PDA

View Full Version : ***UPDATE*** Alternative to Snap N Go that works well with a HH board?

reissgirl
12-06-2010, 12:29 PM
*** UPDATE ***

I bought the Valco HH and tried it out with the Bumbleride Flyer, Flite and the BJCM. I have a Chicco car seat.

The board did not work well (as was already mentioned) with the BJCM. I have pretty long arms and am 5'5" so I was able to push the BJCM with the board attached (with DS1 outside the handle bar) but it was a little uncomfortable because my arms had to be straight out.

It worked with the Flyer - actually worked better with the car seat still facing me! So the reversible handle was surprisingly not helpful. I think the stroller works really well with the board attached - steered really well - but DS1 is a bit too short for it to be comfortable. He is not tall enough to see over the canopy and his neck was really close to the canopy. Therefore, I don't think it's a great solution. But the steering was fabulous! I did not like the fold, though. It was very easy to fold but was cumbersome and awkward to lift when folded.

The Flite was the most comfortable physically for DS1 - it offered him the most room and viewing ability. But it had my least favorite steering ability. I think it was just a tad too "rickety" so I guess a sturdier stroller would be better.

So I think the verdict is that a two-handled stroller would be most practical. Of course, that will probably result in less ideal steering (the flyer steered SO WELL compared to my Mac Triumph). Or is there one-handled strollers that have telescoping handles that is not a heavy AT?

Any suggestions of other strollers to consider? Thanks!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I need a car stroller that will accept a Chicco Keyfit for DS2 and also work well with some sort of board for DS1. I can't imagine pushing a regular Snap N Go loaded up with two kids. What narrow stroller do you recommend - ideally it will eventually replace my Mac Triumph that I don't love. Thanks.

jacksmoma
12-06-2010, 12:54 PM
bugaboo bee? super light and narrow and is sooo cool with the car seat adaptor and bugaboo board....not sure if it takes chicco car seats though? that's one great seat up i wish i had had when my second was born (i just ordered the bug board for my 1 1/2 year old and 3 year old for our bee...)

reissgirl
12-06-2010, 01:33 PM
While I don't have a specific budget in mind, I think the Bee is just too expensive. Especially since it doesn't seem to fit older children well and there's always the possibility that DS2 will like the stroller long-term. This will also be my travel stroller for flying so I'm thinking up to about $300 would be reasonable.

Smillow
12-06-2010, 01:39 PM
I think Arivecchi used the HH on a First Years Indigo & that can be used as a stroller frame for a Graco. Search First Years Indigo...

roseyloxs
12-06-2010, 03:05 PM
A reversible might work best. Most strollers need the seat to be reclined fairly deep for the car seat which might get in the way of a board user.

The only reversibles that are reasonably priced are the First years indigo and wave. The Uppa Baby cruz is coming out sometime this spring or summer and is rumored to be about $400.

If you give up the reversible then an umbrella is probably your best best. I know the Cybex Topaz and Callisto strollers as well as the bumbleride flite take car seats. If not an umbrella maybe the peg si, ingelsina zippy, or zooper waltz?

Are you interested in ATs? Then the bumbleride indie or MB swift would work.

reissgirl
12-07-2010, 03:08 AM
The reversible strollers sound like a good bet but they're so heavy. I'm not sure that over 20 pounds would work as a car stroller. Sounds back breaking.

Can I use the Topaz with a board?

I am really intrigued by the Swift and am considering it for my outdoor AT stroller in lieu of my Valco TriMode. The website doesn't say what car seats it accepts, though. Do you know if it accepts the Chicco? If so, do you think it would also work with a board? I still have the weight concern for lugging it in and out of the car 8 times a day.

reissgirl
12-07-2010, 03:11 AM
What about the Mac Easy Traveler? With DS1 I had the Baby Trend Snap N Go. It was so light and easy to use but I can't imagine pushing it with a toddler on a board! Is the Mac any better (not even sure if it accepts the Chicco)?

roseyloxs
12-07-2010, 10:24 AM
The reversible strollers sound like a good bet but they're so heavy. I'm not sure that over 20 pounds would work as a car stroller. Sounds back breaking.

Can I use the Topaz with a board?

I am really intrigued by the Swift and am considering it for my outdoor AT stroller in lieu of my Valco TriMode. The website doesn't say what car seats it accepts, though. Do you know if it accepts the Chicco? If so, do you think it would also work with a board? I still have the weight concern for lugging it in and out of the car 8 times a day.

Sorry I just looked it up and the swift car seat adapter and it isn't compatible with the chicco. The bumbleride indie is compatible with the chicco though if you are still interested in a compact AT as an all in one.

Some more reversible options that take the chicco would be the bumbleride flyer (which is pretty lightweight) and the uppa baby vista.

