PDA

View Full Version : Good pot pie recipe?

gatorsmom
12-02-2010, 12:46 AM
I love chicken pot pie and would like to make a turkey pot pie with my leftover turkey. But I've yet to find a good recipe.

Any suggestions?

srhs
12-02-2010, 12:48 AM
Oh man, I don't have one, but the best pot pie I ever had (ok, I don't even normally like it) was at a country club that used phyllo dough. So, all I am saying is if you get a recipe with phyllo dough, pick that one!

DrSally
12-02-2010, 01:34 AM
I think Pioneer woman has a good one. I use a hybrid of a pillsbury receipe (very basic) and a few others. Basically--roux with onions, plus stock, veggies, and meat in a crust. Mmmm, pot pie. I like beef pot pies too.

MommyAllison
12-02-2010, 01:39 AM
The Pioneer Woman's version is amazing. It's in her cookbook, but not online. I can post the recipe tomorrow if you'd like!

gatorsmom
12-02-2010, 02:24 AM
The Pioneer Woman's version is amazing. It's in her cookbook, but not online. I can post the recipe tomorrow if you'd like!

Oh please! :boogie: I would love that because I was just about to do a search for her recipe.

I've been drooling for a good pot pie recipe for years. no exageration. :bouncy:

JenaW
12-03-2010, 07:17 PM
I doubt mine is as good as the PW (I LOVE her recipes) but it is fairly easy. I cook chicken breasts in olive oil/butter. Season liberally with salt/pepper/poultry seasoning/parsley. Add a bag of frozen mixed veggies. Stir in 1-2 cans (depending on how much other ingreds) of cream of "whatever" soup (chicken, mushroom, celery, etc). Add 1/2-1 can of chicken stock, milk, or white wine. Stir to combine. I use premade pie dough (the pillsbury or store bought kind that comes rolled up in a box in the fridge section) to line a pie plate. Pour in the chicken mix. Cover with 2nd pie crust and bake. You can also do individual ones in ramekins. I have done the same recipe with biscuit mix (just drop the biscuits on top) and puff pastry (cut out circles slightly larger than your "container".

We did a turkey one this year by combining leftovers (turkey, corn, broccoli casserole, and stuffing - just stirred all together). Added some gravy to moisten. Poured into buttered ramekins and topped with leftover mashed potatoes. Baked in oven just until the potatoes started to get golden, then topped with a small handful of shredded cheddar cheese and some garlic salt and broiled until bubbly and golden. MMMMM!

larig
12-03-2010, 07:37 PM
I think Pioneer woman has a good one. I use a hybrid of a pillsbury receipe (very basic) and a few others. Basically--roux with onions, plus stock, veggies, and meat in a crust. Mmmm, pot pie. I like beef pot pies too.
:yeahthat:
yeah, you could totally wing this based on DrSally's post. I would cook the onion for a bit in butter, then add the flour, then add the stock. I just add stock by taste & sight. I pre-cook my carrots & other vegetables to make sure they are tender.

happy2bamom
12-03-2010, 07:42 PM
I doubt mine is as good as the PW (I LOVE her recipes) but it is fairly easy. I cook chicken breasts in olive oil/butter. Season liberally with salt/pepper/poultry seasoning/parsley. Add a bag of frozen mixed veggies. Stir in 1-2 cans (depending on how much other ingreds) of cream of "whatever" soup (chicken, mushroom, celery, etc). Add 1/2-1 can of chicken stock, milk, or white wine. Stir to combine. I use premade pie dough (the pillsbury or store bought kind that comes rolled up in a box in the fridge section) to line a pie plate. Pour in the chicken mix. Cover with 2nd pie crust and bake. MMMMM!

This sounds exactly like my recipe and people always ask me for it. That being said, I'm keeping my eyes peeled to this thread for PW recipe.

