PDA

View Full Version : Using Cloth Diapers with 3 kids

BeccaB-D
12-06-2010, 04:39 AM
I always used cloth diapers (regular and home-made prefolds with Dappi covers)
Recently we moved to a nicer environment and my DH got promoted, better paycheck + a nice bonus.

We decided to retire our old prefolds, and throw away the Dappi covers (they have worn out and aren't leakproof anymore)
Right now I have 3 kids in diapers: a 2,5 year old boy and 12 month old twin boys.
Next spring we are expecting another LO.:stork-girl:

I have been looking online for a nice diapering system, but got a bit overwhelmed, there are so many different options. I just don't know what to choose.

Right now I have a huge stack of prefolds in various sizes and Dappi covers (6-10 in every size)

I liked the prefold system I never minded the folding and neither does DH, even our teens put a clean diaper on there little brothers bum when needed (even our very cool 14 year old DS :cool:)

But those AIO, fitteds or pocket diapers look very nice, or should I just stick to prefolds and covers (but what brand of PF's and covers)
What about sizing? What's a better choice, One Sizes or Sized and should I choose Velcro or Snaps.
And what about the amount of diapers if I choose a AIO/Fitted/Pocket diaper system, especially with 3 LO's in diapers.

DH said I should order a few different brands and try them out, but there are just so many to choose from I decided to ask for a little advice first.

What do other moms here use, and what diapers do you love/like/dislike/hate and why.

daisymommy
12-06-2010, 05:55 PM
I LOVE One-Size pocket diapers. They fit anybody and everybody and you don't have to buy more sizes! They are as easy to put on as a disposable, leak proof, comfy--just awesome.

I recommend Happy Heiny's or Bum Genius 4.0
Many people like Fuzz Bunz One Size, but I think they run very small. I sold mine when my son hit 25 lbs. and there wasn't any grow room left.

Happy Heinys fit the longest (size wise).
http://www.abbyslane.com/catalog.php?category=482

Bum Genius 3.0 don't fit long enough, but the new 4.0 have been changed to fit much longer.

Buy 5 Bum Genius, get 1 Free!
http://www.cottonbabies.com/index.php

You could buy enough (not sure what that would be for 3 kids--I'm only used to doing one at a time). And snap half to fit your 2 year old (last/largest snap setting) and the other half to fit your twins. But that way, as they grow you don't need to buy bigger sizes, and they can inherit your older DS diapers when he potty trains.

If you do decide to go a different route than pockets, I would recommend Thirsties Duo covers, which are multi-size as well, and fit very well, and are leak proof.

FYI...I started using these diapers when my kids hit 10 lbs (right out of the newborn diapers stage).

american_mama
12-07-2010, 01:29 AM
I will come back and post in more detail later, but with three in diapers and your past experience with prefolds, the solution for you is either:

one-size pocket diapers
prefolds with one-size covers

There are some sampler packages that focus on one-size pockets which you might want to look into. bumGenius is probably the best known one-size pocket and to my knowledge is the only one that has stretchy waist tabs. Many people like to stuff pocket diapers (any brand) with prefolds, but I never liked that because it was bulky to me. Or, you can use trimmer inserts that come with the pockets. The other thing that would be good for you about pockets is you can pre-stuff them, line or stack them up at the changing table and they are all ready to go.

I am not very knowledgeable over one-size covers, but Thirsties Duo is one I hear a lot about. I think there are others as well. I have used a couple types of Dappi covers... are yours pull-on (which work well but are ugly) or with velcro at the waist and lined in vinyl (which eventually crack)? Either way, I think you will love using new, pretty, effective covers!

If I were you, I wouldn't worry about the two other types of diapers - fitteds and All in Ones. In my experience, AIOs tend to leak more than any other type of diaper and are hardest to wash and dry (because you often cannot separate the layers as much as in other types of diapers). And I discourage you from using fitteds because - well, becaue I never liked them much! I didn't like the two steps of putting on the diaper and then the cover, but that might not bother you because you;re used to the two steps of prefold and cover. I also think fitteds and a cover are bit bulky.