Finally.. yes you can use a toddler board(valco hitchhiker) with the Topaz.
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_6Ml-52zknzU/THslIC4xoAI/AAAAAAAAALE/3pe8jRAAxro/s128/003.JPG

babychi
12-07-2010, 10:33 AM
What about the Mac Easy Traveler? With DS1 I had the Baby Trend Snap N Go. It was so light and easy to use but I can't imagine pushing it with a toddler on a board! Is the Mac any better (not even sure if it accepts the Chicco)?

Not sure if the Mac ET works with a toddler board, but it does work with the Chicco Keyfit infant seat. Steers great and so light! We used it for the first few months with our Keyfit.

reissgirl
12-23-2010, 03:27 AM
I looked through all of the stroller suggestions and it looks like the Cybex strollers are the most lightweight and compact.

Do you think that the single handle on the Callisto makes it more easily maneuverable than the Topaz? I have a Mac triumph now and I find it takes a lot of wrist power to steer one-handed. The Topaz handles look similar to the Mac. Does the Callisto and/or Topaz have a better ride than a Mac since it has suspension?

Overstock lists the Callisto as 19.2 pounds but Cybex lists it as 17.6 pounds. I think that Overstock is selling 2009 models but did it really get 2 pounds lighter!?

Should I consider a "stroller and a half" like the Joovy Caboose Ultralight? Right now I barely ever bring the Mac for errands - DS1 just walks - but I figure I'll need a way to contain him once DS2 comes around. I think the board will be enough since he's absolutely obsessed with skateboards and all other items with wheels.

For an AT I think I'm going to wait for the Duet to be released and use a carrier and my Valco Trimode until then.

purpelina
12-23-2010, 03:47 AM
While I don't have a specific budget in mind, I think the Bee is just too expensive. Especially since it doesn't seem to fit older children well and there's always the possibility that DS2 will like the stroller long-term. This will also be my travel stroller for flying so I'm thinking up to about $300 would be reasonable.

older Bee (sometimes called bee minus :)) was a tad smaller than new one, and there were a few issues with bigger children not fitting well - more so in parent facing position. There was not much legroom, no foot rest. But in forward facing position these problems were solved. Older children usually want to forward face anyway. Newer bee has even bigger seat, and seat size is adjustable. So in the long run, bee makes a great one and only stroller.

It makes great travel stroller, I was adventurous enough to fly with it cross continents without even a transport bag. All went well (lucky me! Sturdy bee!), but for frequent flying I would probably recommend travel bag.

It is expensive, but if you stretch it out in terms of years of use, it makes sense...

sweetsoul99
12-23-2010, 05:40 AM
the joovy ultralight is functional, but a beast to push and steer once you get it all loaded up, especially with a car seat in the front.

reissgirl
12-23-2010, 07:21 PM
I've pushed a Bee and thought it was really maneuverable. However, I would still be too nervous lugging around a $600 stroller! I would always be afraid if I had to leave it in stroller parking at a museum or play space. My Snap N Go frame actually got twisted at gate check so I don't really trust strollers and air travel. I've traveled many times since then without incident but I wouldn't really care if my $100+ Mac got crushed.

So it sounds like the Sit N Stand style strollers are just too hard to push.

How is the steering on the Callisto? Could it handle a car seat and a toddler on a board? Or will it feel back breaking? Thanks!

roseyloxs
12-23-2010, 08:32 PM
I've pushed a Bee and thought it was really maneuverable. However, I would still be too nervous lugging around a $600 stroller! I would always be afraid if I had to leave it in stroller parking at a museum or play space. My Snap N Go frame actually got twisted at gate check so I don't really trust strollers and air travel. I've traveled many times since then without incident but I wouldn't really care if my $100+ Mac got crushed.

So it sounds like the Sit N Stand style strollers are just too hard to push.

How is the steering on the Callisto? Could it handle a car seat and a toddler on a board? Or will it feel back breaking? Thanks!

Steering is good but you would be the first to use it with a car seat or board. Let us know if you try it.

legaleagle
12-23-2010, 09:29 PM
I wonder if you could use the maclaren easy traveller with a board?

reissgirl
12-24-2010, 12:16 AM
Do you think the handle going across would be problematic with a board - where would the child's head go... in front of or behind the handlebar?

Have you tried the Topaz fully reclined with the toddler board in use?

roseyloxs
12-24-2010, 01:43 PM
Do you think the handle going across would be problematic with a board - where would the child's head go... in front of or behind the handlebar?

Have you tried the Topaz fully reclined with the toddler board in use?

I don't think there is room to go in front of the handlebar so they would probably have to ride behind the handlebar.

