PDA

View Full Version : when did you first take your children to Disneyland?

AnnieW625
12-03-2010, 01:34 PM
We took DD1 when she was 21 months old. DD1 now 4 wants to go again, but we kind of wanted to not take DD2 until she was almost 2. Ahh the joys of living 20 minutes from the happiest place on Earth!

swissair81
12-03-2010, 01:37 PM
My kids have never been to Disney Land. We're taking them to Disney World for midwinter vacation though. I had an aunt and uncle who lived in California. Every time they made a bar mitzvah for one of their kids, we got a trip to Disney Land. They have 5 boys, so I managed to be there quite a lot.

elektra
12-03-2010, 01:38 PM
We took DD on her first birthday, as a first time. We are kind of making it a tradition to go on her birthday each year.
DS's first time was about 5 months- I took him on tons of rides!
We also go about 1-2 times a year outside of that day (BIL works there and signs us in to both parks for free).

crl
12-03-2010, 01:42 PM
Never been to DL. Just took the kids to WDW for the first time. Ds was 7 years o,d and dd was 8 months old. If we go back, it probably won't be until dd is 7. Dh has no desire to go to DL so I'm not sure we ever will.

Catherine

hellokitty
12-03-2010, 01:44 PM
We took my kids out to DL when my brother got married in San Diego a few yrs ago. At the time, my kids were 4 yo and 3 yo. They really loved it. DS2 (3 yr old) did nap in the stroller, it's like the only time he's ever napped in a stroller before. If you don't want to take your 21 mo yr old, is there any way that it can just be a day out with you and your 4 yr old, and your husband or another family member stay at home with your younger one, since you are only 20 min away?

smiles33
12-03-2010, 01:45 PM
I've really been wanting to go, so I'll be watching this thread. DH thinks we need to wait until DD2 is 3 or 4 (making DD1 7 or 8!) since DD1 is too timid to go on rides at any of our local children's amusement parks. I just keep reading that once you get past 4 or 5, it's not the same "magical" experience where you think Belle/Ariel/Cinderella are all real.

Tondi G
12-03-2010, 01:46 PM
Both of my boys went when they were babies. We had annual passes. My DH loves Disneyland more than his own children!

Went with our playgroup with DS1 ... we all laughed that 5 or 6 babies got on to Pirates of the Caribbean wide awake and happy and 5 of them came off knocked out! :)

DS2 went to Knotts Berry Farm when he was 4 months old and I think we went to Disneyland when he was maybe 5 or 6 months old. It's great that they have so many rides that small babies can go on!

groundhog74
12-03-2010, 01:47 PM
They haven't been to Disneyland, but we've been to Disney World a few times. DS was around 2 1/2 when he first went, and DD was around 3 months when she first went.

luckytwenty
12-03-2010, 01:50 PM
We live a few hours from Disney World so we go about once a year. (Lots of our friends go more often than that.) We went for the first time when our oldest was 4 and left his little sister (she was 18 months) at home w/ grandparents. We went back with her included about six months later.

I think it's good for toddlers and great for kids 4 & older. Not sure what we'll do now that we have a baby. Might wait till he's weaned and go with the big kids...

crl
12-03-2010, 01:53 PM
I've really been wanting to go, so I'll be watching this thread. DH thinks we need to wait until DD2 is 3 or 4 (making DD1 7 or 8!) since DD1 is too timid to go on rides at any of our local children's amusement parks. I just keep reading that once you get past 4 or 5, it's not the same "magical" experience where you think Belle/Ariel/Cinderella are all real.

7 was the perfect age for ds. He was tall enough for all the rides, young enough to LOVE the characters, but old enough not to be scared of them or too shy to approach them. He was also old enough to do full days and evenings of activity. I'm sure lots of kids have a ball at all sorts of ages though.

Catherine

codex57
12-03-2010, 01:58 PM
DS was 1. Too early IMO. It was more for the adults, but since we tried to do things for him, we ended up not doing much at all.

rlu
12-03-2010, 03:04 PM
We're in the South Bay so DL is not a day-trip for us.

We took DS when he was 19 months and it worked out well - he was throughly engaged yet napped in the afternoon (like pp the only time he ever slept in a stroller) and nursed well enough despite the atmosphere (didn't do much nip before that). However, if I had not had a conference there, we probably would have waited until he didn't nap anymore.

He was a little unsure the first time he saw a costumed character, but quickly overcame that shyness. He just didn't really care if he saw them or not so we didn't have to wait in too many picture lines.