DietCokeLover
12-03-2010, 07:46 PM
I would live to try PW's recipe. But, Paula Deen has a good recipe too. I'm on my iPod or I'd link it for you. It uses puff pastry for the crust.

annex
12-03-2010, 08:21 PM
I like the Alton Brown curry pot pie - so yummy! Roasting the frozen veggies makes them taste so much more flavorful. I add a little more liquid since I have had issues with it being too dry otherwise. I'll also sub pie dough, or Pillsbury crescent rolls for the top crust:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/curry-chicken-pot-pie-recipe/index.html

Ingredients

* 4 cups frozen vegetable mix, peas, carrots
* 1 to 2 tablespoons canola oil
* 3 tablespoons butter
* 1 cup chopped onion
* 1 cup chopped celery
* 1 1/2 cups low sodium chicken broth
* 1/2 cup milk
* 3 tablespoons flour
* 1 teaspoon curry powder
* 2 tablespoons dried parsley
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
* 2 cups cubed cooked chicken
* 1 package puff pastry

Directions

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

Toss frozen vegetables with canola oil and spread evenly onto a sheet pan. Place into oven and cook until golden brown.

In a saute pan heat 1 tablespoon of butter and sweat the onion and celery. In another saucepan, heat the broth and milk. Add 2 more tablespoons of butter to the celery mix and cook out the water. Add the flour and curry and cook for 1 to 2 minutes. Whisk in the hot milk mixture and cook until thickened. Add the parsley, salt and pepper. Toss the browned vegetables and the chicken. Pour into a shallow baking pan, or a large terra cotta pot base, lined with foil, and top with 6 to 8 circles of puff pastry. Place into the oven and cook until puff pastry has browned and the mixture is hot and bubbly, about 25 minutes.

kwc
12-04-2010, 12:06 AM
[QUOTE=annex;2946221]I like the Alton Brown curry pot pie - so yummy! Roasting the frozen veggies makes them taste so much more flavorful. I add a little more liquid since I have had issues with it being too dry otherwise. I'll also sub pie dough, or Pillsbury crescent rolls for the top crust:

We LOVE Alton Brown's recipe here... made it last week with a touch less curry and even one of the kids ate it. We use puff pastry, or biscuits make with trader joe's multigrain baking mix. The roasted veggies really make it.

MommyAllison
12-04-2010, 03:37 AM
Ok, here you go:

Pioneer Woman's Chicken Pot Pie
Makes one 9" pie

3 celery stalks
3 medium carrots, peeled
1 large yellow onion
4 Tbsp butter
1/2 cup frozen peas
2 cups cooked chicken (dark & light) cut into bite sized pieces
1 cup flour
2 cups chicken broth
1 chicken bouillon cube
1/4 cup white wine (optional)
1 cup heavy cream
1 tsp ground thyme
1 tsp kosher salt, or more to taste
Black pepper to taste
1/2 recipe Perfect Pie Crust http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2007/12/p-p-p-pie_crust_and_its_p-p-p-perfect/

Preheat oven to 400*. Begin by finely dicing the vegetables. Slice the celery stalks into narrow strips, then slice in the other direction to create a fine dice. Repeat the process with the carrots and the onion. Melt the butter in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onions, carrots, celery and peas. Saute until the vegetables start to turn translucent, a couple of minutes.

Add the chicken and stir to combine. Sprinkle the flour evenly over the vegetables and chicken and stir to combine. Cook for a couple of minutes, stirring gently. Pour in the chicken broth, stirring constantly. Stir in the bouillon cube and wine, if using. The flour will combine with the chicken to create a delicious gravy. Pour in the cream and stir. Allow the mixture to cook over low heat, thickening gradually, about 4 minutes. Season with the thyme, salt, and pepper. Remove from heat. Taste and adjust the seasonings as needed. Be sure it's adequately salted!

Pour the chicken mixture into a deep pie pan or small casserole dish. Roll out the crust so that it's 1" larger than the pan. Place the crust on top of the chicken mixture and cut small slits in the top. Press the crust gentle into the sides of the dish to seal. I don't worry about making a perfect edge on my chicken pot pie because a) it looks more rustic and b) I'm lazy and hungry, and I want to eat. Bake for 30 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbly. Cool for 10 minutes before serving. Use a large spoon to serve.

*My notes: For the crust, I just roll it out and toss it on top. It never quite covers the whole thing, but is just as delicious. Also, I skip the white wine and it is still amazing! Enjoy :)