PDA

View Full Version : Train table- yay or nay?

Kaylee31
12-05-2010, 08:53 PM
I was thinking of getting DS a wood train table for Christmas, (he'll be 18 mo.). Space in our townhouse is limited, but it could fit in his bedroom but wouldn't leave room for other toys, and wouldn't fit in our living room . Whenever we go to places that have one (library, indoor playground) he always plays with it. Did your DC get a lot of use out of one? Do you think 18 mo. is too young to enjoy it?

wellyes
12-05-2010, 09:06 PM
Great gift next year. 2.5 is prime train age. 18 months .... There's a chance he'll like it, but just as likely he'll have no idea what to do with it, or interest. Plus I personally would want to wait a little before inundating him with character details (Thomas etc). Don't rush, he'll get there soon enough!

naam
12-05-2010, 09:57 PM
Train tables are a waste of money IMHO. Both my DSs loved playing with trains when they were younger. (Sadly at 8 and 5 they've outgrown that stage for the most part.) They rarely used the train table, though. They much preferred to play with the trains on the floor as there was a lot more space to build the tracks and be creative. The train table just became a catchall for toys and was always a mess. I ended up selling it on Craigslist in like new condition.

brittone2
12-05-2010, 10:02 PM
We've gotten a lot of use out of our Kidkraft (from costco a number of years ago...) table and I don't regret purchasing it. As kids get older and start building their own layouts they often like spreading out on the floor, etc. but we got a ton of use out of ours before that point. DS spent a huge percentage of his playtime with his playkitchen and train table when he was 2-3. DD used it, and I expect DS2 will use it eventually too. We use the trundles to store unit blocks sometimes, and they use the top for dollhouse play, etc. too.

I think it is a YMMV situation.

LMPC
12-05-2010, 10:10 PM
I agree this is a YMMV situation. I bought DD a train table this summer when she was about 20 months. I got a great deal on a nice kidcraft with trundles on CL. Still at 2 yo, she could care less about the trains, but she uses the table for her little people. It's a great height for her to play on....works well for storage....and doubles as a coffee table in our family room LOL!

KrisM
12-05-2010, 10:19 PM
DS1 got one for his 2nd birthday and it was great. He wasn't old enough to do his own layouts, and would knock them done crawling on the floor, so we'd build on the table and he'd play. For a while, it was used for other things because the trains were on the floor instead.

Now that table has trains on it again for DS2 and he loves it. He rarely knocks a layout down, so it stays for a week or two until we change it up for him.

We bought a 2nd table for DS1 and it's in his room with Lego and Quadrillas on it. It's much easier than building on the carpet.

But, if I was pressed for space, I might not get it, at least not now. Waiting another year would be good, or even until his birthday instead. See how much trains hold his interest first.

swrc00
12-05-2010, 10:43 PM
Before you buy the train table I would get a basic train set and see how much DS likes it. From there I would then consider a train table. Lots of kids like to play with trains/train table at other places but could careless about having one.
DS got his train table at 22 months and has played with it every single day. The table was given to us from a friend whose children no longer needed it. DS does like to put together puzzles and play with some of his Melissa and Doug toys on the table also. We have very limited space also. I am glad we have the table and would consider purchasing a larger one in the future when we have more space. HTH

edurnemk
12-05-2010, 10:44 PM
IME it's a great idea and a good age to get it. DS has been playing with his since before 2, he still plays with it everyday.

We have a lot of Thomas trains and this table (http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3931028) which is compatible, comes with a lot of accessories and is a lot cheaper than a Thomas table.

ETA: We did get a basic train set first, as PP suggests.

artvandalay
12-05-2010, 11:27 PM
Our train table was a HUGE hit. My boys played with it almost every single day. My eldest started playing with it around 2 1/2, if I remember correctly.

Now my boys have outgrown Thomas, but they use the table for their Legos. If your son plays with a train table whenever he gets an opportunity to play with one, I'd suggest you get one.

We got the train table from Toys R Us right before Christmas, it was their brand.. not a Thomas. However, I'd really recommend getting Thomas track, and not generic track. The generic Toys R Us track broke and splintered really easily, the Thomas ones are good as new and my boys were not easy on them!

KrisM
12-05-2010, 11:36 PM
However, I'd really recommend getting Thomas track, and not generic track. The generic Toys R Us track broke and splintered really easily, the Thomas ones are good as new and my boys were not easy on them!

Interesting. We own some Thomas, but mostly generic - Target, Toys R Us, Trains Galore, etc. We probably have 200 pieces of track and only 1 piece has broken ever over 5 years now. It's been used and abused, too!

katydid1971
12-05-2010, 11:38 PM
Since you said space is limited I wouldn't get it. I have seen too many train table sit and not get played with. And I don't know how many times I bought something that DC loved at the store to find they totally lose interest when it comes home.

kijip
12-05-2010, 11:55 PM
Have you considered one like this? This is the one we had in our apartment, later in our townhouse. Now it is in our garage and we may or may not bring it back out. It was a lot of fun in our smaller spaces.

http://littlekidstuff.com/Learning_curve_underbed_trundle_table.htm

mnosky1
12-06-2010, 12:03 AM
Trains table for trains or train table for other things?
My experience with 2 girls - I never got one for my older DD because I felt like there was something she had to NOT have at home (she always like the trains at daycare and other places though). And we lived in a townhouse. I bought a table at a consignment sale for $40 though when my girls were 6 and 1 and it has been played with every single day, - little people mostly but also playmobile, calico critters, mickey mouse, princesses, horses, etc. DD (almost 3) is into trains (and doesn't go to daycare) so she is getting a train set for Christmas and I don't know what we will do with all the other stuff that usually gets played with on the train table!