We are going this year the week of Christmas (MIL's choice) and DS is 48" and therefore hopefully tall enough to go on most of the rides he wants to. He does enjoy the faster rides he has been on, so I suspect we'll be doing more than Dumbo and Rockets this time. I can't wait to take him on Small World (it was closed when we were there before) and Pirates this time.

Even though DS will be 6.5 and may realize the characters are not really the characters (just as the Santas in the mall are "helpers" and not the real Santa) I still think the trip will be magical for him. You bring your magic with you - if you are willing to have fun you will (willing suspense of disbelief ykwim?)

WatchingThemGrow
12-03-2010, 03:08 PM
DD was almost 4.5 (perfect!), DS1 was almost 3 (pretty okay) and DS2 was 16mo (way too early). We'll be going 1-2x a year to WDW since we got 10 day no expiration passes and we can pop over for a day or two when we visit my mom.

TwinFoxes
12-03-2010, 03:37 PM
We took DDs to WDW at 28 months...and that was pushing it for me, I was having serious Disney withdrawal! They had an absolute blast, they loved the characters and the rides. If we still lived in SoCal, I'm sure we would have gone around their first birthdays. We had annual passes before kids, the girls would have just been an excuse to go even more often!

The first time I remember going to Disneyland, I was 3 years old, I don't think it was our first time though.

I think the rides at Disneyland/Magic Kingdom are in a different category than kiddie park rides. They really are magical and child friendly (if you pick the right ones, as egoldberg says, it's called "Snow White's SCARY Adventures for a reason!) There's Dumbo, the railroad, Autopia (WDW Speedway), it's a small world, the list goes on. There are plenty of things for little kids to do.

But, even if you go past 4 or 5, I still think it's magical. They may know that the giant mouse isn't real, but they'll suspend their disbelief while they're meeting him. Their faces will still light up, and they'll be able to go on even more rides. In other words, I think any time is magical (but clearly I'm a Disneyphile!)

cindys
12-03-2010, 03:39 PM
We took my 4 yr old for the 1st time to WDW when he was about 18mos and he loved it...

We went again when my baby was 7 weeks and my 4 yr old was about 3....It was sooooo much fun...

It was a breeze with the baby...He ate and slept...

We are hoping to go again next year...We go the week after Thanksgiving when the park is decorated for Christmas, the weather is nice and its not crowded!

Cindy
Mama to 3 boys...19, 4 & 2 :heartbeat::heartbeat::heartbeat:

babychi
12-03-2010, 03:43 PM
We are planning on taking our DD to WDW next fall when she is 22 months...hoping this will be an OK age because DH is super eager to go!

Tenasparkl
12-03-2010, 03:44 PM
We took her for the first time at 15 months because someone gave us free tickets that were about to expire. It was fun and there were things that she liked but it was near Christmas and WAY too crowded. We went again right around her second birthday and she just loved it. We're trying to sneak in another trip before the holiday crowds this year.

sste
12-03-2010, 03:45 PM
We are going to disneyworld with a 3.25 year old and a six month old in Feb. I think the how old questions depends on a variety of factors. One, as twin foxes mentioned, is whether the trip is: "Just for the kids . . . parents don't enjoy that sort of thing" versus "parents and kids are looking forward to this vacation." We fell in the latter category so I was happy to take the "risk" of it perhaps not being ideal for very young kids. I have already booked the sitter for an evening and if it comes to that we will hire more sitting as dh and I are going to have fun even if our kids unexpectedly hate it!

I also wanted to go when DS thinks the characters are real. *But* my son is absolutely fearless about life-sized characters and he has an almost macabre enjoyment of ghosts, pirates, monsters, etc. When he was two years old, he apprehended a life-sized Spot the dog at a story hour at B&N and wouldn't let go of his tail. The manager was yelling, "Little boy. . . Spot needs to catch the subway home. Let go!" This Halloween he was shaking the hands of scary witch figures and trying to feed skeletons impaled on the ground. Go figure.

So, I would also factor in child's personality. :)

JElaineB
12-03-2010, 04:04 PM
DS's first trip to WDW will be in March when he is 8.5. My parents are taking us for our Christmas present! We're very excited. DH has never been either, it has been about 30 years since I went. None of us have ever been to Disneyland though.

