PDA

View Full Version : Medium warmth foot muff for tall kid

crl
12-05-2010, 11:40 AM
My original bundle me is getting a little worse for the wear (got serious use with ds so I'm not surprised really). DD is a tall kid and I remember ds got too tall for it long before he outgrew the stroller. I have a wrap blanket thingie from kiddapotomus that I used with him when that happened, but it wasn't ideal.

So I am pondering a new foot muff. Not sure I will really get one, but thought I would look around.

I have a MB swift in black and lime green and the indigo Cybex Onyx, which is black and pale blue. I have ocean stripes skip hop saddle bags that I use on both. So maybe grey or silver would be good as far as colors go? I live in SF so medium warmth and some water resistance would be good.

Thanks for any suggestions!
Catherine

purpelina
12-05-2010, 03:14 PM
brookspond!

they come in pretty colors, silver included, and are best for tall kids. I guess it's the biggest on the market. Plus you can unzip the foot area, and it fits even most leggy kids. Since you are in SF keeping feet enclosed must not be as crucial.

they are quite expensive, but there was a sale on cnn baby, and maybe nother places offer coupons right now?

Brookspond perennial is warm, but there is an incert that you can remove, which woudl make it medium weight.

Only concern: I have a swift, too, and I find the seat quite small if you put the footmuff in it. Of course I'm in a colder climate (MA) and my kids wear winter jackets AND I use a footmuff on top, so it can be part of the reason. But still something to consider.

I just got a sammy sack instead - it's not a muff, but a blanket that stays on top and attaches to stroller. I love it. It's not very thick, but is water / wind resistant. Cute colors, great design.

jacksmoma
12-05-2010, 05:08 PM
bundle me urban? it has a water proof cover which would be great in sf!

poohbear
12-05-2010, 06:57 PM
brookspond!

I just got a sammy sack instead - it's not a muff, but a blanket that stays on top and attaches to stroller. I love it. It's not very thick, but is water / wind resistant. Cute colors, great design.

Purpelina, can you tell me more about the Sammy Sack? I love the bundlemes, but I find them to be difficult when coats are on, etc. The harnesses just aren't long enough - I would imagine this is going to be a problem next year when DS is bigger...

crl
12-05-2010, 07:00 PM
bundle me urban? it has a water proof cover which would be great in sf!

Is the urban any longer than the original? Cause I'm worried that dd will outgrow the length of the original before we are done with the stroller.

Thanks for the ideas!

Catherine

arivecchi
12-05-2010, 07:07 PM
Catherine, my 42 inch tall DS fits in the Urban. See my Terrain pics.

purpelina
12-05-2010, 07:47 PM
Sammy sack - I'll post pics later, camera is charging!
it's a blanket with a foot pocket. It's not very thick, so might be not a super warm solution, yet it keeps wind/drizzle /cold out really well. can be rolled into a neat roll and stored in a sleeve that comes with it. Kind of like a fat umbrella :)

There are several colors and patterns to choose from, some patterns are on sale for 35 (versus regular 55 - 65), but they didn't strike a cord in my heart :love-retry:

There are two buckles on the sides, similar to a backpack and some strolelr harness buckles, you feed the strap around stroller frame, and clip the buckle.
I like that these are not velcros. Nothing gets stuck to them, and when washing you have nothing to worry about. (sometimes velcro can get stuck to another item, or damage the fleece). Also, I personally prefer buckles to velcros.

Blanket is oddly shaped - and rightfully so, extra bulk of fabric on the sides is taken out, and it fits better. I have yet to try it in very cold weather, and I don't know if it's THAT great for serious cold, but it's a great concept and works perfect for me. Dd is walking quite a lot, so she is dressed for the cold weather, yet when she's tired and goes into a stroller, I need a cover to keep her warm. SHe doesn't like restrictiveness of a footmuff, so this blanket suits her. She is not trying to fight it off. She can't kick it off, but she could lift her legs and let cold air in (on the sides). Yet she is old enough to understand that this keeps her warm and doesn't do it.

Overall, I think it's a great concept, yet works best for either an infant or an older toddler. with infant (they have a smaller size, and it also has 2 sets of buckles) it's great to clip to a stroller or a car seat. Since it goes OVER everything (and not between straps and seat), it's safe to use with the infant seat.

I like it so far very much.

Also, when the package arrived, I just came home, and it was very cold (heating not turned on yet). So I sat on the sofa and covered myself with this sammy sack. Pretty soon I could tell it IS keeping me warm!

The top coat is nice sturdy polyester, water resistant etc. I wouldn't rely on it in heavy rain, but it sure keeps out any drizzles and snow.

crl
12-05-2010, 10:52 PM
Thank you all!

Catherine

mrsjde
12-06-2010, 10:34 PM
I have had a Maclaren Footmuff that I have been using since 2008. It has held up so well. My DS is on the tall side and he still fits perfectly fine in it.