PDA

View Full Version : OMG Sandra Lee

infomama
12-04-2010, 10:31 PM
What.the.hell.
http://www.youtu (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sj89Ax60DEI)be.com/watch?v=sj89Ax60DEI (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sj89Ax60DEI)

Kymberley
12-04-2010, 10:33 PM
:hysterical: I saw this on Cake Wrecks and DIED!

Have you seen her Kwanza cake?

mommylamb
12-04-2010, 10:37 PM
Ewww... those marshmellows in the center!!! :barf:

jenfromnj
12-04-2010, 11:17 PM
:hysterical: I saw this on Cake Wrecks and DIED!

Have you seen her Kwanza cake?

SO funny!

Sandra Lee has always freaked me out a little--the crazy eyes, the outfits complete with super lowcut shirts (though Giada is a worse offender in that category), her bizarre tablescapes that seem to take more time, effort and money than what she cooks, her compulsion to include a cocktail with every meal...

khm
12-04-2010, 11:38 PM
Is she a real person with a real show? This was my introduction to her and I thought it was just a joke!!!

It's a similar theme, but for Kwanzaa....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=we2iWTJqo98

ETA-

Ah, I see she has a pic of both these plus another crazy cake at the beginning OP's video. Clearly, this woman is insane!! :)

shawnandangel
12-04-2010, 11:43 PM
W.o.w.

I wish I had her amazing angel food cake skills. Does anyone know where I can find giant red and green candles and acorns? I already bought a can of pie filling from Kroger. Can't wait for my family to try this "very airy" cake!!

khm
12-04-2010, 11:48 PM
No doubt! Why does this woman have a show and so many more..... qualified peeps do not??? Fame is a weird thing, clearly.

LarsMal
12-04-2010, 11:52 PM
I really don't understand how someone who takes a store-bought angel food cake, a tub of store-bought icing, and food coloring gets her own show!!!!!!

katydid1971
12-04-2010, 11:52 PM
I remember seeing several years ago when it first aired and thinking those cakes looked totally gross. She's had a strange life, truely a self made woman. I'm impressed how she has gone from proverty to where she is today.

trales
12-04-2010, 11:54 PM
We were laughing so hard. The non kosher marshmellows, the non star of david homemade kindergarden craft on the top. WTH. She is on T.V. in California is there not a Jew on her crew.

I mean really the poor girl seemed to have a hard time coming up with states that were warm in winter. Either her whole crew is helpless or they have a sick sense of humor and are really enjoying her making a fool of herself. Makes you wonder what her crew thinks about her.

LarsMal
12-04-2010, 11:59 PM
Wthe non star of david homemade kindergarden craft on the top.

L came home from PRESCHOOL this week with a better looking Star of David that he made...at his Christian school! ;)

jent
12-05-2010, 12:08 AM
Is she a real person with a real show? This was my introduction to her and I thought it was just a joke!!!

Ditto. I was thinking "wow, this is a pretty elaborate set for a comedy sketch... plus, her patter is pretty boring." People are actually watching shows like this for cooking tips? Seriously?

cheri
12-05-2010, 12:23 AM
Wow. Just....wow.

tmahanes
12-05-2010, 12:47 AM
I really don't understand how someone who takes a store-bought angel food cake, a tub of store-bought icing, and food coloring gets her own show!!!!!!

Not that I am defending her.... :) because I will stop on her show to get a laugh and see how crazy she is today but her show is based on mixing store bought and homemade.... its supposed to be quick and easy. Her shows are always good for a laugh at her outrageousness!!! My sis reads a blog..... food netweork humor (maybe) and they are always making fun of her.

Please excuse my typos I am typing on my phone!