JamiMac
12-03-2010, 04:08 PM
3 weeks old. ;) We had passes and so my DD2 went when she was tiny, so we could take DD1 who was 3 at the time. She was in the sling or stroller bassinet the whole time. I went quite a few times throughout her first year and would take both girls. The best place to nurse is Pirates of the Caribbean! We haven't been in several years because we moved away from Southern California. I can't wait to take all three kids next summer though. DS will be three.

ourbabygirl
12-03-2010, 04:16 PM
We haven't taken the kids yet, but hope to go in about 3 years, when DD will be 5 and DS will be 3. They'll have their golden birthdays in 2013, turning 3 and 5 within two days of one another, so I told DH that we'll celebrate by taking them to Disney World. I went to both as a kid and liked Disney World better (correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought DW was bigger and had more to do there). :) That gives us plenty of time to plan and save up money so we hopefully won't have to scrimp on meals and things.

Any suggestions on the best month(s) to go there? Their birthdays are at the beginning of October... I've heard it's busiest/ most expensive around typical school breaks like the weeks around Christmas and Easter. But since it's nice here at home in the spring, summer, and early fall, I'd kind of rather go on vacation when it's winter and nasty here.

bubbaray
12-03-2010, 04:18 PM
2009, DD#1 was just 5, DD#2 was 2. We went for DD#1's b-day. We also went the next year (2010). Now they think they get to go every year, LOL.

We will probably go again next year 2011/12. DH needs a break this year.

It was very magical for DD#1 -- IMO 4 or 5 is a pretty special age if they are into princesses. DD#2 is completely terrified of the characters with fake heads (ie., most of them) and screams in terror. We are hoping a year off will help that.

ETA: We go to DL, only a 2hr direct flight. We'll wait until both girls are the minimum ride height for all rides at WDW before we brave the 7 hour flight with connections.

alexsmommy
12-03-2010, 04:23 PM
WDW for DS1's 5th b-day.

momof2girls
12-03-2010, 04:25 PM
I've never been to DL but have been to DisneyWorld every yr dince DD#1 was 4 and DD#2 was 15 months old. It was actually easy the first trip then got really hard when DD#2 was 2 1/2 yrs old then got easier with subsequent trips.

infomama
12-03-2010, 04:28 PM
WDW for us and we waited until dd1 was 5. We are going on a cruise next year and then back to WDW when Dd2 is 5.
That will probably be our last trip there.

AnnieW625
12-03-2010, 04:31 PM
Thanks for all of the input. I think I am going through Disney withdrawl honestly! DH got to take DD1 in June and that was the last time we went before our passes expired. Maybe we'll do one day passes (there is a seller on Ebay who sells them cheap, $55 park hoppers) so maybe we'll do that sometime this Spring with DD1 again, and plan on doing that again next fall, and then in spring 2012 DD2 should be ready to go again.

Neither DH nor I have been to WDW and so we are currently researching options to go sometime in 2013 or 2014 when the girls will be 7, and 3 or 8, and 4. Ideally we'd love to do the cruise and then spend time at WDW.

caleymama
12-03-2010, 04:40 PM
Well, my DDs are 6 and 8 and have never been to Disneyworld or Disneyland. I think I was 4th grade the first time I went. I don't think DH has ever been and he really has no desire to go. I wouldn't mind taking DDs, but it's not high on my list of destinations and at this point all of our vacations have been within driving distance and neither DW or DL is.

As an aside, I thought it was interesting that of the few families whose kids couldn't come to DD2's birthday party over the Thanksgiving holiday, three of the families were at Disneyworld! (And we're in NY!) Some other friends of ours leave tomorrow for DW for a week.

maestramommy
12-03-2010, 05:13 PM
We went when Dora was 2.5 and Arwyn was 8 months. But the only reason we went was because we got half off tickets from Dora's EI program. We will probably not go again until Laurel is 3-5.

mom2binsd
12-03-2010, 06:21 PM
Never to either yet, DD who is 7 is going to miss out on the "magical" aspect of it from a child's perspective, but we've never been able to afford any vacation since she was born.

I keep hoping some day...I'm so jealous of all of you!!!!

I think going to DL vs WDW is also pretty different, seems going to DL takes much less planning, esp easy for you SOCal folks!

I've never heard of kids getting bored of going though, but I guess I'd wonder how much a 21month old can do, but I'm not familiar with the rides etc.

alien_host
12-03-2010, 06:35 PM
We went to DL for one day when DD was 5 since we happened to be in the area for a wedding. We took our first trip to WDW about two weeks prior (this trip had been planned first, the DL thing was a bonus).

