PDA

View Full Version : What parts of the Sunday paper do you like best?

wellyes
12-05-2010, 03:20 PM
I find myself always going to Op/Ed first. But sometimes that means I end up reading letters to the editor and opinion pieces without actually ever reading the news section. Which is just dumb, since I'm seeing it through someone's filter without ever digesting it myself first, know what I mean?

I also like the magazine, books, local.
I read the comics but usually find them disappointing.
Skip sports, movies, travel and that dreadful Parade magazine.
Curious what others do.

Sillygirl
12-05-2010, 03:23 PM
I'm interested to hear how many people actually get the Sunday paper any more. I've been reading them online for almost a decade now.

LD92599
12-05-2010, 04:01 PM
Real estate
Better living
Local
Business
Travel
Ads!!!

caleymama
12-05-2010, 04:05 PM
I'm interested to hear how many people actually get the Sunday paper any more. I've been reading them online for almost a decade now.

I don't get any papers delivered anymore, but the last to go was the "weekender" NYT subscription which was Fri, Sat, and Sun. Now I just read it and the local paper online and at my parents' house. They save anything pertinent for me along with the coupons and any circulars I might want.

My favorite NYT sections are:
the Magazine
Sunday Styles
Real Estate

but I'll pretty much read any NYT section you put in front of me.

wellyes
12-05-2010, 04:48 PM

I read mon-sat online but I still like sitting down with coffee, pancakes and a big fat Sunday paper. Plus coupons pay for it when I bother to use coupons.

Kindra178
12-05-2010, 05:20 PM
Op-Ed. Then Front Section, Business and Real Estate. Pre-kids, loved drinking my coffee and reading the paper.

maiaann
12-05-2010, 05:57 PM
We just get the Sunday paper. I thumb through it and pull out the coupon inserts, then I read (in this order):
Target sale flyer (is that bad?!)
Business/Economy
front page or anything else that catches my eye
The rest goes in a basket for our fireplace.

Babymakes3
12-05-2010, 06:03 PM
I only get the sunday paper for the ads and coupons! I flip thru it quick to pull those things out and chuck the rest of the paper! I don't read the paper at all...i know thats bad.

nmosur
12-05-2010, 06:58 PM
Ads, comics, Living section, obits and then the rest of the paper. I love reading the newspaper.

lalasmama
12-05-2010, 07:12 PM
[QUOTE=wellyes;2947771]I find myself always going to Op/Ed first. But sometimes that means I end up reading letters to the editor and opinion pieces without actually ever reading the news section. Which is just dumb, since I'm seeing it through someone's filter without ever digesting it myself first, know what I mean?
[QUOTE]

I ignore the Op/Ed pieces :) Largely because I'm exposed to the biases whether or not I read the Op/Ed section first. Journalists are biased. Editors are biased. Readers are biased. I can't find much news without bias, personally! There could be a front page story on the smaller, city paper that has a headline of "Local Mom and Baby Rushed to Hospital After 7 Year Old Catches Baby Sister!" and I know, without a doubt, I'm going to hear tons of biases--that babies are meant to be born in hospitals, that mom didn't plan well, etc. The only difference (for me) between the Op/Ed and the front page story is that the Op/Ed would at least openly state what they think about an issue or such! (I'm using that completely fictious headline only because it easily serves to point out potential biases, and it goes against "mainstream" American culture. Personally, I'm pro-planned-homebirth.)

However, typically, I head for the Arts and Entertainment section, then comics, then coupons, then ads. And then the main section if SO hasn't taken it to his "reading room" ;) yet.

3blackcats
12-05-2010, 08:02 PM
I get Sunday Washington Post only
Huge :bag here - The coupons and inserts come Saturday morning, I open that to read. When the paper comes on Sunday, I don't even open it, I put it in the recycle bin. Sometimes DH reads it.

katydid1971
12-05-2010, 08:10 PM
We don't get the paper because we never get around to reading it. But when I do buy it my favorite sections are the funnies and the ads :bag. I really prefer the internet, less paper to recycle.

