PDA

View Full Version : bumbleride flyer

AidanRyanMom
12-03-2010, 09:48 PM
I am looking for a stroller for my third child due in February. It's amazing how much has changed in the last 7 years in the stroller world. For my first two I had a Maclaren Global Buggy (they don't make it anymore, but from what I can tell it's similar to a techno). My older two are 5 and 7, so no need for a double.

I saw the Bumbleride flyer at the mall today and it looked really nice. I like the fact that it's not too wide, lightweight and has a reversible handle. After looking at reviews online I've noticed that a few people said that it doesn't push well. I'd love to hear feedback from anyone on this board who has one. Thanks!

jacksmoma
12-03-2010, 10:00 PM
i've heard it doesn't push too great either BUT if it'll just be for mainly indoors you'll be fine i'm sure :) great stroller for a newborn/baby!!!

Multimama
12-03-2010, 10:39 PM
There is quite a lot of disagreement about the Bumbleride Flyer push. There is general agreement that the push was awful before the 2009 models and that you should only buy a 2009 or 2010 model. But after that, it gets a bit unclear. Some people still think the push isn't good enough, especially for the price tag, but plenty of people seem to like it now.

If the way a stroller pushes is the most important thing to you in a stroller, don't get the Flyer. But if you just want a nice push with a lot of bonus features and gorgeous fabrics then you'll probably be happy going with Bumbleride.

I have never owned one, but I really want one so I've done a lot (too much? :)) research!

salsah
12-04-2010, 12:49 AM
There is general agreement that the push was awful before the 2009 models and that you should only buy a 2009 or 2010 model.

that is my understanding. the pre-2009 models had fixed rear wheels so when you reverse the handle bar, you have to steer with fixed front wheels (can be challenging). i believe that they fixed it and made it like the venezia. all the wheels swivel and can be locked fixed. so when you reverse the handle bar, you lock the wheels closest to you and unlock the ones further from you.

i'm curious to know if the steering is still bad on the flyer or if the negative reviews of the 2009/2010 models are by people who don't understand how to work the wheels with the reversible handle bar. i've seen people with the venezia who don't realize that you have to lock/unlock the wheels whenever you switch the handlebar.

nmstrong
12-04-2010, 01:07 AM
i had the flyer in the summer and really like it! here is what I wrote about it then:

So we just picked up a new member of our stroller family, the bumbleride flyer in seagrass. It is a 2010 with the snack pack and footmuff and in seriously like condition! Since I had tried the flite and that was such a bust I kept wanting to try out the flyer. When I saw this one posted in my FAV color scheme I had to pick it up! I was looking for something a little more comfortable for my 1 year old to nap in when we are out and about. I love the bee + but it isn't really as comfortable to him to nap in as the original bee was. He is really small and liked to cuddle up with those wings. Anyway, I love how the seat on the flyer reclines and the sides are up making like a little bed. And the reversible handlebar is super easy too! I just love the snack pack and the easy recline. It is so cozy for nappers. At costco yesterday my guy spilled chocolate milk (one of the lovely samples) and it went straight on the light green seat. Well it is like semi water proof or something I got a wipe and immediately soaked it up and it didn't even stain! As far as the push-of course the bee wins but it really is not bad!! I love the way it looks and am going to keep it in my car for outings to mix things up for awhile. Bee + is going to be a little jealous theres a new girl in town taking her spot in the car :)

roseyloxs
12-04-2010, 07:43 PM
that is my understanding. the pre-2009 models had fixed rear wheels so when you reverse the handle bar, you have to steer with fixed front wheels (can be challenging). i believe that they fixed it and made it like the venezia. all the wheels swivel and can be locked fixed. so when you reverse the handle bar, you lock the wheels closest to you and unlock the ones further from you.

Not true. I had a used 2007 flyer and the front and rear wheels could be locked/unlocked to be straight depending on the orientation. However the push really was not great. It was doable and not unsafe by any means but was annoying enough that I sold it after only owning it a few months.

To the original OP. There were a lot of things I liked on the bumbleride. I love the fabric. Its durable and very easy to clean. I love the one handed bar recline. The adjustable footrest, canopy, good basket, and adjustable handlebar were all nice. Reversing the handle was very easy as was folding. I loved the extras that were included: bumper bar, footmuff, car seat adapter.

Things I didn't love were the push. I actually found if I pushed up on the handle the push got a lot better so I am pretty sure the weight of the stroller was just designed poorly which is what I am hoping they fixed for the '09 and '10 models. Although the fold was smaller then my old baby trend travel system it still felt a bit bulky to me for a mid-weight stroller (don't get me wrong its a slim fold but a bit longer and wider then I would have liked).

Also Bumbleride has some awesome CS. As I said I bought a USED flyer. The wheels would rub on the basket in rear facing mode so I called to ask for a new basket since I heard this issue was fixed on the '08. I was honest and said the stroller was used but they said they were happy to send me a new basket for free. Awesome!

Even if they fixed the push of this stroller I think I would try and buy a used Bugaboo Bee on CL before buying a new flyer but that's not an option for everyone.