If you really want to try different kinds of diapers, Jillian's Drawers has a well-known trial program. There are a few others as well, which I will come back and post links to later.

alirebco
12-07-2010, 11:09 AM
With 3 kids, I would use prefolds and covers. The simplest solution IMO.

You could also do the Jillian's Drawers trial with your twins now to see if you like any other diapers. I loved them.

hellokitty
12-07-2010, 11:27 AM
Prefolds are still probably your most flexible option. HOWEVER, I am a die hard fuzzibunz fan. Used the S/M/L FBs for all 3 of my kids. I really love them. I tried to do prefolds and covers, but my DH refused to use them, but was agreeable to FBs.

Katigre
12-07-2010, 11:46 AM
Honestly I really love prefolds and find them the easiest and most fool-proof diapers to use. I'd buy prefolds from Green Mountain Diapers or NickisDiapers.

My favorite covers are Thirsties - they are just wonderful and do not leak. I just pt'd DD and put her in underwear with a Thirsties cover on top. She peed in her underwear and I didn't know it until I opened the cover and a lot of pee spilled out - the cover had totally contained it.

My second favorite cover are Motherease Airflow with side snaps.

AnnieW625
12-07-2010, 04:49 PM
Honestly I really love prefolds and find them the easiest and most fool-proof diapers to use. I'd buy prefolds from Green Mountain Diapers or NickisDiapers.

My favorite covers are Thirsties - they are just wonderful and do not leak. I just pt'd DD and put her in underwear with a Thirsties cover on top. She peed in her underwear and I didn't know it until I opened the cover and a lot of pee spilled out - the cover had totally contained it.

When I cloth diapered w/diaper service when DD2 was a newborn (had to stop because she was allergic to whatever detergent they were using) and briefly considered doing cloth full time again recently with DD2 I loved the ease of prefolds, and wraps. I liked Thirsties, and Bummis covers pretty equally. I also have a bunch of Fuzzi Bunz that I used for DD1 at night that are nice too, but washing the inserts is a pain so I am most likely just going to sell them on Craigslist.

LadyPeter
12-10-2010, 06:43 PM
I love the BumGenius Flip System (one size covers and inserts). I was able to use it on my 7lb 5oz newborn and they're supposed to fit through potty training. They contain sloppy newborn poops really well, and 2-3 covers last all day. Sometimes I use prefolds in these instead of the Stay-Dry inserts...works just as well.

http://www.babyearth.com/bumgenius-flip-day-pack-w-stay-dry-insert.html

fedoragirl
12-18-2010, 10:48 AM
Another shout out for prefolds and Thirsties covers. We've done them since day one and continue at 11 months. I hope to do so till she's potty trained.
I love Green Mountain Diapers. So much info.

BeccaB-D
12-20-2010, 12:16 PM
I got my new diapers!!!

8 Flip Day Pack Organic (total of 16 covers and 48 prefolds)
36 Bumgenius Elemental

2 dozen GMD Organic Newborn
2 dozen GMD Organic Small
3 dozen GMD Organic Medium
3 dozen GMD Organic Large

8 Thirties Duo Wrap Size One (girl colors)
24 Thirsties Duo Wrap Size Two (18 in boy colors and 6 in girl colors)

I threw my old Dappi covers in the trash (I had the pull ups) Finally!
Our old prefolds are now in the garage and laundry room (DH loves to use them too wash his car)

BayGirl2
01-13-2011, 09:22 PM
Agree with the suggestion to go with something one-size for flexibility.

We use BG Organic One-Size AIO's, which to me are the best of both worlds because they are AIO and OS. But I understand people's issues with AIO's, and it doesn't sound like you need them.

Thirsties Duos covers work really well and should fit all your kids.
We use BG Flips quite a bit also, they don't leak at all for us, are easy to wash, and offer size flexibility. I'm not a fan of the 2 step pre-fold/fitted + cover but Flips feel like one step to me.

We actually use Flip covers with a Gdiaper disposable insert and doubler at night because of diaper rash problems. Works like a charm, and its our backup for travel.