PDA

View Full Version : Cloudy film on glasses

mommytotwo
12-06-2010, 10:26 PM
We have been using Cascade or Cascade Complete powder dish detergent in our dishwashwer for years. About a month ago, our glasses started getting funky with a cloudy film on them. If I washed them by hand, the film would either go away or at least improve considerably.

I know that the enzymes in detergents were going to be phased out. Could the film on the dishes be from that? I also tried "cleaning the dishwasher" and the dishes with Tang followed by Cascade, and that did help a little bit. Now if I use Cascade with Lemi Shine mixed in, the cloudiness is gone as well.

I'm not aware of any changes to the water in our home recently, so that's why I'm wondering if the detergent may have just changed. Has anyone else encountered this recently? Any suggestions for other dishwasher detergent that works effectively with somewhat hard water?

Thanks!

brittone2
12-06-2010, 10:44 PM
There was a recent thread on this. I think because the phosphates are being phased out, there is more build up now with some of the newer detergents. I haven't had this problem, but was looking up something appliance-related on the gardenweb site, and there was a discussion there. They suggestion was the Lemi shine/citric acid products used once a month or as needed. If that's working in some capacity when you use it, it sounds like maybe it is buildup?

I think in the thread on the BBB cascade was a brand that was causing people some problems? I use Ecover tabs or sometimes Finish tabs (electrosol) and they've been fine for us so far.

Maybe try something other than Cascade?

MamaMolly
12-07-2010, 12:54 AM
Well I was going to recommend Lemishine but it looks like you are already using it! We bought some to try in our nasty caked on calcium deposit dishwasher (we don't own this house!) and I have to say I'm amazed how well it works. I use it in every cycle which is expensive, but I'm hoping that once my dishwasher is clean then I won't have to use it so much.

elephantmeg
12-07-2010, 02:04 AM
we're having to use a little lemishine in every load..

happymom
12-07-2010, 02:12 AM
Do you use Jet Dry? I find it helps.

boltfam
12-07-2010, 04:27 PM
hijacking: where do you find Lemishine? I think we're in need.

mommytotwo
12-07-2010, 08:26 PM
Thank you everyone for the responses. Related to Jet Dry, we have been using it (and used it previously). Unfortunately, the film still shows up even with the Jet Dry.

Related to where to find Lemi Shine -- our local Target store carried it.

Thanks for the suggestion on Ecover. I will try to give that a try as well.

If others have suggestions, they will be greatly appeciated.

Thanks for your help!

boltfam
12-07-2010, 11:20 PM
:thanks:I'll pick some up next time I go to Target.

KrisM
12-07-2010, 11:44 PM
I soak my glasses maybe 3 times a year in a vinegar/water mix. Takes only 5 minutes or so per glass. I find it keeps the cloudiness away for quite a while. I don't really know why.

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
12-27-2010, 01:54 AM
Use Tang, one scoop per wash just sprinkle it in, smells like oranges! :) I use the Ecover tabs, and Tang.

Dcclerk
12-27-2010, 01:27 PM
I'm a total believer in the eco dishwashing detergent, rather tha Cascade. My dishes from my new dishwasher were disgusting with the Cascade, but both the BioKleen and the Ecover without anything else have generally been great. I was just going to try some eco rinse aid to see if it helps get the last bit of drips, but overall, they are radically better than Cascade for my dishwasher.

twowhat?
12-27-2010, 06:37 PM
I'm going to have to try BioKleen or Ecover:)