Twoboos
12-05-2010, 08:19 PM
We stopped getting it b/c no one was reading it. Although I aways went for the ads/coupons, comics and lifestyle sections first. Sometimes I would be able to at least browse through all the rest.

I miss the ads and coupons.

bluestarfish18
12-05-2010, 08:22 PM

We're a Sunday delivery only family. There's something about sitting down with a paper in my hands, that makes it a Sunday. Something.....traditional. Like digital photos. I need something tangible, that I can feel and touch and become involved with.

Anyhoo, I read FoxTrot in the Comics section, the ads, Parade, Northwest Living Magazine, the local and world news and sports.

LMPC
12-05-2010, 09:38 PM
We get the local sunday newspaper for the ads/coupons. But my mom gets the NYTimes and we swap....when I get the Times, I go straight for the magazine and the Ethicist -- I [heart] Randy Cohen!

mommylamb
12-05-2010, 10:32 PM
Op-ed and samurai sudoku.

DrSally
12-05-2010, 10:37 PM
I think it depends on the paper. When I was getting the NYT, I loved everything, esp. their "magazine". I read it online now, but it's not the same as getting the actual paper to me. Where I live now, I do read the whole thing, but get it mostly for the ads/coupons, and local news/events. There isn't too much original reporting it seems.

ETA: We got the WSJ for quite awhile. I read the whole thing, but only really enjoyed the lifestyle section, and was thoroughly annoyed by the editioral section. I seem to have this compulsion that if there's a newspaper, I *have* to read it, so, good thing we're not getting it on a daily basis anymore--they can stack up.

srhs
12-06-2010, 01:23 AM
Coupons.
And I will go buy several more some weeks just to pull out the inserts. I used to have a hookup at a coffee store that would give me the unsold papers at the end of the night, but they had to cut their order since they weren't selling them, boo!
Soooo, if you are not a couponer, take note that someone you know is probably dying for those things and pass em on! :) You wouldn't believe how much free product is to be had matching manufacturer coupons with store coupons with sales and Catalina deals. :)

alien_host
12-06-2010, 08:44 AM
We still gedt the paper delivered 7 days a week. DH claims he doesn't want to read it online b/c he is on a pc at work all day,

Sunday us my favorite. Ads and coupons are my favorite ;) Yesterday my paper was missing 1/2 th ads (no cvs or Target) AND the coupons...so disappointing. :(

I also like the Boston Globe Magazine
Living/Arts
Metro - is that what it is called?
I probably read the front page last, along w/ Business

wellyes
12-06-2010, 08:59 AM
I'm a Boston Globe too and got no coupons - I think maybe there just weren't any this week?

The only difference (for me) between the Op/Ed and the front page story is that the Op/Ed would at least openly state what they think about an issue or such!

The big difference is that op-ed columnists are far more entertaining :) But still, I think getting your news 2nd hand from Frank Rich and Gail Collins (or whats-his-name (the buy gold guy) if you're conservative) ... you may end up parroting back someone else's views unaware that you're missing nuances they didn't include.

Soooo, if you are not a couponer, take note that someone you know is probably dying for those things and pass em on! :) You wouldn't believe how much free product is to be had matching manufacturer coupons with store coupons with sales and Catalina deals. :)

Good point - my local library runs a coupon exchange. Really just a box anyone can access. Drop off any you don't want, take as many as you'd like. Several very nice people clip all the Sunday coupons & bring them in. If your library doesn't do this it's worth suggesting!

Gena
12-06-2010, 09:52 AM
Our local paper is terrible for actual news. We sometimes pick up the Sunday paper for coupons and the ads.

DrSally
12-06-2010, 05:05 PM
...my local library runs a coupon exchange. Really just a box anyone can access. Drop off any you don't want, take as many as you'd like. Several very nice people clip all the Sunday coupons & bring them in. If your library doesn't do this it's worth suggesting!

Great idea!!