PDA

View Full Version : Quiet toys for preschoolers?

Melaine
12-04-2010, 10:36 AM
The church we are going now doesn't have a nursery and the kids just stay through the service. With my kids being as shy as they are, that's actually a good thing for us. I like that everyone is really comfortable bringing kids into the meeting and I don't feel like our kids are disturbing anyone. So far a pencil and notepad has occupied them, but I am wondering if anyone else has any clever ideas for quiet play/reading. Would an eye spy bag get a lot of use, or is that kind of a short-lived game? What about a travel aquadoodle? We've never had an aquadoodle of any kind. My other thought was tiny fairy dolls from Etsy. Littlest pet shop toys? Love your ideas and what works for you.

ETA: There was a blog with some great ideas a while back but I can't think how to find it. It was made by a group of moms and had all kinds of things. It was faith-based, IIRC. Anyone know what I am talking about?

fivi2
12-04-2010, 11:31 AM
I haven't bought one yet, but my girls are always intrigued by a friend's etch a sketch. Magnadoodles, maze books, dot to dot, I spy books... That's all I can think of!

Melaine
12-04-2010, 11:35 AM
Ohhh I totally forgot about dot to dot....thanks!

WatchingThemGrow
12-04-2010, 12:16 PM
crayola color wonder are B1G1 (or is it BOGO) at TRU this morning with the deal of the day coupon (through 1pm) AND there is a Glow Explosion kit(free) with a $20 purchase as well -in store promotion. You could stock up on the CW coloring books, although it would be way cooler if there were ones with bible stories, right?

I got a TON for our DC and a niece this morning. RUN to TRU

Melaine
12-04-2010, 12:21 PM
crayola color wonder are B1G1 (or is it BOGO) at TRU this morning with the deal of the day coupon (through 1pm) AND there is a Glow Explosion kit(free) with a $20 purchase as well -in store promotion. You could stock up on the CW coloring books, although it would be way cooler if there were ones with bible stories, right?

I got a TON for our DC and a niece this morning. RUN to TRU

Oh thanks! Where do I get that coupon?
eta: Found it, thanks a bunch!

ray7694
12-04-2010, 01:07 PM
You are lucky your kids are good. What we do:

Scissors with construction paper to cut out things
Really Cool DK type books for ONLY church time
Colored Pencils
Etch a sketch
Eat Goldfish:)

swrc00
12-04-2010, 01:24 PM
I love the Sticker Story books that Barnes and Nobles sells. They have a Noah's Ark and First Christmas version. We have the Cars and Trucks one and it has held up really well and keeps DS entertained. The pages are scenes and the stickers are reuseable.

http://www.amazon.com/Noahs-Sticker-Stories-Julie-Lacome/dp/044841256X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1291483358&sr=8-1

momof2girls
12-04-2010, 01:41 PM
In preschool my kids liked playing with feltboard story sets. I believe there are a bunch on etsy including religious ones.

artvandalay
12-04-2010, 01:50 PM
Wikki Sticks/Bendaroos, books with magnet shapes, characters, magnadoodle