PDA

View Full Version : s/o: for fun if you could relocate, where would you relocate to?

AnnieW625
12-06-2010, 05:46 PM
Unless DH got another job in the private industry or federal govt., and we were able to sell our house and break even I would love to move to either Portland, OR, or Austin, TX. . It's been a few years but I really enjoyed time we spent in Portland, and while I haven't been to Texas (DFW airport doesn't count) I have heard good things, and have old friends there. Either Boulder, or Denver, CO would be on the list too. If I had to stay in California and relocate more than 10 miles away we'd most likely just move back to Sacramento.

Corie
12-06-2010, 05:49 PM
After 4 relocation moves for my husband's job (DH's choice to do so), I am
in the location that I want to be. I told my husband from the beginning to
try and get us to Cincinnati. I do not want to move again. I am very happy
here!! :)

edurnemk
12-06-2010, 05:54 PM
I'd gladly go back to Chicago, I also like Austin but the hot weather could be a bit much for me. I've heard great things about Portland, from what I've heard I'd seriously consider it.

codex57
12-06-2010, 05:54 PM
I like my hometown in SoCal but my mom is there and doesn't appear to be leaving anytime soon (she actually wants me to move back, which I would like to, if she weren't around).

For fun, if we could find work, Hawaii sounds nice. DW wants to move back to SF but I don't. South Bay or parts of East Bay could be nice, but I don't like the City.

cindys
12-06-2010, 05:57 PM
The DC area/Northern Va....

I used to live there and loved loved loved it....Would go back in a sec but my DH is a born and bred Georgia Boy and will never leave this state :(

Cindy
Mama to 3 boys...19, 4 & 2 :heartbeat::heartbeat::heartbeat:

babychi
12-06-2010, 05:59 PM
We've been talking seriously about relocating for the past two years! Our top three are Atlanta, Charlotte, and Austin, TX. Realistically though due to our careers, Atlanta is the most likely bet (see other post!), followed by Charlotte. Austin isn't really on our radar in terms of jobs, but it's such a cool place!

We love Chicago but would like settle in a city with a smaller vibe and be able to buy a larger house close to work to raise our family. Oh, and we are not cold weather people! :)

jgenie
12-06-2010, 06:03 PM
San Antonio - the plan was to retire there but now with DC we may end up staying on the East Coast.

bluestarfish18
12-06-2010, 06:05 PM
We're dreaming here right?

-Back to Carlsbad, CA
-London
-Seattle (even though it's only 30 minutes away)

But in reality, there are only a few places DH could relocate to, do to the availability of his position. Out of those, I'd pick:

-Italy
-Hawaii
or
-Germany

happymom
12-06-2010, 06:06 PM
I'd love to live in California just for the weather. For every other reason though, it doesnt make any sense!

JTsMom
12-06-2010, 06:08 PM
I really love ATL, but I'd much prefer to be back on the north side.

elektra
12-06-2010, 06:11 PM
I can't see myself moving away from family at this point, but if we're just pretending, I would say NYC, Chicago, Charleston, Austin, or Santa Barbara.

I have reasons for each place but honestly I do not think I could do cold weather on a long-term basis.

SnuggleBuggles
12-06-2010, 06:13 PM
New York City if we could maintain the housing level we are used to. Cost of living adjusted so while the amounts may be higher, the % are still the same.

Otherwise, US Virgin Islands or some place warm and beautiful. :)

Beth

crazydiamond
12-06-2010, 06:30 PM
If I had to - I would be okay from in the pacific northwest - from Northern California to Seattle. Fact is I could get a great job in that part of the country and likely with notable raise in salary and benefits. However, my family and I like our town.

crl
12-06-2010, 06:34 PM
Steamboat Springs Colorado
Paris (but only temporarily)
Hong Kong (but only temporarily)

Catherine

Melanie
12-06-2010, 06:41 PM
Seattle. :heartbeat:

arivecchi
12-06-2010, 06:46 PM
Aspen or Whistler. I dream of having beaucoup hot chocolates by the fire in my chalet. :)

http://skirealestate.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/vail3.jpg

tmahanes
12-06-2010, 07:15 PM
Savannah in old of the old homes on one of the squares that I restore myself or on Tybee right on the water! :)

