PDA

View Full Version : Good charity relating to dogs for Xmas donation?

infocrazy
12-06-2010, 02:12 PM
Aside from the humane society, can anyone suggest a good charity to make a donation that is related to dogs? My Stepmom would prefer this to a gift for the holidays. I would like to honor this request but want a few ideas on some places to donate to. She lives in the Indy area if anyone knows of one locally.

TIA!

infomama
12-06-2010, 02:22 PM
I would stay local like the ASPCA or a breed specific rescue. Charity Navigator dot org will break down where your money goes for many charities.

o_mom
12-06-2010, 02:23 PM
For Indy specifically, there is a low-cost spay-neuter clinic here that is trying to reduce pet over-population: http://www.facespayneuter.org/

Other than the humane society, there are many rescue groups (either generic or breed-specific). You could also look at a guide dog school. There isn't one in Indy, but there is one in Ohio (Pilot Dogs) and one in Michigan (Leader Dogs) that would be the most obvious choices for people in this area.

weech
Does she have a particular breed she likes? Or just dogs in general?

I would check google for local rescues. The bigger organizations tend to get lots of donations around this time, but sometimes people forget about local rescues run totally by volunteers.

I would suggest the rescue I volunteered for, but they only serve the mid-Atlantic :)

TwinFoxes
I always get calendars from Boxer Rescue LA. The pics of the Boxer dogs are sooo adorable. But obviously others will have their faves. :)

infocrazy
12-06-2010, 03:36 PM
You could also look at a guide dog school. There isn't one in Indy, but there is one in Ohio (Pilot Dogs) and one in Michigan (Leader Dogs) that would be the most obvious choices for people in this area.

Great idea! I'll look into this more.

Does she have a particular breed she likes? Or just dogs in general?

I would check google for local rescues. The bigger organizations tend to get lots of donations around this time, but sometimes people forget about local rescues run totally by volunteers.

They have a lab mix, so that is her preferance, but not a requirement.

I agree on trying to support the smaller orgs, that's why I prefer to not just make a donation to the Humane Society.

Thanks!

justbreathe11
12-06-2010, 03:57 PM
This is personally the one I would help
http://www.spcai.org/baghdad-pups.html

o_mom
12-06-2010, 04:19 PM
They have a lab mix, so that is her preferance, but not a requirement.

Central IN Lab Rescue, Lucky Lab and Love of Labs, IN do lab rescue in Indiana. I'm sure there are others, but those are the ones I have heard about.

Radosti
12-06-2010, 04:24 PM
Coming on the winter and being a rescuer myself, I would like to suggest going through the Kuranda Dog Bed website and participating in their Donate a dog bed to a shelter from their list program. Basically, they have raised dog beds that are difficult to destroy. For dogs in the ASPCA or other shelter kennels, sleeping on cold cement in the winter is extremely uncomfortable. Blankets get destroyed too quickly. The kuranda beds are easy to hose off, dry quickly, and are pretty chew-proof. I've donated a few to my local SPCA using their discounted program and they are always extremely grateful.

http://kuranda.com/humane/