PDA

View Full Version : What to do, what to do?

JoyNChrist
12-04-2010, 04:23 PM
DH and I agreed not to buy each other gifts this year. Neither of us really wants/needs anything, and we've spent a lot of money this year with the new house and the babies and all.

Well now I get the feeling he's scheming on something with my mom. She was over at the house the other day and I caught them whispering together, and when they noticed me they hushed really quick. And then today I was telling my mom that I was finished with my holiday shopping, and that it was easier this year since DH and I weren't buying for each other. She kinda gave me a Look and said, "Uh huh."

So now I don't know what I should do. I could be wrong and he might not get me anything (which is what I'd prefer, since that's what we agreed on). But if he's planning a surprise, I'd hate to not have something for him. Do I buy something (and I have no idea what to buy if I do) and just hold it back and wait? Or do I just not worry about it, since we did agree on no gifts?

Grr...the whole point of not doing gifts for each other was to make things easier on us this year. And now I'm stressing about it mire than ever.

TwinFoxes
12-04-2010, 04:31 PM
Um, one of you gave birth to twins, the other didn't. Hmmm, who should not worry about buying a gift and should enjoy being showered with gratitude. Hmmm. I'm going with YOU.

Seriously, blush prettily and accept his gift gratefully if it materializes. ;)

crl
12-04-2010, 05:30 PM
Um, one of you gave birth to twins, the other didn't. Hmmm, who should not worry about buying a gift and should enjoy being showered with gratitude. Hmmm. I'm going with YOU.

Good answer. If you feel like you really want to have something for him just in case, what about some "coupons" for things like a foot rub or a batch of his favorite cookies.

Catherine

amldaley
12-05-2010, 08:28 AM

:yeahthat:

If he choses to get you a gift anyway, he has to be prepared to not receive one. And in some way, he will get that feeling of pride at having surprised you - he is getting something out of it, too..."the pleasure of giving".

Let it go and don't stress. You can show him how "grateful" you are later....

wellyes
12-05-2010, 09:02 AM
Aw, don't stress over this, I'm sure that's the opposite of his intent. You have a wonderful husband and mom and you deserve presents.

Now just prepare yourself to NOT be disappointed if you're reading it wrong!

cvanbrunt
12-05-2010, 09:35 AM
Your DH doesn't want or need anything. I get that you don't either. I bet, like the PP are saying, your fantastic hubby is doing something great for his wife. Let him. And enjoy the fact that your husband adores you. That's the real gift.

chozen
12-05-2010, 06:55 PM
maybe a small gift from the kids.

Jen841
12-05-2010, 10:32 PM
DH occassionally asks for a picture of ME with the kids. With a coupon and self discipline you could get a picture of you with the kids to put on his dresser and/or desk. I do Picture People b/c they don't charge a sitting fee or for extras. I exercise control and spend @$20-40 and get my prints right away then put them in a frame we already own.

inmypjs
12-05-2010, 11:25 PM
Personally I think it's fine that you don't get him anything, since you agreed upon it. But if you really don't feel okay with that, you could get him something - and if your instinct ends up being wrong, you could always whip it out for Valentine's Day!