Something like this!!
http://www.slrobertson.com/images/usa/georgia/savannah/savannah-mansion-2-b.jpg
This is not my pic.... it just came from the internet!! (just for clarification!)

hellokitty
12-06-2010, 07:22 PM
Off of the top of my head, Asheville, NC. Now, I admit that I haven't given much thought to all the nitty gritty practical details, but I visited 11 yrs ago and it was the first time in my life where I actually fell in love with the scenery. Plus, we now have two relatives who live in NC, so we'd be closer to them. Obviously, I'm not much of a beach person.

elektra
12-06-2010, 07:24 PM
Obviously, I'm not much of a beach person.

I am honestly not much of a beach person either. However, I need to have water nearby!

LBW
12-06-2010, 07:38 PM
So many places! I've wanted to escape NJ nearly my whole life.

In no particular order:

Ireland
Norway or Sweden
Maine
Vermont
New Hampshire
Oregon
Washington state
Asheville NC
Charlottesville VA
Aspen (or another small town in the CO mountains)

ETA: Stars Hollow (from the Gilmore Girls) - my dream town, except it's in CT

But, honestly I'd go almost anywhere with a lower cost of living at this point.

mommylamb
12-06-2010, 07:40 PM
DH and I are pretty much stuck in DC. We're entirely unemployable pretty much anywhere else, with the possible exception of NYC. I do like DC (minus the traffic), so I'm ok with it. But I love Portland, OR. I used to live in Boston, and I wouldn't mind being back there either.

Puddy73
12-06-2010, 07:41 PM
Savannah in old of the old homes on one of the squares that I restore myself or on Tybee right on the water! :)

Something like this!!
http://www.slrobertson.com/images/usa/georgia/savannah/savannah-mansion-2-b.jpg
This is not my pic.... it just came from the internet!! (just for clarification!)

I live in Savannah, but I'd like to relocate to that house! :)

DH wants to move to Iceland. I have no idea why. Sweden, Denmark or Norway would be on my list.

LexyLou
12-06-2010, 07:45 PM
Well, we've moved 3 times for DH's work. Silicon Valley to San Diego to New Jersey and back to Silicon Valley.

I still mourn the loss of San Diego in our lives and would move there in a heartbeat if DH could be as successful there as he is here, but that's unlikely since it's such a small market there, but I would love to be there.

But my #1 place I want to relocate to is Sydney, Australia. I would move in a days notice if his firm would pay the way. We were all set to go after his NJ rotation and then the economy tanked and the firm stopped all international rotations.

mom2one
12-06-2010, 07:54 PM
At this point, I just want to get back close to family. We are on the west coast, the rest of the family is on ten east coast. Give me a nice city on the eat coast. It would be nice to get in the car and drive to see someone!

crayonblue
12-06-2010, 08:04 PM
San Diego. I know I am whining but I am sick and tired of the D.C. weather. It's either too hot or too cold with a couple of weeks of nice per year.

crayonblue
12-06-2010, 08:06 PM
I'd love to live in California just for the weather. For every other reason though, it doesnt make any sense!

That's us too...but we are trying to create some sense in it! If we can get family to follow us, we will go!

DietCokeLover
12-06-2010, 08:15 PM
Charleston, South Carolina, Savannah, GA or Orlando, Florida

kijip
12-06-2010, 08:38 PM
I am here to stay at least until my kids are done with school and my dad is deceased. And I am happy with that. Seattle is a great place to live. In addition to family, we have a kickass support system, a ton of friends, and my employability is highest here in Seattle because what I do is based on knowing the climate and people very, very well and because the strength of my resume speaks loudest in Seattle, since people know who I have worked for and the organizations merit local respect, especially where I work now. So even w/o family, the job market sort of ties me here.

In dream land where nothing is tying me to Seattle? I just don't know. There are a lot of places I like, too many to list! Not anywhere hot or snowy though. So that leaves me in places like...Seattle. See why I belong here?

Nicsmom
12-06-2010, 08:42 PM
I would love to go back to Toronto.

niccig
12-06-2010, 08:54 PM
Realistically, we're not going anywhere until DH retires. His work is only here. We're starting to kick around the idea of relocating when DH retires and DS is done with college. We're thinking central CA near a wine area. I don't think we can move to where it's cold, and the COL would be a "little less" and we would downsize.

ellies mom
12-06-2010, 08:55 PM
If it wasn't for the weather, I'd love to move back to the Essex Jct/Burlington Vermont area. I grew up there and absolutely love it.

