PDA

View Full Version : okay, some DisneyLAND questions... (nevermind, have to change plans... again)

fivi2
12-03-2010, 07:43 PM
I am already thinking about this summer's vacation. I wanted to go somewhere else, but dh is leaning toward disney. The girls will be 5.5 and still love all things disney, so I guess we might as well. dh wants to do world again, but I would like to look into disneyland. (it looks like it has some cool stuff that WDW doesn't have)

So, it seems like 3 days (maybe 4) would be enough at DL? I am trying to figure out where else to go... San Diego or LA kind of seem like they would be too crazy - we'd be constantly busy. Would it make more sense to split with an OC beach area (which one?) Is it possible to rent a beach condo or something and then make the trek into Anaheim on disney days (so we could spread it out - DL day, beach day, DL day, etc). Or is that too much of a pain?

Finally is there a good time to go when it will be beach weather, but not too hot and crowded at DL? What would be a good time between May, June, July? aarggh!

I know these are probably ridiculous questions, but I know nothing about Southern California.

(ps we are in Texas, so halfway between the two and airfare is usually similar)

Tondi G
12-06-2010, 12:16 AM
between May, June and July I would say pick May! temps will be cooler and more comfortable for Disneyland ... you could end up with good weather for the beach or it could be overcast (we have May Grey and June Gloom at the coast in so cal). Most So Cal schools get out for summer break in mid to late June so May is a better time to visit the parks. I wouldn't want to make the trek in from the beach to Disney.... you are looking at the very least a 30 minute drive depending on where you might stay ... and you could hit some bad traffic. The closest beaches would be Huntington Beach or Newport Beach, I think. I would probably just plan to spend time at the pool at the hotel ... if you stay at the D-land hotel or the Grand Californian they have pools with water slides etc. My boys love the D-land hotel neverland pool. One thing to consider if you were planning on staying at the Disneyland hotel is that they are renovating the towers and the pool area. We have stayed in a renovated room and they are fantastic!

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2010/05/disneyland-hotel-makeover/

TwinFoxes
12-06-2010, 04:40 PM
I agree with PP, May would be the best time to come. I think June is some of the worst weather in SoCal, the June gloom is really disappointing to visitors. I think 3 days is good, 4 if you're a Disneyholic. ;)

I wouldn't try to trek to DL from the beach. You'd want to get in early, and you'd have to deal with SoCal traffic. Nothing beats waking up and walking to the parks.

AnnieW625
12-06-2010, 06:26 PM
So, it seems like 3 days (maybe 4) would be enough at DL? I am trying to figure out where else to go... San Diego or LA kind of seem like they would be too crazy - we'd be constantly busy. Would it make more sense to split with an OC beach area (which one?) Is it possible to rent a beach condo or something and then make the trek into Anaheim on disney days (so we could spread it out - DL day, beach day, DL day, etc). Or is that too much of a pain?
I think that if you don't get some sort of deal parking wise that you should just stay at the hotel. Daily parking there is $14 or $15 I think (although it's included when you buy your tickets at AAA).

Finally is there a good time to go when it will be beach weather, but not too hot and crowded at DL? What would be a good time between May, June, July? aarggh!
June is a little unpredictable, but there is a little bit of sun in the afternoons, but June gloom doesn't bother me much. I think if you did the first week of June you might be okay, but you might start seeing people who are school vacation too because in some states schools get out the end of May. I still think early to mid May will be better, just dress in layers. I have never been on Mothers Day, but I bet that is one of those days that I would try to avoid DL.

Honestly I don't think San Diego would be that crowded, and in general May is the coldest month of the year down there, and if you went in mid May you'll beat the crowds. There is a lot to do there, but I don't find it overwhelming.

fivi2
12-06-2010, 07:59 PM
Thanks guys, but once again my vacation dreams are going to have to be scrapped...

Apparently I can't take vacation until after mid June (not because I'm new, but because of stuff going on at work).

So this puts us back into August range most likely (because of summer care schedule), so probably no disney - world or land. Which really stinks because this is last year before kinder and last year going at low crowd time... arrgh.

So I am totally bummed about all of it at the moment!

Thanks for the advice. I will try to avoid asking anymore vacation questions for a while :)

crl
12-07-2010, 12:48 AM
Sorry! Hope you find something great to do for vacation!

Catherine