PDA

View Full Version : Lego newbie! Help :)

lovebebes
12-06-2010, 01:30 PM
this is strange right? But we have never ever had Legos! No particular reason really...just never got any. I assume DD2 would like them-she likes building with blocks,etc and even DD1 may like them too.

I saw the Big Pink Box at Amazon that looks awesome, do I just get that to start with? Are the pieces really tiny? Is it dumb to get legos now that we have a one month old-or do i just get them and let the girls play with them until it is dangerous for the baby and then put them away?

wimama
12-06-2010, 01:51 PM
I think Legos are pretty cool! I never had them when I was a kid, so they were a bit foreign to me when DS started getting into them. So, I was a Lego Newbie not long ago, too!

We are considering having another child, and I don't like all the little pieces of Legos and other small bits of toys all over the house. So, we have DS play with Playmobil and Legos in his bedroom only. That way the little bits are confined to one area. Until DS was old enough to respect that, we only let toys like Legos and Playmobil come out to the kitchen table for play time.

I remind him regularly that we will only let him play with those big boy toys if he respects that rule. So, if he wants more Legos and Playmobil he needs to take care of them and not lose them or cart them through the house. And, I regularly threaten him with the vacuum. If he leaves little bits on the floor they might get vacuumed up. He is a bit of a pack rat and likes cart toys through out the house. If we let him do that with Legos and Playmobil that would be a huge mess. He loves playing with both, so he has been respecting our rules for playtime with them.

I have also heard of some mom's having their kids play on sheets on the floor when playing with Legos. Then you can just pick up the sheet and pour all the little pieces into the box.