We've contemplating moving back to Sacramento but in all honesty, I'd be quite happy if I could just move back across the river to Portland.

tmahanes
12-06-2010, 09:09 PM
I live in Savannah, but I'd like to relocate to that house! :)

DH wants to move to Iceland. I have no idea why. Sweden, Denmark or Norway would be on my list.

Is there a jealous smiley? I LOVED living in SAV!!!

Please excuse my typos I am typing on my phone!

tarahsolazy
12-06-2010, 09:15 PM
We lived in Portland for six years before moving back to the Midwest, and part of me would move back today. I could easily get a job there, but with higher COL, DH would probably have to work as well.

I'm pretty set in my career and probably will never move, but in my downsizing dreams:

Duluth, MN
Madison, WI

Seriously, esp Duluth. Clearly cold does not bother me.

shawnandangel
12-06-2010, 09:18 PM
Grand Rapids Michigan - my number one. Whenever I go there, it feels like home
or
Galway Ireland - I loved it there! The most beautiful place I have ever seen and the people were so friendly
or
Cincinnatti Ohio - We think it's a cool city. It puts us smack dab between dh's family and mine.

We also toy with:
Savannah Georgia
Denver Colorado
Buffalo New York

But honestly, I just want to go to Michigan. I love it there. I really dislike living in Tennesse and when I graduate, I really want to move. I would love to live in my hometown in Ohio but the area is so depressed the ability for dh and I to find jobs is highly unlikely.

bubbaray
12-06-2010, 09:28 PM
Florence Italy or anywhere in Tuscany.
Provence area of France.

Realistically, the only other place we'd be (semi) likely to move would be Germany.

pb&j
12-06-2010, 09:33 PM
I LOVE LOVE LOVE my town with a passion, and have no desire to move. But if I won the lottery, I would totally have a second home on a square in Savannah. And I'd take classes part time at SCAD and I'd also have a little place out on the beach in Tybee. Savannah's the only other place in the world I've ever been that felt like home. I can't explain it, I think I must have lived there in a former life.

LMPC
12-06-2010, 09:35 PM
If money was not option, I would like to live on one of the Italian lakes.....but if we are getting a little more rational, then back to NYC or London (both places DH could work).

bubbaray
12-06-2010, 09:36 PM
Savannah's the only other place in the world I've ever been that felt like home. I can't explain it, I think I must have lived there in a former life.

I totally get this feeling -- I feel the same way about the Tuscany region in Italy. It was home.

karstmama
12-06-2010, 09:43 PM
north florida, a bit north of gainesville. cave country! i love to cave dive.

MontrealMum
12-06-2010, 09:47 PM
I'd love to move back to the midwest. Preferably to my hometown, which I saw mentioned upthread :) I'd rather be in a smaller city now that we have DS, the significantly lower COL would be great, and it'd be nice to have my family nearby. Unfortunately, unemployment is higher there than any other state, except maybe CA.

Other choices for me would be northern VT, or Ottawa.

jent
12-06-2010, 09:49 PM
Well, I just found out I'll be relocating to an area I've been hoping to live for a while: Boston! (In fact, I was just about to post questions about moving there.) I like the city, and it has the highest concentration of family/close friends (I grew up in NJ, but both my sister & several close friends have relocated to the Boston area).

Other places that I've dreamed about-- eg, San Francisco-- don't really hold a pull for me, b/c when it comes down to it, they would be far away from my & DH's family, so no matter how cool the area itself was, we would miss them.

One place that I would totally live in if we could find jobs there is DH's hometown of Ithaca, NY. I often kid DH that he grew up in Utopia and it's spoiled him for anywhere else. At least we can visit the IL's once a year.

♥ms.pacman♥
12-06-2010, 09:50 PM
i'd give anything to live in Japan again, for a few years this time. i loved it there.

