. We went with the IL's, so they kept DS1 in their hotel room at night, which was excellent and a huge help, but a LOT of people just had their little ones at the park sleeping in strollers at midnight. Works for some families, but DS1 would NEVER have slept in a crowd in his stroller, and would have been a sobbing, over-exhausted mess.

Some people love that chaos, and it might totally be your cup of tea, but it was awful for me. We've been to WDW 4 times in the past 7 years and that was by far my least favorite trip.

Smillow
12-02-2010, 12:23 AM
In a good or bad way?? :D :D

In a good way for young, single people:tongue5:

I'm not sure about a 13 month old - would probably depend on the baby! Definitely bring a baby carrier!

partyof52011
12-02-2010, 03:24 PM
It is a nightmare! You honestly couldn't pay me enough to do that again and I LOVE Disney.

The week between Christmas and New Year's is the busiest week of the year. The parks close due to capacity. That means you can be in the park but really not do anything but be squished in the park with a gazillion other people. You would need to get to the park at opening and not leave until closing. If you get there later or leave and try to come back you very likely will not be able to.

If I was a teen/early 20 something(read young and stupid LOL!) I might do it. With a baby NO WAY!

If you just HAVE to be at Disney for NYE I would try to make a reservation for a late meal at a Disney resort such as the Polynesian and ring in the new year there. You can see the fireworks and it will still be nuts but less so then being in a park.

Jrwusch
12-03-2010, 08:31 PM
Now we're considering either New Year's Day (most people will still be recovering from the night before?) or Jan 2nd...hm...decisions decisions...

Momof3Labs
12-04-2010, 12:25 AM
Now we're considering either New Year's Day (most people will still be recovering from the night before?) or Jan 2nd...hm...decisions decisions...

On the crowd calendar, Dec 31 and Jan 1 are 10's (out of 10). Jan 2 is "only" an 8.

Jrwusch
12-04-2010, 08:45 PM
On the crowd calendar, Dec 31 and Jan 1 are 10's (out of 10). Jan 2 is "only" an 8.

Hm...what about 12/30?

billysmommy
12-05-2010, 09:11 AM
Hm...what about 12/30?

The week between Christmas & New Years is the busiest time of the year. I'm pretty sure they're all 10's, maybe down to a 9.