PDA

View Full Version : Brownies from mix w/o eggs......

TamiRuns
12-02-2010, 07:19 PM
This has nothing to do with egg allergy......I had a serious chocolate craving yesterday and a box of brownie mix. However, no eggs and didn't feel like dragging a sick kiddo to the store. When I searched for an acceptable substitute on-line, the only thing I had that came close was Miracle Whip- but that sounded gross so I threw in (along with the water & oil) 1/2 container of vanilla yogurt, about a cup of chocolate chips and underbaked it by about 3-4 minutes........mmmmmm! It came out just fine if you like fudge-y brownies. So if you find yourself in the same situation, a brownie emergency, give it a try!

SnuggleBuggles
12-02-2010, 07:39 PM
I have made the No Pudge mix in individual portions (microwave in a mug) with vanilla yogurt. Yummy enough to satisfy.

Your recipe sounds really good!

Beth

neeleymartin
12-02-2010, 09:21 PM
your post reminded me of the "cock-eyed cake" from the vintage "i hate to cook book" by peg bracken. i grew up eating this stuff. more like a chocolate cake, amazingly easy, you mix in the pan that you cook it in. here is a link:

http://www.food.com/recipe/cockeyed-cake-62430

yummy. made popular during the depression, when eggs were scarce or expensive (i forget which, probably both).