Clarity
12-06-2010, 10:07 PM
I've always wanted to move to the MD/VA/DC area but my MIL lives there so that's out. ;) I've never been, but I like the thought of Colorado, the Boulder area perhaps? Or, when I daydream about warmer weather, I think Savannah, Georgia or Asheville, NC. (I read upthread and see that Savannah is a popular choice!) I want a walkable city with things going on and a bit of scenery, I'm not picky what kind.

swissair81
12-06-2010, 10:17 PM
Grew up in the Detroit area & wouldn't live anywhere else in the US. If we did move, it would either be to Jerusalem or Zurich. Preferably the former. Israel doesn't just feel like home, it is home.

resipsaloquitur
12-06-2010, 10:21 PM
I lived in Portland for ten years. As wonderful as those of you here think it would be to live there... it's better. I can't believe I ever left. It's like a mini Boston, with a dash of NYC and Denver thrown in, but with milder weather and a lower COL.

So if we are dreaming... back to Portland, with enough money left over for my own private island in the Carib.

StantonHyde
12-06-2010, 10:27 PM
I relocated to be here and have lived in many places. I love it here!!

scriptkitten
12-06-2010, 10:29 PM
i want to move back to NYC

scrooks
12-06-2010, 10:34 PM
I really like where we live in Ohio and wouldn't want to leave...unfortunately there is a very very good chance we will have to move to Charlotte, NC. I'm sure tons of people in my position would wonder why I wouldn't love to move the NC but I :heartbeat: Ohio...I have lived 29 of my almost 35 years here...it's home. I will have a very tough time leaving if it comes to it....

vludmilla
12-06-2010, 10:34 PM
I like where I live and don't want to relocate! I live in a close suburb of NYC and it is wonderful. I don't love the cost of living which is astronomical but other than that, this is the place for me. In a fantasy life though, I'd live on Maui.

purpleeyes
12-06-2010, 10:45 PM

:yeahthat:

It's my current favorite pipe dream. The grass is always greener and all that...

MoJo
12-06-2010, 11:35 PM
And I'm the one in Ohio dreaming of Charlotte . . . because my sister is there and because it's not too far from Asheville or Cape Hatteras.

(I'm sure we'd like Ohio more if we had family here, or if our closest connections weren't in other counties.)

hellokitty
12-06-2010, 11:57 PM
And I'm the one in Ohio dreaming of Charlotte . . . because my sister is there and because it's not too far from Asheville or Cape Hatteras.

(I'm sure we'd like Ohio more if we had family here, or if our closest connections weren't in other counties.)

Lol, I'm in ohio and wouldn't mind charlotte. Bil and sil live there and my brother is in RTP. I want to get out of ohio to get away from my parents and in laws. We moved closer to start our family here, only to realize how uninvolved both sets of grandparents have been.

vdrake71
12-07-2010, 12:01 AM
My husband recently told me that if we had no kids that he would try to get us relocated to Australia. We went there for our honeymoon and I did not realize that it made such an impact on him.

WatchingThemGrow
12-07-2010, 12:15 AM
I really like where we are in RTP, but I'd love to relocate to a house with a garage and enough space for our family and extended family visitors. Beach, mtns, relatives, seasons, good enough shopping, proximity to stuff...It's all good, but I wish Steamboat, CO was closer to us!

MamaMolly
12-07-2010, 12:22 AM
Lordy mercy, I'm ready to head back to the good old USA. We are supposed to find out where we are going some time after the new year, and I just want to KNOW already.

But to be perfectly honest, I don't like the dark, cold winters like we experienced in the Chicago area. I get seasonal affective disorder I guess. :shrug: So somewhere warm in the USA. Don't ask for much, do I? ;)

smilequeen
12-07-2010, 12:46 AM
I have no interest in moving again. We are really happy where we are :)

However, we toss around the idea of moving to Hong Kong for a year or so (DH grew up there) and getting a place in Toronto near my ILs to spend summers there. Neither is very realistic wrt DH's work though :)

mom_hanna
12-07-2010, 01:41 AM
Lived in Florence, would love to move back there or Siena. Southern Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Australia. Have lived in Portland and Seattle and would return to the PNW in a heartbeat. We're hoping to realize one of these dreams for dh's sabbatical if nothing else.

citymama
12-07-2010, 01:44 AM
Hanelei in Kauai!!!