I have my HH installed very closely to the stroller so the seat can't be fully reclined with the board. This is why I suggested a reversible originally since the baby legs wouldn't be an issue for the rider for at least the first 18 months.
I just received my Bee plus today and the HH fit perfectly. I had my almost 18 month old ride rear facing and the HH still worked nicely. At first I had it installed to close and dd was kicking ds for fun but I moved it further back and it works. The push isn't a one finger push with the HH installed but its still a strong one handed push. Which is pretty good since its carrying almost 60lbs with an HH rider.

reissgirl
12-26-2010, 11:02 AM
I don't think the reversible strollers that need the seat removed for a car seat will really offer me anything better than a Mac Easy Traveller. It doesn't look like the Bee takes a Chicco (I still can't swallow the price tag) and I think that's the only compact one that would steer great, thus winning over the Mac ET.

It looks like the two umbrella strollers that might work are the Bumbleride Flyer and the Cybex Topaz. I think the Flyer would make DS2 more "viewable" than the Topaz, although I'm not so sure that the single handlebar will work with a HH board.

What about the City Mini? I would ideally prefer a narrower stroller but do you think it would work with a board?

Do I need to just give up on the idea of a lightweight, compact stroller that accepts both a car seat and a toddler board? Is it just wishful thinking? I really like the idea because it gives me the option of taking DS2 out of the car seat and putting him into a fully reclining stroller seat. Then I can also wear DS2 is DS1 gets tired and wants to hitch a ride.

As an alternative, should I get the Joovy Caboose Ultralight, even though it doesn't steer fabulously well? I'm coming to realize that this is only going to be a temporary stroller setup. It would be great if it could last beyond the infant car seat, but I need to focus on what will make my life easier right now.

38+ weeks and counting... I better make a quick decision. :)

Thanks!

roseyloxs
12-26-2010, 12:33 PM
It looks like the two umbrella strollers that might work are the Bumbleride Flyer and the Cybex Topaz. I think the Flyer would make DS2 more "viewable" than the Topaz, although I'm not so sure that the single handlebar will work with a HH board.

I have actually used a flyer with the valco HH. I don't have any pics sorry. The flyer's adjustable handle gives plenty of space for a rider.

reissgirl
12-27-2010, 01:28 AM
Does the Flyer have a lot more room than the Topaz? Is it a lot easier to push? The Flyer is a much bigger investment. I live in Seattle and I'm nervous that I wouldn't be able to sell it on CL.

Do either of these strollers fold with the HH attached? Is there a different board that I should consider or is that the most favored one here?

Should I consider the City Mini? I imagine that would be an easier stroller to sell.

jacksmoma
12-27-2010, 12:57 PM
Does the Flyer have a lot more room than the Topaz? Is it a lot easier to push? The Flyer is a much bigger investment. I live in Seattle and I'm nervous that I wouldn't be able to sell it on CL.

Do either of these strollers fold with the HH attached? Is there a different board that I should consider or is that the most favored one here?

Should I consider the City Mini? I imagine that would be an easier stroller to sell.

city mini does not work well with a board- the rider would have to stand outside of the handlebar as there's not enough room unless you unstrap the canopy and it's still really tight. really the bee is the best choice and it folds with the board on and steers the best. you may just want to do a side by side double, it's the easiest and less fussy than a board on a stroller :)

reissgirl
12-27-2010, 02:23 PM
A SBS just seems so cumbersome since DS1 rarely rides in a stroller - never has. At this point, he is in a stroller for under an hour collectively over the course of one week.

I am planning on getting the Duet for outside use when it comes out. So hard to wait!

The Bee is very expensive and it does not accept the Chicco Keyfit so it's not a great option for me.

So it sounds like it's between the Topaz and the Flyer. Not sure if either of them fold with the HH or which one would have more room for the rider if I have the car seat installed.

sabbie3
12-27-2010, 06:40 PM
I have the Flyer with the HH and really like it, in fact went with it over the Bee since my 3 year still likes to ride and the Bee+ I found still way to small. I find it easy to fold and it's very easy to push. I can fold it with the HH on but it is heavier to lift with it on and the automatic locking can't catch because of the HH but that doesn't bother me. My 3 year old loves riding on the HH and can actually sit on the HH with his feet in the basket when he feels like it. I can take a picture if you need me to to give you an idea of how the HH looks on the Flyer.

Also a big plus to me is Bumbleride's CS, they are fantastic. I had a problem with the handle after owning mine about 3 weeks and they had me send the stroller back to them but instead of being without a stroller while they fixed it they sent me a new one as soon as they got the tracking number from the one I was sending to them. Ended up not have a Flyer for a few days and I got a brand new stroller.

roseyloxs
12-28-2010, 03:01 PM
I would say the topaz actually might have better steering then the flyer but I would go with the flyer for the reversible option and because you can fold the stroller with HH attached. I have seen flyers sell on seattle's CL for about $150 but they have all been the older models.

Update: after pushing the topaz again yesterday I can confidently say the flyer has better steering.

