PDA

View Full Version : When did your DC stop napping?

ourbabygirl
12-03-2010, 04:19 PM
DD is almost 26 months but has started skipping some naps/ putting up a big fuss at naptime, so I've had to let her cry herself to sleep sometimes (I know she's tired and needs a nap, though).

If you have more than one DC, please mark whichever options apply.

Thanks!

AnnieW625
12-03-2010, 04:22 PM
DD1 has pretty much given up the nap at home these days as she says 4 yos don't take naps. She still naps occaisionally at daycare. DD1 went on napping strikes at home a few times starting at the age of 2 (it was usually connected with teething), but we would just let her CIO too and most of the time it worked. So honestly I wouldn't give up on the nap just yet.

KrisM
12-03-2010, 04:28 PM
DS1 stopped at just over 2.5. We stopped them for him because a 30 minute nap meant a 4 hour later bedtime!

DD stopped on her own a week after turning 2.

DS2 is not quite 2.5 and he naps 4-5 days a week, but only in the car.

clc053103
12-03-2010, 04:29 PM
I voted older than 4.5- please explain. so here goes!

DS still napped daily until just beyond 4.5. He is now 5.5 and he still naps if he's tired or if we have plans that evening that might keep us out later than 8. So he naps maybe 2 times a week.

MoJo
12-03-2010, 04:31 PM
I can't answer the poll, as my 2 1/2 year old is napping at this very minute! But she started skipping sometimes around 24 months. She also started climbing out of the crib quickly and consistently at that age.

I've tried the "lay down with your eyes closed for five minutes" trick, but it rarely works. So my possibly-bad-mommy answer is that she naps when she feels like it (probably 5 times a week) and not when she doesn't.

All that's to say you are certainly not alone!

g-mama
12-03-2010, 04:38 PM
My oldest stopped at 3 years. 9 months.

My youngest stopped at 4.5, but that had a lot to do with the fact that summer started and his older brothers were home all day, rather than at school, so I couldn't get him to lay down when he knew he was missing out on whatever they were doing.

My middle ds stopped at 5 years, 9 months. I had to stop letting him nap b/c he was about to start all day kindergarten. This is my child, who, at age 7 will go lay down on his bed sometimes and just take a nap. Or he will lay down on the couch and fall asleep in the midst of major commotion of the other two kids running, yelling and playing all around him. Come to think of it, he's just like his dad!! :ROTFLMAO:

crl
12-03-2010, 04:42 PM
Ds stopped altogether at just past three. We had about three or four months of transition where he would nap for two or three days in a row and then not nap for two or three days in a row. He did go on a week-long nap strike at 18 months and I was terrified that he had quit altogether (my brother stopped napping before age 2). But he went back to napping and obviously continued for another 18 months or so.

Catherine

Minnifer
12-03-2010, 04:48 PM
Much to my dismay DD started giving them up before 2 - we worked *really* hard to try to keep them, but they were pretty much gone shortly after 2 (and no "quiet time" has ever worked with her either). Now, she will occasionally fall asleep in the stroller for 30 min or so once a week - but even that little bit messes with her bedtime. She really only needs the 11 - 11.5 hours she gets at night.

kboyle
12-03-2010, 04:56 PM
i voted 3-3.5 as an avg, ds1 stopped napping around 3y, ds2 at 5y still naps 3 out of a 5 day week (we don't require naps on weekends), and ds3 who is 3.5y still naps almost daily. at some point they all "took breaks" and didn't nap, but would start napping again a couple weeks later. i just NEVER break the routine...until they are in school all day they are required a "rest" period.

fauve01
12-03-2010, 05:30 PM
I couldn't vote because dd quit napping at 19 months. Yes you read that right, 19 months! i tried everything to get her to keep napping but nothing worked. her bedtime did move earlier, which was nice, but she just didn't want to miss anything during the day and she wasn't cranky at all. this is also the kid who NEVER slept in the car, even as a newborn. i ended up selling my stroller because she wouldn't even sit in that, much less sleep in it. this child flew all from CA to London and didn't fall asleep (at age 4). she's just not a sleeper! sigh.

