PDA

View Full Version : Help me decide - - Twin Triumph or BJ City Mini Double?

dallashorn
12-06-2010, 03:24 PM
I have a 5 yo and 2 yo. My girl is 42" tall, weighs 40 lbs. Son is 36" tall, weighs 25 lbs. Currently using a sit and stand but it's hard to push and frankly DD prefers to sit forward facing instead of backward facing on the jump seat (I do not have the back seat converter). Last year we took this to Disney. We are going again in January and I'm seriously considering a new stroller.

I've found 2 used ones at a resale store that I'm trying to decide between: a twin triumph or a BJ city mini. In terms of cost, the city mini is double what the triumph is.

My concern with the BJCM is the small/hard to reach basket. I currently use the basket on the stroller A LOT, so having a sizable one that is easy to reach is important. My other concern is if it's REALLY worth spending a double given this will likely be the last year DD rides in the stroller. However, the BJCM does seem very comfy and way easy to manuver.

I'd really like some thoughts so I can try to make a desision.

roseyloxs
12-06-2010, 04:30 PM
BJCMD. You can sell it when you get back from Disney and make most of your money back. The mesh bags on the back of seat can hold a lot. Diaper bags can be hung from handlebar and lots of BJCM users here use Mommy hooks or something similar. Also its easier to access the BJCMD basket from the side but its still hard to put large rigid items into it.

AnnieW625
12-06-2010, 05:59 PM
I would go with the Triumph because you should get more seat height. If you have the chance go back to the store and try both of your children in the strollers. My DD1 is about the same size as your DD and she still has room in her Triumph.

poohbear
12-06-2010, 07:51 PM
I'd probably go BJCMD - the twin triumph and the triumph are two totally different beasts from what I understand. I love my triumph but most people do not enjoy the push of the double macs...
As Roseyloxs pointed out, the meshpockets on the back of the BJCMD seat backs offer a lot of storage. And you can attach mommy hooks and/or stroller swirlers or whatever...
And the basket is usable - I have found that you can put soft items in it (gap bags filled with clothing, jackets, etc), it is just best accessed from the side (this is on the BJCM. I also have a triumph - both single versions). IMO resale on the BJCMD will be higher than the Mac...

lhafer
12-06-2010, 08:43 PM
Just got back from Disney yesterday! Rented a BJCMD for my 4 year old and 9 mo old. Loved it. I have a BJCM single, so I am very familiar with the brand and stroller. It was great. Easy to fold for the buses, easy to manuever around. Not one person bumped into me.

I did take stroller hooks, a saddle bag for extra clothes, a skip hop pronto that I kept in the mesh part in the back (so I didn't have to load up my diaper bag with diapers/wipes), and a sunshine kids parent console. These all came in VERY handy during our week and a half there.

ETA: I rented the stroller from an outside company (www.themeparkstrollers.com) for $148 for 10 days. That included a 2010 BJCMD (crimson color), a rain canopy, and the insurance. It was WELL worth the money for us. I don't have or use a double stroller at home, but knew we would need one at Disney. For the airport, I brought along our Maclaren Volo for the baby. It worked really well that way. We used just the Volo a few times during our trip and it was nice to also have the smaller stroller. The BJCMD was there waiting for us at the resort, and I just dropped it off at the Bell services when we left. Doesn't get any easier!!

purpelina
12-06-2010, 08:54 PM
I'd vote for bjcmd. I did have a single triumph and loved it, but even with one kid it was getting hard to push and maneuver once it gets' to the weight limit. I can only imagine how twin triumph handles. And twin bj is not much wider than twin triumph. (if at all?) Plus, the fold is so great. Sure, I can fold a mac in 3 seconds, but bj in just 1. Who has the extra time?! Especially with 2 kids.

I agree with pp, that if you could go to the store with both kids and compare strollers with actual passengers, the answer will present itself.

mrsjde
12-06-2010, 10:22 PM
From someone that has the Twin Triumph... go with the BJCMD. I am in the process looking for a new double because the Twin Triumph is getting too hard to push now that the kiddies are getting bigger. DS who is tall for his age is constently putting his feet on the wheels which is dangerous more than anything.

diegosmom
12-06-2010, 11:20 PM
I echo the BJCMD. We have one for my 4 1/2 year old and my 2 1/2 year old and have used it almost exclusively since I had the 2 1/2 year old. Someone already mentioned but the Mommy Hooks work out great and you can use the basket on bottom for softer items like jackets and such. You will just have to go in from the side. It has never been an issue for us.