I think a train table with storage drawers would have been a good purchase even if bought full price, and even if we never bought a train set.

Kaylee31
12-06-2010, 01:30 AM
Thanks for all the responses. I think I'm going to get a used one on CL, so if DS isn't that interested in it, I won't mind so much. Someone is selling an Imaginarium table, I emailed her and she said she'd give it to me for $45. That's a pretty good deal, right?
http://williamsport.craigslist.org/tag/2063960304.html It does look huge though! I can't find that model, but it looks to be about 5' x 5'?

wellyes
12-06-2010, 08:45 AM
That's a monster of a train table -- with a small space and a young toddler I'd go more for something like this http://www.step2.com/product.cfm?product_id=1471 (http://www.step2.com/product.cfm?product_id=1471)It's low and smaller and has a built-in track.

edurnemk
12-06-2010, 09:34 AM
Thanks for all the responses. I think I'm going to get a used one on CL, so if DS isn't that interested in it, I won't mind so much. Someone is selling an Imaginarium table, I emailed her and she said she'd give it to me for $45. That's a pretty good deal, right?
http://williamsport.craigslist.org/tag/2063960304.html It does look huge though! I can't find that model, but it looks to be about 5' x 5'?

I just measured mine, it's: 33" x 49" It is one of the bigger ones.

wimama
12-06-2010, 02:29 PM
My parents bought DS a train table at almost 20 months old and Santa brought him his first Thomas set. DS loved the train table and trains even at that young of an age. There was a period DS was around 3 years old that he was not playing with it as much. But, we discovered he just prefers for it to be on a plush carpet so he can kneel and play with it. Once we moved it into his bedroom it has seen a ton of use again. We did just pack away his Thomas the Train sets into a rolling bin to play with on the floor in the rec room area downstairs in the basement. His train table is now dedicated to Playmobil and Legos. Our train table is a PBK activity table, that we had in our dining room for a while. So, I like that it looked more furniture like. And, I like that it was not just a Thomas the Train table. It easily fits into most decors as it has moved throughout the house. And, if we have another baby, we figure it could be used for a dollhouse or whatever else is needed. The train table was definately a big hit here!

One more thought, could you get a coffee table looking traintable for you living room/family room area? I have seen this one in Costco and I really like the Espresso color one. It looks pretty nice.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11539563&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&eCat=BC|48022|78462|90205&N=4045141&Mo=5&pos=5&No=0&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=90205&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&ec=BC-EC26686-Cat78462&topnav= (http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11539563&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&eCat=BC%7C48022%7C78462%7C90205&N=4045141&Mo=5&pos=5&No=0&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=90205&Ns=P_Price%7C1%7C%7CP_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&ec=BC-EC26686-Cat78462&topnav=)

arivecchi
12-06-2010, 03:47 PM
It was a waste of money for us and took up way too much space. We had the Imaginarium one from TRU. It was defective to boot and neither TRU nor the manufacturer would do anything about it. Pass.

The kids use our coffee table instead.

smilequeen
12-06-2010, 04:33 PM
We love ours and in fact have 2 of them. However, it's not a must and I'd be hesitant if space was an issue.

My older son LOVED trains and played with them on there forever, but now they have a castle and knights on there, or they play pirates, or they make legos, or build their marble run. It's had a long life so far (going on 5 years).

carolinamama
12-06-2010, 04:56 PM
We got our train table before DS1 was 2. He played with it a ton. Then we put the trains away for awhile and he still used the table for playing with other things - building with legos, magnatiles, wedgits, etc. The trains have been back out for 6-8 months for DS2. Both boys were playing around the table just this morning with trains. When they get tired of trains, we will put them away and use the table for legos, playmobil, or whatever they choose. It's gotten lots of use around here but it does probably depend on the child. We do have the Nilo table which is a bit taller than most.

daisymommy
12-06-2010, 05:33 PM
We bought the train table from Target for about $50 at Christmas time, when DS was 2. It was a huge hit, and continues to be used daily. I like that they can set up an elaborate train city, and it is up out of the way, and doesn't get knocked down. It's also the perfect height.

FWIW...we got the Target train set too for a good price, and just added the novelty pieces from the Thomas line, which fit with it. Saved a bundle of $$ that way!

I would wait until your DS is a bit older. Perhaps you may even have more room then. It doesn take up quite a bit of space, and toddlers need floor space to move around. Ours is in the playroom.

ahisma
12-06-2010, 09:46 PM
IMO it totally depends on the kid. DS1 got his when he was 22 months old. He liked it, I suppose, but never took to it. DS2 is 2 yo now and LOVES it. He spends hours at it. He's much more of a cars / trucks / trains kid than DS1 is. DS1 is much more interested in his kitchen and his "guys".

I'm glad that we have it for DS2 because he spends a ton of time with it. It was a bust with DS1 though. FWIW, our overall toy (and train set-up) situation is pretty much the same, just different kid personalities.

WolfpackMom
12-06-2010, 10:35 PM
A thought for one that will last...we are making a knock off of the Land of Nod table that adjusts. It has 3 sets of legs, one to keep it low to the ground like a train table, one at the height for small chairs, and one at desk height for when the child is older.

Kaylee31
12-07-2010, 04:40 PM
Thanks again for the feedback. I think I'm officially talked out of the big train table (until DS is older/we have more space).
Instead I was thinking of getting the Imaginarium Lego table for DS' bedroom: http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3687577#showReviews
and Kidcraft 2-in-1 table for the living room: http://www.amazon.com/Kidkraft-2-in-1-Activity-Table-Espresso/dp/B003BVK27Q/ref=cm_cr_pr_sims_t
Anyone have either of these?