A + DD 10-03

PunkyBoo
12-03-2010, 05:37 PM
I can't vote as Punkin stopped napping at 21 months old, younger than any of your poll options. Yup, he NEVER was a good day sleeper, not even from birth. But I did keep him on "rest time" after lunch until he was 5 and I had Boo.

Boo is a great napper and gets very angry if he doesn't get his nap when he wants it. I'm hoping he naps for years to come!! :)

sidmand
12-03-2010, 05:59 PM
I didn't vote (yet) because DS was forced to give up his naps when he started full day preschool at age 3. He probably would've napped for much longer! And I'm still holding out hope although I'm pretty sure DD has all but given up her naps. Some days I don't even bother trying. I'm not ready to say they're gone for good, but I think they are.

MommyAllison
12-03-2010, 06:45 PM
I voted for my DD, who stopped napping daily shortly after her third birthday. This fall I started having her go in her room for an hour of rest time when I put DS down for his nap. This way, DS knows he isn't missing anything and goes to sleep easily, and DD will fall asleep a couple days a week, typically. On weekends, I only have her stay in her room until DS is asleep, then she can come hang out with DH and I.

DS is 2.5 and still naps for 2 hours every afternoon. Once or twice a month he'll refuse to go down at nap time, and then I find him crashed out wherever he is playing just before dinner time. :) He's always needed his sleep though - he still took 3 naps a day when he turned one.

alirebco
12-03-2010, 07:01 PM
I didn't vote since my child still naps but at almost 3 years old, he is now skipping naps and naps about every other day. I wish the nap would continue on forever!

luckytwenty
12-03-2010, 08:30 PM
My daughter turned 5 this week and still *needs* a nap. When she gets home from school (preK doesn't have a nap time) she almost always crashes on the couch, and we have a hard time waking her up. On the weekends, she naps for a few hours.

My son stopped napping before his fourth birthday, on the other hand.

SpaceGal
12-03-2010, 08:42 PM
DS1 is 5.5 and DS2 is 3.5 and DD is 1.5. They all still nap. DS1 is in afternoon kindergarten so no naps for him on school days but on Fridays, Saturdays and some Sundays he naps.

DD could skip but is super cranky if she does and the same goes for DS2. So I let them nap. As silly as this might sound I remember napping for a long time growing up...probably up until I was say 7 or 8 years old. Maybe because I felt lonely as an only child or because I was bored but I recall napping 2-3 hours at times.

Twoboos
12-03-2010, 09:05 PM
DD2 gave it up when the Binky Fairy accidentally took naps along with her pacis. She was just over 3 and I was HORRIFIED.

DD1 would at least do quiet time (and sometimes fell asleep!) up until DD2 stopped napping, so she was near 5. DD2 would NOT do quiet time at all, so that was the end for both of them.

Beth24
12-03-2010, 10:05 PM
All 3 of my older kids were napping at age 5 when they started kindergarten and had to stop!

cheri
12-03-2010, 10:31 PM
DD1 stopped napping between 12 and 18 months (ugh). We tried and tried, but she wouldn't have any of it. She definitely _needed_ naps still, but fought it so incredibly hard.

DD2 still naps daily :)--she's almost 28 months and seems to be going strong with the napping. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!!

maestramommy
12-03-2010, 11:19 PM
Dora is just 5, and still naps, but not consistently. Sometimes she will go up to 3 days with no nap, sometimes she will nap but short, and not until later in the afternoon, sometimes she will just lie down on the couch and zone out.

But Laurel is 17 months and my worst napper. I will not be surprised if she stops napping MUCH sooner.

jjjo1112
12-04-2010, 02:13 AM
This thread makes me feel so much better :) Everyone around me was questioning why my newly 5 year old is STILL napping, like it's a problem. He still needs a nap and quite frankly is usually asleep before my younger 2. My 1 1/2 and 3 1/2 year old girls both still nap as well. The baby sleeps for usually 2.5 hours, the 3 yo usually sleeps for 2 hours and the 5 year old usually sleeps for 1 1/2 hours.
He does miss his nap every monday for hockey practice and sometimes over the weekend depending on when his hockey games are, but in reality if any of my kids miss their naps they are ready for bed by 6:30.

citymama
12-04-2010, 02:13 AM
DD1 is almost 4 and 3/4ths but still naps almost every day at day care. She almost never naps at home except in the car, coming back from a busy activity.