For us 5 was the perfect age. She didn't need to nap, fully potty trained, could sleep on a fold out couch. If she were 3.5 or under, those things would have caused some extra "difficulties". I liked that she had decent stamina at age 5.

It also was very magical for her. I'm glad we waited until she was 5 to experience Disney. She still talks about it all the time so it definitely made an impression.

goldenpig
12-03-2010, 08:57 PM
We are going to be in SoCal for part of Christmas break. Would it be insane for us to take DD for the first time between Christmas & New Years? She's never been. DH is not crazy about Disney, so if it's going to be too crowded we may do something else like Sea World or Legoland.

Twoboos
12-03-2010, 09:03 PM
Well, my DDs are 6 and 8 and have never been to Disneyworld or Disneyland. I think I was 4th grade the first time I went.

:yeahthat: except my DDs are 5 and 7! Sometimes I feel so evil that they have not been yet. But the idea of WDW and all the planning and organizing completely overwhelms me, and DH isn't a fan anyways. Although I do want to take them!

I find it hard to believe it won't be "magical" now that they are a little older. I remember being THRILLED when I was 10 and got to meet Mickey and Minnie!! And I'm pretty sure those were people in a costume. ;)

BarbieSmith
12-03-2010, 11:37 PM
I was 13 my first (and only) time! And I loved it. I think it would have been even better had I been younger, but trust me, 13 is a great age for it, too :)

MelissaTC
12-03-2010, 11:58 PM
Took a trip for his 7th b-day to Disneyland and Legoland. ;)

We took our first trip to WDW when he was 15 or 16 months. He loved it. And we took him back at least once a year after that.

Twin Mom
12-04-2010, 12:14 AM
They still haven't been. I've been wanting to take them to DW but it's too hot in the summer and too crowded on school breaks so I've never been able to figure out a good time.

Melanie
12-04-2010, 12:20 AM
2 1/4 yr and he was scared of all the characters. We didn't even think of it and started the day with a character breakfast which sufficiently terrified him so the rest of the day we spent dodging characters. Everytime he saw them he'd whimper "go home....go home..." The next time was just under 3 yr and it went much better.

Melanie
12-04-2010, 12:20 AM
We are going to be in SoCal for part of Christmas break. Would it be insane for us to take DD for the first time between Christmas & New Years? She's never been. DH is not crazy about Disney, so if it's going to be too crowded we may do something else like Sea World or Legoland.

Yes it would. I'm sorry. :(

Tondi G
12-04-2010, 01:27 AM

I've been during the week between Xmas and new years and it was PACKED. Not fun at all .... all the lines were LONG and it was borderline dangerous for us. DS1 was in the stroller and we were attempting to make it through a crowd. I had 2 people nearly fall over the stroller and on to my DS. I vowed we would never visit Disneyland again around Xmas and new years. It is known to be THE busiest time of the entire year.

goldenpig
12-04-2010, 01:31 AM
Yes it would. I'm sorry. :(

I've been during the week between Xmas and new years and it was PACKED. Not fun at all .... all the lines were LONG and it was borderline dangerous for us. DS1 was in the stroller and we were attempting to make it through a crowd. I had 2 people nearly fall over the stroller and on to my DS. I vowed we would never visit Disneyland again around Xmas and new years. It is known to be THE busiest time of the entire year.

OK, doesn't sound fun...we will stay away! Thanks!

citymama
12-04-2010, 02:00 AM
I first went when I was 9!! And I was absolutely able to enjoy it. MIL wants to take DD1 for her 5th birthday, but I'm thinking we'll wait till she's 6 and DD2 is 2, so she can get something out of it as well. I'm trying to delay the inevitable for as long as I possibly can...

daniele_ut
12-04-2010, 02:45 AM
We took our kids to Disneyland in October for DS's 6th birthday. DD was 2 years, 8 months at the time. They both did really well. I'm already thinking about our next trip!

I've been to WDW a bunch of times, but they were all pre-kids. I remember thinking that DL would be a let down after WDW, but it was just the opposite for me. DL was really much easier to do with kids than when we took my SIL and BIL and their 4 kids to WDW.

jamesmom
12-04-2010, 09:05 AM
DD was 4 and DS was 6 on our first trip to Disneyland. That was a great age for my DCs to go, IMO, because DD really enjoyed meeting the characters. She couldn't have done it when she was younger because she would have run away screaming anytime we met a costumed character :)