PDA

View Full Version : Technical Ipod/Itunes/MP3 player question

kdeunc
12-05-2010, 08:09 PM
This may be a dumb question but I'll ask anyway! :)

DS1 wants an Ipod for Christmas. DH and I have ipods and use itunes. If we got DS another type of MP3 can we/how do we add songs to it from our itunes? We have a huge library of music the majority of which DH put in itunes from CDs.

Since he is only 8 I really don't want to drop the $150 to get him an ipod with a screen, etc when I can get another brand for MUCH less $$. Our other option is the shuffle.

Any thoughts?? The folks here seem to know everything! :) Thanks!

khm
12-05-2010, 08:22 PM
iTunes has an option to "create mp3 version".

However, iTunes won't transfer onto a non-iPod device. So, you'll have to load the mp3's on using the software that comes with the mp3 device.

ETA - if you want use iTunes to load the mp3, it is possible, but only if you chose a device that "shows up as a drive letter in Windows".
http://www.binaryfortress.com/iTunes-Sync/ I've not used it because none of our mp3 show up as a drive letter. But, FYI!

wellyes
12-05-2010, 08:27 PM
I'd get the shuffle. The only other brand that i'd consider is Zune.

iTunes won't work on non-iPods, but there is other (not as good IMO) software that will quickly import your files and play on a Zune or other. Anything bought through iTunes won't play anywhere else, though.

alexsmommy
12-05-2010, 08:36 PM
I'd get a refurb from Apple. That's what I did for DS1 and we've had no problems with it (or the three other refurb items I've gotten from them). I'm all about making things easier and for me having DS1's ipod sync to it's own list is the simplest route.

khm
12-05-2010, 08:48 PM
Ah, I forgot about the songs purchased through iTunes thing.

Technically, you can, but it involves burning a CD on top of the other extra steps. Probably more hassle than you think it's worth.
http://www.wikihow.com/Convert-Purchased-iTunes-Music-into-Unprotected-MP3s

Maybe try and find a used one (maybe someone you know is upgrading?) if you are really worried about how hard he'll be on it, or a refurb iPod.

My kids have plain mp3's when they were super young, but they are what I started with, so I'm familiar with them and didn't have to re-learn anything.

Penny's Pappa
12-05-2010, 09:01 PM
You can't use iTunes to transfer to a non-iPod device, but that doesn't matter. You just need to know where your music files are stored (usually My Documents>>My Music>>...) and either transfer them to your new device directly (as in copy/paste) or use some sort of software that comes with the device.

As for songs bought on the iTunes store, it is true that you can't play that file (an .m4a file) on anything but an iPod; however, the store now sells their songs without DRM protection, meaning you can use the "Convert to mp3" feature to convert the proprietary .m4a file to a more universal .mp3 file that can be played on any player.

Personally, I'd invest in an iPod. They're easy to use and they're the best at organizing your music files IMO.

Babymakes3
12-05-2010, 10:03 PM
I would just buy an Ipod shuffle, you will spend about the same price on that vs another brand and won't have to mess with converting music to mp3.