Kymberley
12-05-2010, 12:58 AM
It is Food Network Humor. Hilarious!

octmom
12-05-2010, 01:07 AM
She is about to become the "first girlfriend" of the state of New York. I read something in the NYTimes a few weeks ago about her and Governor-elect Andrew Cuomo. Maybe she will have something really special made for his Inauguration. :wink2:

tmahanes
12-05-2010, 01:09 AM
She is about to become the "first girlfriend" of the state of New York. I read something in the NYTimes a few weeks ago about her and Governor-elect Andrew Cuomo. Maybe she will have something really special made for his Inauguration. :wink2:

:hysterical: I bet it will involve a cocktail!!! :)

bubbaray
12-05-2010, 01:26 AM
Have you guys read the Youtube comments? My fave is "all that cake needs is some bacon bits sprinkled on it". :hysterical:

Her food always makes me gag a little. Then I want to try it. LOL.

zag95
12-05-2010, 01:41 AM
You guys are cracking me up...... :hysterical:

It was a truly awful cake- can you imagine people fighting over the marshmellows in the center?

hobie
12-05-2010, 01:44 AM
The comments are the best!

liamsmom
12-05-2010, 01:55 AM
Thank you, OP, for this! I thought her Kwanzaa cake was something, but now that I have a "recipe" for a blue, non-Kosher Hanukkah cake, complete with inedible beads, looks like I know what I'll be making tomorrow!

boolady
12-05-2010, 10:17 AM
SO funny!

Sandra Lee has always freaked me out a little--the crazy eyes, the outfits complete with super lowcut shirts (though Giada is a worse offender in that category), her bizarre tablescapes that seem to take more time, effort and money than what she cooks, her compulsion to include a cocktail with every meal...

I remember seeing several years ago when it first aired and thinking those cakes looked totally gross. She's had a strange life, truely a self made woman. I'm impressed how she has gone from proverty to where she is today.

I do give her credit for getting where she is today, because it is true that as a child, she lived in complete poverty in a not-so-great family situation. She is definitely self-made, other than potentially sleeping with Gordon Elliott, who discovered her and was her first producer, though I think that was after her show was already a commercial success.

What I find does not jive with her story, however, of reasonably-priced, quick family meals are her tablescapes and the redecoration of her studio kitchen to the tune of probably $1,000 (including matching curtains, appliances, towels, plates, etc.) in every one of her episodes. And no, it's not for effect, she tells you how easy it is to do. How does this help a time-pressed family without extra money to get a decent meal on the table? And yes, I know she does a lot of this in the context of "entertaining," but the intro to her show always used to say, at least, that it was an inexpensive way of eating.

Not that I am defending her.... :) because I will stop on her show to get a laugh and see how crazy she is today but her show is based on mixing store bought and homemade.... its supposed to be quick and easy. Her shows are always good for a laugh at her outrageousness!!! My sis reads a blog..... food netweork humor (maybe) and they are always making fun of her.

I think the thing that bothers me the most is that many of her "semi-homemade" concoctions, which are full of completely artificial ingredients, are so incredibly unhealthy in terms of unnecessary preservatives and fillers when someone could cook from scratch much more cheaply.

BabyMine
12-05-2010, 10:41 AM
How many glasses of wine did it take for her to come up with that idea?

JTsMom
12-05-2010, 10:51 AM
The Hanukkah cake is funny, but nothing will ever top the Kwanzaa disaster! :hysterical:

JMS
12-05-2010, 11:01 AM
L came home from PRESCHOOL this week with a better looking Star of David that he made...at his Christian school! ;)

HA! I thought the same thing.. giving that Star of David Kindergarten status is WAY too much credit ! :)

Lolabee
12-05-2010, 11:46 AM
What I find does not jive with her story, however, of reasonably-priced, quick family meals are her tablescapes and the redecoration of her studio kitchen to the tune of probably $1,000 (including matching curtains, appliances, towels, plates, etc.) in every one of her episodes. And no, it's not for effect, she tells you how easy it is to do. How does this help a time-pressed family without extra money to get a decent meal on the table? And yes, I know she does a lot of this in the context of "entertaining," but the intro to her show always used to say, at least, that it was an inexpensive way of eating.

I think the thing that bothers me the most is that many of her "semi-homemade" concoctions, which are full of completely artificial ingredients, are so incredibly unhealthy in terms of unnecessary preservatives and fillers when someone could cook from scratch much more cheaply.

Not only are her "recipes" full of frozen/canned stuff, artificial ingredients, preservatives and other assorted crap, but a lot of the short cuts she proposes are not actually cheaper than the do it yourself option (like all of those dough type things in tubes.) And I don't necessarily mind subbing in the tubed stuff from time to time, just be honest that while it's quicker it isn't really cheaper.

