PDA

View Full Version : Baby Jogger Summit XC vs. Tike Tech CityX3..with pic overload

Kaylee31
12-05-2010, 10:57 PM
I finally got to check out the Summit today, while DS was napping and DH was out (he doesn't know I bought another stroller! ;) ) You may think I'm nuts, because it's not vastly different from the TT. Except the Summit is suitable for running and has 16" wheels, which the TT does not. But I don't even jog, at least not yet. Anyway, I love it so far, and am about 99% sure I'm going to keep it.
Push-- both have great handling. I could literally steer them both w/one finger. (I put some water jugs & laundry detergent in the Summit for testing :) ) The Summit seems to glide a smidge better though.
Suspension - Both great. I can't tell much difference yet between the TT's rear shocks and the Summit's all-wheel suspension.
Material-- TT is like a soft canvas. Not waterproof, and stains more easily I imagine. Summit has the nylon-ish fabric, more water-resistant and easier to clean. Very similar to the BJCM's...but seems a little softer and smoother.
The two strollers have similar canopies and recline. I prefer the mesh peek-a-boo window of the TT over the Summit's plastic one. But I love that when fully reclined, the whole back of the Summit is mesh.
The TT has an adustable handlebar, which I love (since I'm short-- 5'2"). But I like the Summit handlebar too. It seems more parallel to the ground and not as high, when compared to the BJCM's handlebar.
The Summit seems so wide in the back! It has a handbrake, which is awesome. As for the parking brake, I prefer the TT's, which is a big, flip-flop friendly lever. The BJ's is smaller and harder to push down and up. It's still pretty easy to engage though, with hard shoes on.
The harnesses are similar in adjustment. I've never come across stroller straps that were not a PITA to adjust (maybe because I'm a spaz though :p). The Summit is much easier to adust the harness height though. There is several loops, and you just unclip the harness (looks almost like a paper clip, as you can see in my pic). But the crotch buckle is harder to undo than the TT's-- with the Summit you have to press 2 sides of the button to release one side at a time. And it's very stiff, since it's new. Probably meant to be childproof!
Basket-- The TT's is way more accessible from the back. The Summit's is almost impossible to get too, because there is 2 straps blocking access.
As for the fold, of course the BJ has the TT beat by a mile. Just pull the fold strap and that's it! With the TT, you un-latch the safety, recline the seat all the way, pull two trigger releases on the side, and collapse it.
The Summit is a little more compact of a fold too, even w/the larger wheels. It also has the adjustable belly bar, so you can fold that in too.
Price-- The TT costs $70 less than the Summit, and isn't an excluded brand.
I got both for 20% off through Diapers, so deals can be had.
Both awesome strollers, but I'm kind of feeling the Baby Jogger love lately.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/50172753@N03/sets/72157625538394442/

liamsmom
12-05-2010, 11:35 PM
Nice Pics! Hope you like the Summit. I really like the BJ fabrics. So shiny and easy to clean.

goldenpig
12-06-2010, 01:14 AM
Nice pictures! What are you going to do with the TT? The XC looks so much nicer than the TT...love the red and black. I would have gotten the red double if it were on sale, but I ended up with the blue (but a nice royal blue--and the light blue TT looks like it would show a lot of stains IMO). Love the easy compact fold. I convinced my SIL to get the same exact red XC, I hope she likes it too. Enjoy!

arivecchi
12-06-2010, 09:30 AM
Hmmmmmm, I like the TT. The fabric looks softer and the tires look beefier and better quality. Hard to tell from the pictures. How do the tires compare? Also, are the setbacks the same height? They both look nice. The BJ Summit looks snazzier overall but it seems like a close call to me. :) Good luck! I am not sure I could decide!

Kaylee31
12-07-2010, 01:45 PM
They do have the same seatback height. It is a close call! They both have their pros and cons. I am so indecisive about strollers! I do like the Summit, but will miss my TT if I get rid of it. I can't see keeping both though. I guess the Summit will stay tucked away (and hidden from DH! :) ) until/if I can sell the TT. And I am waiting for Tike Tech to send me the new post-recall belly bar before I try to do that.

roseyloxs
12-07-2010, 02:33 PM
From looks alone I prefer the BJ. The tike tech looks bulky to me in comparison. Are you the one who found the TT for some ridiculous low price?

Kaylee31
12-07-2010, 04:19 PM
From looks alone I prefer the BJ. The tike tech looks bulky to me in comparison. Are you the one who found the TT for some ridiculous low price?

Well, the fold is bulkier, but it's not a huge difference.
No, that wasn't me, but I remember that post. I got it for 15% off at Diapers, plus 10% Bing cb. And I got a ton of use out it, so I shouldn't feel guilty giving it the heave ho. :) But it's the first good, non-Graco stroller I bought and I guess I'm kind of attached to it. :p