PDA

View Full Version : Yet another angel tree Q

Twoboos
12-04-2010, 11:42 AM
We just picked our Angel Tree people. The organization has asked for gift cards to any store in any amount to buy warm clothes (so people can pick and in case sizes are odd).

So the question is: Kohl's or WalMart?

Kohl's I can get with my AmEx points so we don't spend any "money" and I kind of feel like it's higher quality? But if you don't shop the Kohl's sales it seems like less stuff for more.

WalMart there are more options and prices are lower, and they could get food/other essentials as well. I would get this as part of our donation money (save change all year and cash it in to spend on this type of thing).

khm
12-04-2010, 12:03 PM
I would do Walmart for the tree. There are just more options there. I am no Walmart fan and go to Target 99 times out of 100, but I've been impressed with the recent crop of winter gear last time I was in there, honestly.

I think toys are generally inflated in price at Kohls. Sales on brand name toys often mean the prices are just jacked up then faux discounted if you compare to Target/Walmart, I have noticed this over and over. Their Fisher Price "50% off sales" literally amount to regular prices across the street. I complained to customer service and they told me the price they use to calculate the 50% off might have not ever been used. So, it's not really 50% off then is it if you just pick a random starting price? You'd think FP wouldn't allow that....

Save the points and buy a Kohls for yourself, I guess! :)

wendmatt
12-04-2010, 01:48 PM
People that need an angel tree are better off at Walmart. They are more likely to get more for their money at Walmart and they have decent quality stuff there.

sidmand
12-04-2010, 02:45 PM
I vote Walmart. I really really dislike Kohl's and will pretty much shop anywhere else to avoid there. I don't shop at Walmart much but their prices are some of the best and I don't think the quality is that bad.

TwinFoxes
12-04-2010, 02:50 PM
Is there one that's more easily accessible? I'd probably choose that one. Here, there aren't a lot of Kohls or Walmarts, so I'd probably choose Target.

Sears might be another option to consider.

Twoboos
12-04-2010, 03:09 PM
Thanks guys! We went with WM. Even though I am not a fan, I know there is more to get for the $ there.

I had $275 from the change I cashed in. I got 3 gift cards (2 for $50 and 1 for $25, the $25 person didn't ask for one) and all the rest of the stuff on the list for $245!! I only need to get a $25 grocery card. That will be almost exactly the cashed-in money. How weird is that?

And in the no-good-deed-goes-unpunished category, I asked the (new) cashier for 3 gift receipts. And should I do 3 transactions or she can do 3 gr from 1 transaction. Suuuuure no problem with 1 transaction. Turns out it is a problem, I ended up with 3 gr for 3 items. Had to go to CS and return and rebuy each item. With a GR for each ONE.

Whatever. I know it's small beans but it reinforces my dislike for WM.

Luckily DDs were wonderful, even during the extra 20min wait. :thumbsup: