PDA

View Full Version : Labial adhesion in babies and Premarin treatment (or not)

citymama
12-03-2010, 04:01 AM
At DD2's 6 month appt, the ped. said her labia minora are starting to fuse, which is a relatively common development (2%) in babies around the 3-6 month mark after they start to lose the estrogen they had in utero. He prescribed what he called progesterone cream, but I guess is really estrogen cream (Premarin). He said it should resolve within a couple of weeks of application. He said we could try just keeping the area clean and using Dessitin for a few weeks, and see if that helps, although he thinks it's unlikely to resolve without the hormone cream. DD2 screamed in discomfort when he was evaluating her, so I can't bear to put her through added discomfort by checking myself, but I suspect the problem persists.

The ped. did caution us that left untreated this can increase her risk of UTIs and other infections behind the adhesion. In other words, he doesn't want us to just do nothing.

Anyone else have this issue with their babies? Did you use the Premarin, and did it do the trick? The idea of applying hormones on my infant freaks me out, more so b/c I read about potential side effects on the baby (supposedly temporary) and potential exposure to her big sis. Ugh, ugh.

Thanks for any feedback.

daisymommy
12-03-2010, 09:09 AM
I *thought* at one point that DD had them, so I did a ton of research on the subject before we could get to her Ped. appointment. They didn't consider it an emergency (it wasn't of course), so we had a one week wait to be seen. Turns out her anatomy was just so small I didn't understand what I was seeing, and she didn't have them.

Everything I read, everywhere, said to wait it out until puberty. That estrogen releasing in their body over time (usually even before puberty) will release the adhesions in the vast majority of girls. Only in rare cases will it not release and require treatment.

Clarity
12-03-2010, 09:22 AM
DD2 had some adhesion. I had never heard about it until I had her to the pediatrician for the well check and he noticed it, took the opposite end of one of the "stick" style q-tips and gently opened the adhesion. Everything I've read since says not to do that but honestly, I had no idea at the time and it happened so quick. I will say that he was very careful and afterwards I did not have to use any premarin, we just applied aquaphor to the adhesion area each day and she hasn't had any problems since.

Edensmum
12-03-2010, 09:38 AM
There is a cream they can use. Don't let them pull them open.

mom2binsd
12-03-2010, 09:38 AM
I know of two friends whose DD's had the same issue and the cream did the trick, of course their DH's would have nothing to do with the application of the cream, seemed that was too much for them!?

DrSally
12-03-2010, 09:42 AM
I thought DD may have had it (she didn't), so I did some reading on it. Just like an uncircumcised p#@is, you're not supposed to let them pull on it, or it will get worse. I'm not sure what I would do about cream/no cream. Maybe I'd see if it gets any worse/seems to cause any problems. I *think* I read that A&D type ointment can help (not sure if the dr. was recommending Desitin diaper zinc ointment or what), in that it keeps the area moist?

DebbieJ
12-03-2010, 10:17 AM
My niece had it and they used the cream. She's fine now.

american_mama
12-03-2010, 11:17 AM
I know nada about this, but did want to mention that if a boy is having adhesions to the foreskin, prescription strength cortisone cream is usually used. Of course, I've heard of cortisone and use it without a second thought in the form of CortAid and other over the counter stuff, but I really don't know what cortisone is exactly. But would this work with girls and, if so, would it be more acceptable to you than the Premarin? Honestly, if the doctor suggested Desitin as an alternative, I wonder if the cortisone would do the trick. Isn't it a skin issue more than a hormone issue?

Here is an article written by ped urologists about using coristone cream on an uncircumised penis for adhesions (see end of the paper under the section "Management of phimosis." http://www.cirp.org/library/hygiene/camille1/
It's an easy read, tells about the cream, the strength and the efficacy in boys. Might be helpful to you and/or your pediatrician in considering it for a girl.

lalasmama
12-03-2010, 11:23 AM
DD had them, and we used the cream. DN had them, and we used the cream. I never even gave it a second thought, honestly; it only took a little while of applying the cream and things were back to normal....

citymama
12-03-2010, 03:00 PM
DD had them, and we used the cream. DN had them, and we used the cream. I never even gave it a second thought, honestly; it only took a little while of applying the cream and things were back to normal....

Mimi, at what age did you use the cream, and how long did you need to use it before the adhesion resolved?

lalasmama
12-03-2010, 11:31 PM
It seems like DD had them 2-3 times... like 1-2 times before a year old (9 months and 11 months are sticking out in my mind), and once as a toddler (??maybe around 20 mos). DN had them when she was about 6 months as well. It seems like with both girls, we used the cream for maybe 2 weeks or so, and everything was better. Forgive me--DN is 8.5 years old, and DD is 6.75 years, so it's been a while! :)