GoBlue
12-28-2010, 11:18 PM
I have the Flyer with the HH and really like it, in fact went with it over the Bee since my 3 year still likes to ride and the Bee+ I found still way to small. I find it easy to fold and it's very easy to push. I can fold it with the HH on but it is heavier to lift with it on and the automatic locking can't catch because of the HH but that doesn't bother me. My 3 year old loves riding on the HH and can actually sit on the HH with his feet in the basket when he feels like it. I can take a picture if you need me to to give you an idea of how the HH looks on the Flyer.

Also a big plus to me is Bumbleride's CS, they are fantastic. I had a problem with the handle after owning mine about 3 weeks and they had me send the stroller back to them but instead of being without a stroller while they fixed it they sent me a new one as soon as they got the tracking number from the one I was sending to them. Ended up not have a Flyer for a few days and I got a brand new stroller.

Hi sabbie3-

Would you mind taking a picture of the Flyer with HH attached? My DD will be 2 years and 3 months when DC2 is due to arrive in June. She doesn't love to sit in the stroller, but may really like a HH, and I already have a Flyer in my fleet. It would be great to have this as an option.

Thanks!!

reissgirl
02-05-2011, 08:49 PM
Bump. Update in post #1.

jacksmoma
02-05-2011, 09:06 PM
YES!! the indie works VERY well with the hh attached- plenty of room for a board rider and great adjusting handlebar for mom. makes the break harder to get to but a small trade off. i chose to return it as i just don't care much for boards, they get in my way too much and my 3 year old doesn't want to ride it enough. try the indie, you;ll love it!

WatchingThemGrow
02-05-2011, 09:17 PM
FWIW, my DC like to sit on the HH board to ride along. We use it with the BJCED. They stand, however, when using the Bugaboo board.

lpl47
02-05-2011, 09:47 PM
I used a buggie board with the Mountain Buggy Urban Jungle Single and it was great. I'm not sure if they make a car seat adapter for your seat for that, but my DD could stand between the stroller seat/shade and the handle bar which made it easy to push. I also used it 5 years ago with a Peg Perego Pliko Lite. Not sure what Peg Perego makes now that has 2 handles instead of a handle bar, but that might be a stroller to consider.

Good luck.

roseyloxs
02-06-2011, 10:16 AM
It worked with the Flyer - actually worked better with the car seat still facing me! So the reversible handle was surprisingly not helpful. I think the stroller works really well with the board attached - steered really well - but DS1 is a bit too short for it to be comfortable. He is not tall enough to see over the canopy and his neck was really close to the canopy. Therefore, I don't think it's a great solution. But the steering was fabulous! I did not like the fold, though. It was very easy to fold but was cumbersome and awkward to lift when folded.

Once you stop using the car seat and start placing the baby in the stroller the reversible handle will be more useful. Also in this configuration the canopy would be opposite of the board rider so being too short wouldn't be an issue. Furthermore you can zip off the canopy and move it forward a little bit so he might actually be able to see under the canopy if you wanted to use it forward facing. Just some suggestions since it sounded like you were a fan of the flyer.

If you want a bigger more sturdy umbrella the Cybex Topaz works great with the HH. You can use a car seat on the topaz but you won't be able to use it with a full recline and a rider. Which is another plus to the flyer since the baby could still be in a full recline parent facing and take the HH.

reissgirl
02-07-2011, 09:40 PM
It does sound like the Flyer will provide more options long-term, but the Cybex is SO much less expensive. From what I've read here, the Topaz steering is only slightly inferior to the Flyer's. Also, the Flyer was really easy to fold (except it was clumsy when I had DS2 - 5 weeks - in a Moby while folding it) but felt really heavy to lift. It was awkward to grab and lift, so I'm wondering if the Topaz would be easier for using in and out of the car all day. If you think a Cybex is an easier stroller in general, is the Topaz the model I should get? I previously owned (for a week) a Silver Cross Dazzle and thought the handlebars were uncomfortable. Is the Topaz like the Dazzle?

roseyloxs
02-07-2011, 10:35 PM
I don't know anything about the dazzle.

The Topaz is definitely a smaller fold. I don't remember the flyer having an awkward fold but not sure I ever tried to lift it with a moby on.

If you don't think you will need to use a full recline while using the HH then I might get the Topaz. However I think you might have more options with the flyer. The fold may be bigger but I think it will become second nature to fold and throw in the car.

reissgirl
02-08-2011, 10:58 PM
I didn't realize that the Inglesina Zippy and some of the Pegs have built-in steps for an additional rider. The Zippy says it can take the Chicco car seat - does it sit pretty tight in the seat or is it only held in by straps? Would this be a better option than a Valco HH because it will be more compact? Does the Pliko Switch take the Chicco even though it's not technically meant to do so?