PDA

View Full Version : What Age for 'Kids Only' Party- WWYD?

eno0609
12-04-2010, 12:47 AM
DD is 4 yrs old and has just been invited to her first 'Kids Only' party by a kid in her JK class. I remember going to my first kids only party when I was about 6 years old, so 4 seems a bit young to me. What age did your DC go to their first kids only party? Do you think that 4 is too young or does it depend your individual child and home where the party is being held?

Also, DD says that she wants to go but I don't think that she really gets it that we would be dropping her off and leaving for 4 hours...she was shy at first even at my friend's 4 year old's party (with parents allowed) and she considers my friend's DD her best friend. She never really talks about this particular classmate so I can only imagine the scene when we have to leave her.

We probably won't let her go for a few reasons, DH is especially against it because we haven't met the classmates parents, don't know if it's a non-smoking home, didn't budget for this one week before Christmas, etc.

niccig
12-04-2010, 12:50 AM
I think 4 is young. DS is going to 6 yo parties and parents are still there. A friend's child is turning 8 in a couple of weeks and they're having the first drop off party.

I like going to parties so I can get to know other parents better.

KrisM
12-04-2010, 12:52 AM
I think that's young for that type of party. DD's 4 year party was a drop-off, if the parents wanted. But, of 4 families, 2 we know very well. One of the others did drop off and the 4th stayed.

SnuggleBuggles
12-04-2010, 01:12 AM
Just go. Call or email the hosts and say that your dd isn't ready for a drop off party and is it ok if you stay. Unless space is horribly tight I bet it'd be ok.

5yo was when that started here but even at 8-9yo parents still stay sometimes. It's no biggie (at least not that I have run into).

Beth

Green_Tea
12-04-2010, 01:22 AM
Just go. Call or email the hosts and say that your dd isn't ready for a drop off party and is it ok if you stay. Unless space is horribly tight I bet it'd be ok.

5yo was when that started here but even at 8-9yo parents still stay sometimes. It's no biggie (at least not that I have run into).

Beth

Yes to this.

My son (also 4) has been invited to a few drop-off parties, mostly at places like My Gym or an inflatables place. If I know the parents well (and I usually do - his circle of close friends is pretty small) I feel comfortable leaving him, but it's no biggie to stay. But 4 hours is a LONG party! Parties around here run 90 minutes to 2 hours.

JustMe
12-04-2010, 01:28 AM
It seems young to me, but I can understand that its fine for some parents and kids. Since you don't know the parents on top of that, I would not send my child.

squimp
12-04-2010, 01:36 AM
Around here a 4-year-old party is not presumed to be a drop off party. Lots of parents would stay, a few would leave. I would ask them if it's OK to stay at the party (in that tone that conveys that you will be staying at the party) and if they don't want you to I'd honestly see that as a red flag.

hellokitty
12-04-2010, 04:11 PM
Wow, four is REALLY young for a drop off party. DS1 is going to be 7 after the holidays and I think we are going to put on the invitation it is a drop off party. It's probably the earliest age for me that I would be comfortable with a drop off party, BUT if any of the parents ask if it is ok to hang out, I would be fine with it.

eno0609
12-05-2010, 11:10 PM
Thanks for the feedback...:) I agree that 4 is too young especially for DD and never thought to ask if I could attend and I might consider it if it wasn't 4 hours long! (Green Tea- totally agree, 2 hours is usually the norm, 3 hours tops...

SnuggleBuggles
12-05-2010, 11:13 PM
What kind of party is this? The parents are nuts, imo, for hosting 4yos for 4 hours! Yikes!

Beth

wendmatt
12-05-2010, 11:22 PM
DD just turned 8 and all the parents stayed for her party. 4 is young and 4 hours is too long for that age imo. I'm sure they'd be Ok if you stayed, if not they are wierd and you prob don't want dd to go there anyways!

g-mama
12-05-2010, 11:25 PM
My youngest ds went to many 4yo drop-off parties. It was always presented as an option, but most moms dropped off.

Just yesterday, we had his 5th birthday party and it was a drop-off at our home. Two kids' parents stayed, which was totally fine with me, but the other 17(!) dropped off.

Here, 5 is almost definitely a drop-off party.

sadie427
12-05-2010, 11:25 PM
Four is too young. DS1 went to one of those at 3 or 4, I asked to stay and the mom actually said no, stupidly I decided it was ok for him to go (let DH talk me into it) and when I got there to pick him up they had realized (duh) that three hours was too long, got their neighbor's little tykes bouncy house and there was an inadequately supervised bouncy house (basically my nightmare, hate those things in general) with kids falling all over each other. He isn't particularly shy so he was having a good time, but I didn't think it was safe. Sorry. I think it's ok to call and ask to stay but if you don't really want to stay yourself or they say no, I'd skip it (also keep in mind if you stay you might feel obligated to help a lot and if there aren't enough adult helpers it might be stressful for you)!

eno0609
12-05-2010, 11:31 PM
What kind of party is this? The parents are nuts, imo, for hosting 4yos for 4 hours! Yikes!

Beth

I know! I would never attempt this in my own home especially without other parents...we went to a 4th birthday last weekend with parents (and a few toddler siblings) in attendance and it was crazy:dizzy:

MommyAllison
12-06-2010, 02:17 AM
For DD's 4th birthday party, I was babysitting one of the guests anyway, and so offered to the other parents that they could drop off if they wanted. There were only 5 guests, but they all dropped off - I was surprised! Granted, I had babysat each of them before, and knew all of the girls quite well, and the party was only 2.5 hours... I don't think we're ready for DD to attend drop off parties though.

Melaine
12-06-2010, 07:13 AM

Beth

:yeahthat: