PDA

View Full Version : Did you have a 40th Birthday Party??

Corie
12-06-2010, 05:47 PM
Did you have a 40th Birthday Party?? and what did you do??

My 40th birthday is in a few months. I'm thinking about having a party!
I haven't had a birthday party since elementary school.

My husband suggested that we rent out the roller skating rink and I can
have a roller skating party. (Love his idea!!)
He is going to call and see if we can get the place to ourselves. I don't want
my party on an "Open Skate" night.

Or I could have a big party here at the house.

Or ????

Any other suggestions???

happymom
12-06-2010, 06:18 PM
I'm not 40 yet, and haven't had an actual birthday party in years either, but I think its a great idea! IMO, the roller skating rink sounds fabulous. Having it in your house would just mean work for you. If the rink doesn't work out, I'd look for another place outside your home.

Happy Birthday and have a great time :)

MelissaTC
12-06-2010, 06:23 PM
My BFF was given a surprise party Saturday night at a club. It was fabulous. We danced for hours and had the place to ourselves. It was awesome. I see myself in Vegas with my peeps.

Corie
12-06-2010, 10:15 PM
My BFF was given a surprise party Saturday night at a club. It was fabulous. We danced for hours and had the place to ourselves.

This was another idea that DH had.

Twoboos
12-06-2010, 10:22 PM
SIL just turned 40, and her Dh just sent her on a night out on the town with her friends complete with limo. Not a proper party, but they were certainly partying, lol.

Dd went to a birthday party this weekend at a bowling place. It had automated scoring, giant screen tvs, top 40music. They do adult parties too, I think in a private room and bar. It seemed really fun and i have actually filed this away for when my 40th comes around.

But Corie the roller rink seems like just your thing!!

StantonHyde
12-06-2010, 10:31 PM
Go for it!! I was pg with DD on my 40th!! I guess I will have to wait till the 50th!!

I would go to Canyon Ranch spa--by myself or with BFFs.

But the roller rink idea actually sounds fun!!

kbud
12-06-2010, 11:52 PM
I turned 40 this year. No party but I did do a girls weekend with a few other friends who turned 40 this year and my sister in Vegas. It was great. We all left the kids home with the dads and drank, ate, talked, slept, and took as long as we wanted getting ready. For me it was waaaay better than a party.

WatchingThemGrow
12-07-2010, 12:24 AM
Can I come to your roller skating party???? How freaking fun!!! I had a party for my 40th this past summer. We rented a double campsite and invited all our friends to come out to swim, kayak, eat, go on a boat ride, etc. Loved it! Roller skating would be so much fun!

kijip
12-07-2010, 12:54 AM
I roller skate regularly, training for derby:boogie:, and it is a ton of fun, especially for a party. We rented a rink for my birthday, best thing ever. So that is my vote.

graciebellesmomma
12-07-2010, 02:54 AM
I turned 40, five years ago. Our house is just a couple of miles from a beautiful campground on the lake. My dear husband reserved 5 campsites six months before, as a surprise to me (you have to book them early, or you won't get them!). We had a bunch of friends and family come up and spend the long weekend camping and tooling around Lake Tahoe. It was fantastic and very memorable. My birthday is always Labor Day weekend, so we even got a fireworks show! (they do a second fireworks show for the locals who leave the lake to all the crazies who come up for the 4th of July.)

I say do something fantastic! The roller skating idea sounds like a blast. I'd "totally" do a 80's theme! Roller Disco, baby!

mytwosons
12-07-2010, 07:41 AM
I'm considering renting out one of those bounce house places.

MoJo
12-07-2010, 07:49 AM
I was just thinking about this yesterday, which was my very underwhelming 38th birthday. The roads were too bad to do the shopping I wanted, and DH chose pizza for lunch. . . but I can't eat cheese or tomato due to Ha, and pizza crust was not my idea of an enjoyable lunch. So if you get a chance to do ANYTHING special, definitely do it!

I think the roller rink sounds fun, and I don't even skate. The idea of a dance place would be more my style.

Kudos to your DH for being willing to work on this for you! Have fun, and have a GREAT birthday!

Corie
12-07-2010, 09:59 AM
I'm considering renting out one of those bounce house places.

I told my good friend that I was thinking about having it at a bounce house
place but only if everyone was drunk and naked. ;) LOL!!!

dogmom
12-07-2010, 11:03 AM
I'm too old to rememer. ;)

WatchingThemGrow
12-07-2010, 11:25 AM
Didn't most of us who are 40 GROW UP at the skating rink? Or was that just me and my BFF since I lived across the road from the megaplex entertainment center?

sadie427
12-07-2010, 11:33 AM
Roller rink sounds great! Can you get a caterer to come, too? So you can have great food! My fortieth is coming up too, have a great party!

billysmommy
12-07-2010, 11:39 AM
The roller rink sounds fun!!!

The laser tag place we had Ds1's birthday at last year does adult parties. They said that most of the adults rent a bus, go out for dinner/drinks and then come play laser tag. We're thinking of doing that for DH's 40th in a couple years :)

Roni
12-07-2010, 12:36 PM
Poor DH threw a surprise party for me at our house. DD2 has the same b-day as me, so when her party was winding down, my sister got me out of the house so they could transition to my party. My friend's dh did the same thing, although we all just showed up at her house on cue (she also has a dd w/ her birthday). I had dh's party at a restaurant. I rented out the function room.

boolady
12-07-2010, 12:41 PM
I'm not 40 yet, but I did have a relatively small surprise party for DH-- about 25 friends and family members. It was a lot of fun-- it was at a local restaurant that has a great small private room. He was surprised and really happy, so that made it a success.

hellbennt
12-07-2010, 10:22 PM
roller skating sounds fun!
but you can't drink:ROTFLMAO:

both dh & I had a 40th party (he's one yr older than I, so one feb 09 & one may '10)
at our favorite local (dive) bar;
for his, we got our friend's pink floyd cover band to play,
we had (a limited) open bar (guests had drink tickets) and food

for mine, it was a different band (still friends playing), wrist bands instead of tickets (for open bar access) and food

it was FUN!

maestramommy
12-07-2010, 10:47 PM
I didn't. Dh and I went out to a special dinner to celebrate our bdays, like we usually do. But I didn't think about having a party. I was new in town, and wouldn't have had enough friends to hold a party anyways.

But a friend of mine did. Invited a bunch of girlfriends out to dinner. Pretty low key, but fun! Sorta girls night out.