My husband and I used to watch her show for laughs before we had kids, we even thought of making a drinking game out of it (take a drink everytime she says "quick and easy" or "tablescape"!) I've rarely seen anything that she's made that looks vaguely appetizing, what with all of the canned pie filling and aforementioned tubed dough. She also gives lots of just bad food advice too (like the one time I saw her short cut for bratwurst that involved throwing them in a pot with beer and raw onions for thirty minutes and then throwing them and the tipsy onions on buns. Yuck and gross, put those brats on the grill before serving!) She's clearly more interested in throwing stuff together quickly and hoping that the finished product looks like she wants instead of actual making yummy and nourishing food.

scrooks
12-05-2010, 01:53 PM
SO funny!

My thoughts exactly...she has ALWAYS weirded me out for the above reasons....

JMS
12-05-2010, 02:34 PM
I just watched more videos.. I have no idea why. I had never really heard of this woman!! With the Kwanzaa cake, is she saying acorns? Can you eat an acorn?

bigpassport
12-05-2010, 02:58 PM
This thread is really rubbing me the wrong way. Most of the posts are snobby, elitist and downright not nice. What ever happened to "if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all"? I understand having a little laugh at the funny cakes. But why rip Sandra Lee to shreds? Her show is about "semi-homemade"...making it easier for people who can't/don't cook to see that you can use pre-made, store-bought shortcuts to help you cook at home instead of getting take out every night. It's not called "Super-Healthy Cooking," so why rip into her about the healthfulness of her meals? Is "Dessert First" healthy cooking? I don't think so. Why don't you rip into that lady for not making healthy desserts? And its not called "Budget-Cooking," so why rip into her if some of the shortcuts may be more expensive than scratch? Is everyone who celebrates Hanukkah kosher? I certainly doubt it. It's also not called "Kosher Cooking." Yeah, the cakes are funny and the tablescapes are funny and the cocktails are funny, but its simply unfair to criticize her for something she's not and never claimed to be.

wencit
12-05-2010, 03:00 PM
I just watched more videos.. I have no idea why. I had never really heard of this woman!! With the Kwanzaa cake, is she saying acorns? Can you eat an acorn? She's saying acorns, but I think they are really Corn Nuts.

And yes, you can actually eat acorns. My mom used to gather them outside our home, grind them and turn them into something we call "Korean Jello." :)

Sillygirl
12-05-2010, 03:16 PM
This thread is really rubbing me the wrong way. Most of the posts are snobby, elitist and downright not nice. What ever happened to "if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all"? I understand having a little laugh at the funny cakes. But why rip Sandra Lee to shreds? Her show is about "semi-homemade"...making it easier for people who can't/don't cook to see that you can use pre-made, store-bought shortcuts to help you cook at home instead of getting take out every night. It's not called "Super-Healthy Cooking," so why rip into her about the healthfulness of her meals? Is "Dessert First" healthy cooking? I don't think so. Why don't you rip into that lady for not making healthy desserts? And its not called "Budget-Cooking," so why rip into her if some of the shortcuts may be more expensive than scratch? Is everyone who celebrates Hanukkah kosher? I certainly doubt it. It's also not called "Kosher Cooking." Yeah, the cakes are funny and the tablescapes are funny and the cocktails are funny, but its simply unfair to criticize her for something she's not and never claimed to be.

Have you seen this article in Newsweek, about how food has become a very clear class identifier? Very interesting: http://www.newsweek.com/2010/11/22/what-food-says-about-class-in-america.html

It is sort of heartbreaking when you consider Sandra Lee's personal story, of coming up from extreme poverty. She's become a big success, but is also easily the most mocked and reviled Food Network star. I think a lot of that is because the food she makes betrays her lower-class origins. That sort of disconnect has been a source of humor for generations. Witness the slights Kate Middleton took from Will's blue blood friends about her parents' background.

So, I agree with you that the mocking has an elitist undertone. I suppose the fact that I still find it quite funny means I'm a bit of a snob, or more gently, a product of my own class upbringing. Anyway, I thought you might find the article interesting, if you haven't seen it before.

jenfromnj
12-05-2010, 04:17 PM
This thread is really rubbing me the wrong way. Most of the posts are snobby, elitist and downright not nice. What ever happened to "if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all"?

