PDA

View Full Version : I had three kids all day today. . .

trales
12-03-2010, 10:05 PM
And I bow down to those of you who do this everyday.

In a series of weird emergencies with friends (everyone is totally fine right now) I ended up with my daughter, a slightly wild friend of hers and a sweet 18 month old for 7 hours.

I am wiped out. I could not do this day in and out. It was really hard and really tiring. Wow.

Some of you are amazing women.

g-mama
12-03-2010, 10:32 PM
It has so much to do with what you're used to though, really. I do appreciate the props, cuz right now I need 'em. My dh has been working 80-100 hours a week for the past three weeks, and it's killing me.

But going from 1 to 3 overnight is a huge step out of your comfort zone. Good thing it's the weekend, right? :) You sound like a good friend.

m448
12-03-2010, 10:33 PM
LOL. Well usually you don't get a pair the same age (unless you have twins) so you had a bit of an extra challenge. That and I find that our days can be calm but a friend thrown in the mix and it all goes to pot as far as wildness.

But, yeah the days are exciting around here. I've begun to name the gray hairs emerging at my temples after each child.

daisymommy
12-03-2010, 10:53 PM
It's easier when you add one at a time to your family, and you get used to it slowly. But yeah, it's "exciting" to put it mildly ;).

maestramommy
12-03-2010, 11:17 PM
It has so much to do with what you're used to though, really. I do appreciate the props, cuz right now I need 'em. My dh has been working 80-100 hours a week for the past three weeks, and it's killing me.

But going from 1 to 3 overnight is a huge step out of your comfort zone. Good thing it's the weekend, right? :) You sound like a good friend.

:yeahthat: I remember the first time I babysat for 3 kids at once. A 4yo, 2yo, and 6 mo. They were SO GOOD. All I did was play with them, feed them dinner, give them a bath and put them to bed. they never even acted up, just behaved as if this happened all the time. Afterwards I was totally wiped out. And my sister was helping me too! I asked my mom how she did this with 4 kids day in and day out.

But these days I am in a perpetual state of fatigue :p

WatchingThemGrow
12-04-2010, 01:29 AM
Hey, look! You kept them all alive! You now qualify for having 3 of your own!!! I swapped babysitting with a friend last night and tonight, and I only had two of her three. Funny how totally calm that seemed in comparison to 10 minutes at our house.

trales
12-04-2010, 01:52 PM
They may have all left alive, but after they left I realized I forgot to feed them lunch. :thumbsup: I did have nibbles out here and there.

Work is so much easier than 3 kids. I have so much more total appreciation for the folks who look after my daughter for me. They are getting much bigger Christmas gifts this year than I planned.

kboyle
12-04-2010, 03:20 PM
They may have all left alive, but after they left I realized I forgot to feed them lunch.

lol, sometimes i have days like that. when they are your own, it's tough, but you get used to it...i give you credit for taking the 2 xtra kids! DH's cousin takes on my 3 alot for me and i give her TONS of credit, she's got her 2 7yo b/g twins, then my 7yo, 5yo & 3yo...and she does this often and WILLINGLY. I also do it for her, but she's WAY more patient than me, I'll take the twins and have them here at home, she'll take the kids to the store, lunch, Target...5 kids is too many for me, esp when there are 3 7yr olds!!! BUT, she also did watch ds1 while i went to school when he was 5-18mos...3 TODDLERS at the same age is INSANE!!

gatorsmom
12-04-2010, 03:39 PM
It's so different with your own kids, though. Your own kids dont feel the need to pull out all the toys because they are new and exciting. Your own kids are more at ease because they are in familiar surroundings and have a familiar routine. So, there is usually a lot less drama. And there is a lot less guesswork, mental and physical stress because you are familiar with your own children's cues for needs and know what to expect from them at particular times of the day.