PDA

View Full Version : New Lego Sort & Store - Other Lego Storage Ideas

wimama
12-05-2010, 01:09 PM
Just wondering what all you seasoned Lego parents think of this?

Do you think it would really helpful sorting Legos? I am not sure it would be the best for storage. But maybe for sorting at least? I don't know. It is a brand new product.

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4309600#viewAllPromos

How do you store Legos?

By color?

By size?

DS doesn't have too many Legos yet. But, yet is the key word there. He is only 4 1/2 and I see many more Lego sets in our future. Legos and Playmobil are his two favorite things right now and I imagine both Legos and Playmobil will likely continue to be favorite toys for years to come with his collections of both growing. I need a game plan here.

cono0507
12-05-2010, 02:00 PM
There was a tread about lego storage a few months ago. I posted a pic of what we do in post #15:
http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=373210&page=2&highlight=cono0507
We sort by color and then have a drawer for "specials" like doors, windows, wheels, etc and then a separate container for people and people accessories (brooms, guns, hats, etc). We've had them organized this way for about 9 months now and it is working well. DS is able to put them away in the right bin when he is done and it makes it easier to find the pieces he is looking for.
Good luck! :)

katydid1971
12-05-2010, 03:07 PM
DS likes to keep his sets together in their original boxes so I just put them into zip lock bags in their boxes. We are still new on this lego journey and I don't know how much longer we will keep doing that. That Lego head is super cute!!! I think its lego's take on this http://www.box4blox.com/ I am thinking of getting one of these because the dimension will fit well into DS's book shelves.

o_mom
12-05-2010, 03:30 PM
We sort by size here, so the box4blox works well for us (this looks similar). They find it much easier to find a blue lego in a pile of right-sized ones than to find a certain size in the middle of a pile of blue legos.

We have the B4B and the IRIS lego storage tower along with a bunch of repurposed TJs cookie containers. We use the B4B to sort by size, then put 'standard' blocks in the TJs containers (I labeled them). We then use the IRIS boxes for the rest. One for wheels, one for 'long' pieces and then one of each color for the trays of the B4B.

smilequeen
12-05-2010, 08:14 PM
We use the box4blox too and it is awesome for us. This looks very similar. I like sorting by size. We keep all the instructions for specific things in a separate box. We need to get a second one now though as we're getting pretty full.

wimama
12-06-2010, 01:15 PM
You all are the best. :jammin:

I like the looks of the Box4Blox sorter. It looks perfect. I think it would be a lot faster clean up sorting the Legos by size rather than by color. I don't think my DS is the type who would enjoy sorting by color.

The Lego sorter is a few inches bigger in each direction, but it round and the Lego one says it holds over 1000 pieces. The Box4Blox one says it holds 1500-1800 Legos. I think both would fit into a cubbie on his Ikea Expedit shelves he has in his room. The biggest for me is that I don't think I would get tired of looking at the Box4Blox sorter. I can't say the same for the GIANT Lego Head one. I think it would get old pretty fast. DS has a bunch of primary colors in his bedroom decor so the Box4Blox one would look pretty good on the shelf.

My game plan now is to get the Box4Blox sorter for DS, probably for his birthday in the spring. Then we would keep the majority of the Legos in there and keep other special pieces in containers in one of the roll out bin for his train table. We already have one container for minifigures and one container for built pieces he doesn't want to take apart. One bin of his train table is dedicate to Playmobil and one to Legos. My goal is to confine his Playmobil and Legos to his bedroom, while the remainder of his toys are in a play area in the basement rec room area. I don't want the small little Lego & Playmobil bits to get mixed in with other toys and if I figure if I confine those to toys to his bedroom I only have to look for and pick up little bits of toys from one room.

carolinamama
12-06-2010, 04:52 PM
So my question is - when you have large lego sets like the Harry Potter Hogwarts castle or something - do you mix these sets in with all your other legos or keep them separate? I'm trying to make sure we don't lose pieces and can put things back together after they have been built and deconstructed. Thanks.

ett
12-06-2010, 06:40 PM
So my question is - when you have large lego sets like the Harry Potter Hogwarts castle or something - do you mix these sets in with all your other legos or keep them separate? I'm trying to make sure we don't lose pieces and can put things back together after they have been built and deconstructed. Thanks.

We keep the sets that build something specific separate from our other lego blocks. I store the pieces in ziploc bags and label it with the set name.

o_mom
12-06-2010, 06:48 PM
We used to keep them separated, but eventually gave up. I don't think we have anything quite as big as Hogwarts Castle, but a couple of 500-ish piece sets. They build so much combining piece from different sets that I decided not to restrict them.