Isn't your rule about not saying anything if you can't say something nice applicable to your comment calling us "snobby, elitist and downright not nice", after all?

I respectfully disagree with your assessment of the content of the majority of this thread as "snobby and elitist"--for my part, I don't think saying that I'm a bit freaked by the fact that she is trying to make things "easier" (whether by trying to save money, time, whatever) by doing things "semi-homemade", yet concocting elaborate tablescapes for each meal, or insisting on including a cocktail with every meal, is either snobby or elitist, or frankly, un-nice.

If you've seen her show, she DOES mention trying to save money and time and making healthy meals, so the comments to that effect are appropriate as well, IMO.

liamsmom
12-05-2010, 04:21 PM
I respectfully disagree that people are ripping on Sandra because of her background. I think the real issue is she made a hideous cake on her "cooking" show. I eat processed food all.the.time. And I incorporate pre-made shortcuts into my cooking too. Rachael Ray and Real Simple magazine often encourage people to use these types of methods. It's one thing to not make something from scratch, or to use processed food as a base for a new food altogether. Like using a packet of frozen squash to create a squash risotto or adding a few chocolate chips to the Pillsbury frozen rolls to make chocolate croissants.

But in this clip, Sandra took a perfectly good Angel Food cake and threw a lot of other stuff on top of it. The difference is this cake looks absurd and unappetizing.

bigpassport
12-05-2010, 04:36 PM
I went back and read through the posts and I will retract what I said about "most posts." Really, there are only a few that rub me the wrong way. I guess I let them shade the entire thread. However, I never accused anyone of being elitist. I said the posts were.

FWIW, I agree the Hannukah is bizarre and unappetizing. But I still like Sandra Lee.

bubbaray
12-05-2010, 05:36 PM
I respectfully disagree that people are ripping on Sandra because of her background. I think the real issue is she made a hideous cake on her "cooking" show. I eat processed food all.the.time. And I incorporate pre-made shortcuts into my cooking too. Rachael Ray and Real Simple magazine often encourage people to use these types of methods. It's one thing to not make something from scratch, or to use processed food as a base for a new food altogether. Like using a packet of frozen squash to create a squash risotto or adding a few chocolate chips to the Pillsbury frozen rolls to make chocolate croissants.

But in this clip, Sandra took a perfectly good Angel Food cake and threw a lot of other stuff on top of it. The difference is this cake looks absurd and unappetizing.

:yeahthat:

I didn't know (or care) about her background until this thread. I've only seen her show a few times, its NMS though like the PP, I will use pre-packaged foods as convenience items (bagged salad is an example -- I don't care if its 10x the cost of a head of lettuce, its faster and easier, ditto baby carrots).

But that cake was just W.R.O.N.G. Blech.

tmahanes
12-05-2010, 05:49 PM

I do not make fun of the food..... I eat a fair amount of cheap processed food. We cannot afford to eat organic all of the time and many times I don't have time to fix. So it is not elitist at all when I say I love to laugh at her show.

It is the comments she makes, the tablescapes, and coordinating kitchen. It is also how she has to have a drink with EVERYTHING!! And her comments about the drinks. Like in one episode she talks about how a drink was good even is you were driving but she still put vodka in it. Things like that are why she gets made fun of.

I think the fact that she has gotten where she is today is very impressive.

gatorsmom
12-05-2010, 06:23 PM
I think the real issue is she made a hideous cake on her "cooking" show. .

I know some people who wouldn't have considered her Hannakah cake hideous. My mother's family came from extreme poverty and I can think of 2 of her sisters who would have thought that cake was pretty. They would also have put the Star of David decoration on top thinking that was pretty not having any idea that it was symbolic of a religion (mom's family was mainly Protestant). They are also, however, the same people who think it's perfectly appropriate to bring a jello mold to a family potlluck. To each his own.