Or just a really nice spacious home in the same city and neighborhood I live in. We love where we are; we just need more space. More sunshine would be nice too!

elephantmeg
12-07-2010, 01:53 AM
somewhere slightly bigger, more urban maybe? I do love our acre of country land though...
What would be like Chicago but with better weather?

cairo06
12-07-2010, 04:55 AM
At this point I'd settle for anywhere in the continental U.S., but if I could pick it would have to be somewhere with lots of sunshine, but not excessive heat. I don't mind cold or snow, but I have to have blue skies. I'm tired of living in a grey world and unpredictable summers. Grew up in north Florida, so not really keen on the hot humid weather. DH did some graduate work in Boulder and I visited him a few times. He loved it there. Maybe I need to start planning for retirement.

graciebellesmomma
12-07-2010, 05:32 AM
Not sure.

Seitvonzu
12-07-2010, 09:49 AM
i was so happy to read the texas (well, mostly austin) love up this thread :) we're trying to relocate to texas -- i'm a native and miss it just about everyday (except when doing things that aren't available in texas like picking berries and chopping a christmas tree-- mostly "farmy things") we live in semi-suburban/semi-rural maryland currently.

boolady
12-07-2010, 10:20 AM
Charlottesville, VA
the Berkshires
greater Portland, ME
greater Washington, DC
I'm not a huge warm weather/beach person, but we do love Hilton Head, SC

mezzona
12-07-2010, 01:31 PM
hawaii or somewhere in europe. i havent been anywhere in europe myself but my DH has and he absolutely loves it there

alirebco
12-07-2010, 03:46 PM
We're in the DC area now and are ok with it.

Places I'd love to be:
Portland, OR
Northern or Southern CA - but we would need $$$ to afford a house there
Asheville, NC - love the feel of these small towns but worry there's no big city close by since we're used to having certain things near us
Stone Harbor, NJ - for a summer vacation home :)
Austin, TX - if it wasn't so freakin hot in the summer!

Kindra178
12-07-2010, 05:01 PM
SF or DC. SF because it is my fav city in the whole world and DC because I would be back on the East Coast and would be able to drive to see my family. Also, you are driving distance to so many vacation areas.

Interesting above about Zurich. I spent so much time for there work pre-kids. Gorgeous city but it is quiet.

SoloMelody
12-07-2010, 05:41 PM
Seattle. :heartbeat:

I love Seattle too! Dont want to leave, but eventually I know DH and I will have to move as his career can grow only in the bay area....

Portland would be my next choice....

tribe pride
12-07-2010, 06:16 PM
Williamsburg, VA. No question. Living downtown within walking distance of Colonial Williamsburg is probably my dream. It is a charming, walkable, family-friendly place, and ideal for a history buff like myself. I went to college there and still have good friends who live in town, so we would have great community. And I love the location and weather- only 1 hour from the beach, and 2 1/2 hours from DC, and mild winters, and gorgeous springs and falls (summer is pretty hot, though). Unfortunately there is no place for DH to work there, so I have to console myself with occasional visits. I'd move in a heartbeat.

daisymommy
12-07-2010, 06:57 PM
I dream of moving to Austin Texas. I think I would finally feel like I was "home" :)

resipsaloquitur
12-07-2010, 09:09 PM
I'm loving this thread but it makes me a little sad. Remember when you were little and assumed as a grown up you could go live where ever you wanted?

codex57
12-07-2010, 09:15 PM
Not sure I could handle the humidity
and heat, so I'd go back to Maui when it got to hot to handle.
In a perfect world.

Yikes!

Consider San Diego or Newport Beach, cuz as an apparently wimpy SoCaler, I think Hawaii is hot and humid. Hawaii (not Honolulu) has prettier water than SoCal, but the weather is a LOT crappier IMO. Yes, I said Hawaii has crappy weather.

lizzywednesday
12-07-2010, 09:38 PM
The only place I'd consider moving is my hometown in northern NJ.

I'm sure other places in this great country are just as nice, but nowhere else feels as much like "home" as my hometown does to me.

Of course, it would take a LOT of convincing for DH. He thinks where I grew up is the boonies because we don't have a traffic light. Or sidewalks. Or streetlights.

I've been going up weekly since October and I get really homesick that I have to drive home the same night.