Clearly, Sandra Lee's ideas appeal to some of the population or she wouldn't have a show. And obviously the majority of us don't fit in that group or we wouldn't be making fun of them. But to the members who come here that she appeals to, I can see how they'd be offended by the comments here. I think sometimes we feel so comfortable here we imagine the other posters to be like us or someone we know when in fact, we do have some diversity here.

katydid1971
12-05-2010, 06:50 PM
Have you seen this article in Newsweek, about how food has become a very clear class identifier? Very interesting: http://www.newsweek.com/2010/11/22/what-food-says-about-class-in-america.html

Thanks, good but sad read.

buddyleebaby
12-05-2010, 06:53 PM
I am not a fan of Sandra Lee.

That being said...I don't see how the cake is any less appealing than cupcakes from a box with ready made frosting...which is what I see in bake sales all the time...and although they don't appeal to *me*, my kids love them. Honestly my kids would probably plead for the non-kosher corn syrup laden marshmallows in the center.

I would be baffled if someone served that at a dinner party...but I can see a mom who works long hours, has little money, and is trying to do something nice for her kids making something like that. And I can understand how hearing others label it as gross would hurt feelings.

I do think that if she is going to present something as related to a specific holiday, she should put in a little more effort, and that to me, is where poking fun at her is warranted.
She did not have to change her concept but she could have bought kosher marshmallows...or suggested others use Kosher Marshmallows. She could have made her wire and pearls into two triangles and come up with a much better looking star of David. The cake was sloppy and not well thought out.

liamsmom
12-05-2010, 07:50 PM
I know some people who wouldn't have considered her Hannakah cake hideous. My mother's family came from extreme poverty and I can think of 2 of her sisters who would have thought that cake was pretty. They would also have put the Star of David decoration on top thinking that was pretty not having any idea that it was symbolic of a religion (mom's family was mainly Protestant). They are also, however, the same people who think it's perfectly appropriate to bring a jello mold to a family potlluck. To each his own.

To each his own indeed. I'd prefer three jello molds to that cake. It did not look appetizing, even without knowing there were huge, whole marshmallows in the middle.

I am not a fan of Sandra Lee.

I do think that if she is going to present something as related to a specific holiday, she should put in a little more effort, and that to me, is where poking fun at her is warranted.
She did not have to change her concept but she could have bought kosher marshmallows...or suggested others use Kosher Marshmallows. She could have made her wire and pearls into two triangles and come up with a much better looking star of David. The cake was sloppy and not well thought out.

Exactly. I'm not familiar with her show, so I don't know if time is of the essence, but if she had taken a few extra minutes, it could look nice. She doesn't appear to have a lot of skill. And the Star of David is a religious symbol, so I think if you're going to put it on a dessert (which is another whole issue, at least IMO) then you ought to make it look ok. Like, don't make a hastily drawn "x" on top and call it an Easter cake.

shawnandangel
12-05-2010, 08:30 PM
All kidding aside, I was watching some of her videos to see if there were more funny cakes, and I came across this. I really liked this idea:

Fruit Wands:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVBFFkuvbSM&playnext=1&list=PLA8CC3C78F12F1EE2&index=36i

alexsmommy
12-05-2010, 08:34 PM
I think the cake is hideous. I also think I have the "privilege" of having a different perspective.

This board skews WAY high for education and income (relative to the areas people live). Sandra Lee is continually successful because she appeals to a lot of people in this country. She takes what they can afford on their limited budget and helps them come up with more creative and diverse ways to present it. Does she appeal to me? Nope. But I also admit to going to WF for seafood and a few other items.
Now I do think it is ABSURD that the Food Network producers didn't step in and educate her about Judiasm if she was going to venture into that territory. I also give her credit, she is clearly out of her comfort/knowledge zone, but attempting to be all inclusive and to me that counts more than how hideous her holiday cakes are in reality.
It'd will be a great day when no one in our country has to rely on processed food filled with chemicals and artifical ingredients. Until then, Sandra Lee does fit a very clear niche in the market.

Now, I will say whenever I catch her show I laugh about cocktail hour at the end.. and the "tablescapes" crack. me. up. But I also know that clearly there are people who think she is very creative and has wonderful ideas... and I think that is what makes our country great. Diversity.

Off to watch the Kwanza cake... I need a good chuckle tonight.