PDA

View Full Version : What can you tell me about Classical Education?

gatorsmom
12-07-2010, 12:57 AM
We are very seriously considering a school for the boys that teaches a "Classical" education. I've talked to several people about it now and everyone makes a point of saying how this schoool is different and that they have a "Classical" program. Well, I spent several hours talking to the teachers and principal and frankly it sounds a lot like the method our last school taught. There were some differences like more of an emphasis on repetition and memorization, but nothing that stood out to me. So, clearly I dont' understand the definition of "Classical." Can someone explain it?

Anyone have any opinions on it?

Smillow
12-07-2010, 01:12 AM
I don't have a definition for you, but The Well Trained Mind is a home schooling book/guide that promotes Classical Education.

Karenn
12-07-2010, 01:20 AM
It's very popular in Christian homeschooling circles. The Well Trained Mind is sort of the "definitive" Classical Education book. Here's a link from their website that explains it well.

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/classical-education/

There's a Classical school in my town that is pretty highly regarded. Personally, I'm not really a fan. I was put off by the emphasis on memorization and the learning of facts that seems to make up a great deal of the grammar stage. Also the school I visited starts teaching Latin as its foreign language when the children are really young. None of that stuff really fits with my own educational philosophy. A lot of people really like it though. My friends that have sent their kids to the classical school in our town can't stop talking about how great it is.

JTsMom
12-07-2010, 07:49 AM
I like the classical approach. I wouldn't really say we're truly using it at this point, since J is only 5 years old, but the way they lay education out makes a lot of sense to me, and I definitely incorporate a lot of the ideas from WTM into HS'ing.

The link above explains it far better than I could. I lurk on the WTM boards quite a bit, and there is a lot of good information there. Someone here rec'd this blog to me:
http://satorismiles.com/ . It might help to give you an idea of what a classical education can look like for a very young child.

egoldber
12-07-2010, 07:53 AM
I love the idea of the classical education. What would concern me about a school calling itself "classical" is often this can be code for....

lots of lengthy memorization
lots of copy work
lots of worksheets
lots of homework
rigidity of curriculum with no flexibility based on where an individual student is actually achieving

The main concern being these things done at a developmentally inappropriate level.

I would ask some very specific questions about these things.

Cuckoomamma
12-07-2010, 09:11 AM
You've already gotten a pretty good response from the others. On the positive side, the child is exposed to subjects that they aren't usually exposed to until the later years. History is done in a 4 year cycle, for example, and then repeated throughout the child's education 3 times.

A foreign language and an instrument are considered part of the curriculum. Many do choose Latin. That may or may not be what you value.

We do an eclectic version of classical for homeschooling. I really don't believe in pushing copywork or memorization which classical is really big on. Of course, the school may not be adapting this part of the classical approach, so it pays to ask.

I'd ask to see the texts, hear what a typical day's schedule consists of and what the curriculum is. Any approach can be great or disasterous, lol. It just depends on how it's done!

JTsMom
12-07-2010, 09:20 AM
I think Beth and Cuckoomamma make excellent points.

crl
12-07-2010, 10:47 AM
I know nothing about it. I'm not sure if you plan to keep your children in this school for the long term? If not, I would consider whether it might be difficult to transition back to a school that takes a different approach and perhaps teaches subjects in a different order.

Catherine

bubbaray
12-07-2010, 10:55 AM
I know nothing about it. I'm not sure if you plan to keep your children in this school for the long term? If not, I would consider whether it might be difficult to transition back to a school that takes a different approach and perhaps teaches subjects in a different order.

:yeahthat:

This is a temporary, not permanent, move, correct? I would stick with a more mainstream school so that you can easily transition back to your "home" school. JMHO.

gatorsmom
12-07-2010, 12:51 PM
These are all really good thoughts. We toured the school yesterday and were there several hours. The school was very forthcoming about everything the First grade class is studying. I sat down with the First grade teacher and went through all of their textbooks, discussed lessons, figured out where Gator compared with her class as far as reading skills, talked about their daily routine, etc. They only do about 20 minutes of homework per night according so he won't be overwhelmed. They are memorizing poems and prayers but by daily repetition incorporated into their daily routine. I"m fine with that, it's how I learned (and still remember) many poems and prayers. At this age they are learning Latin but only by learning common prayers in Latin and they are learning songs in Latin. So, nothing really intensive.

Yes, this is a temporary move for us. So, the only thing I'm really concerned about is that the transition back may not be so smooth after this. But, honestly, DH and I have discussed this and we really like this school. It is more inline with what we want for our kids than the last school. I feel Gator will be challenged more. There are only 8 kids in his class so he'll be able to make closer friends. I can't see how there could be any bullying or cliques in this small, tight-knit class. And their approach to religious education is exactly what I would want for my kids. It is absolutely lovely. I really want my kids to go to this school. The problem is, I really don't want them to go back to their OTHER school. I'm really stuck.

AnnieW625
12-07-2010, 01:33 PM
There are only 8 kids in his class so he'll be able to make closer friends. I can't see how there could be any bullying or cliques in this small, tight-knit class. And their approach to religious education is exactly what I would want for my kids. It is absolutely lovely. I really want my kids to go to this school. The problem is, I really don't want them to go back to their OTHER school. I'm really stuck.

See I think that the lack of kids in the class might be harder, and there might already be cliques that have formed, but if it is the ideal type of religious education for your family then you need to do it.

The problem is, I really don't want them to go back to their OTHER school. I'm really stuck.

So maybe I missed something, but you already moved, tried out one religious school, and don't like it?

JTsMom
12-07-2010, 01:59 PM
Is there a classical school near home that might work once you go back?

gatorsmom
12-07-2010, 02:07 PM
So maybe I missed something, but you already moved, tried out one religious school, and don't like it?

We just moved to my dad's home town and we are looking just now for a school. The school at home was fine, but I'm so impressed by this school (particularly their religious curriculum) that I might not want to move back home. :(

Is there a classical school near home that might work once you go back?

No, this one is not only Classical but devout Catholic. Back home, the closest Classical school is a pretty far drive for us with no bussing opportunities. And it's not Catholic which is really important for us. It's really the religious curriculum of this new school that I'm in love with. I like it SO MUCH MORE than what we attended at home.

bubbaray
12-07-2010, 02:13 PM
We just moved to my dad's home town and we are looking just now for a school. The school at home was fine, but I'm so impressed by this school (particularly their religious curriculum) that I might not want to move back home. :(

No, this one is not only Classical but devout Catholic. Back home, the closest Classical school is a pretty far drive for us with no bussing opportunities. And it's not Catholic which is really important for us. It's really the religious curriculum of this new school that I'm in love with. I like it SO MUCH MORE than what we attended at home.

So, when are you listing your house for sale? It sounds like you'll be staying in your dad's town!

Nu_mama
12-07-2010, 02:19 PM
I would say to send him there. As far as returning to the "old" school, you never know what the future holds for your family....who is to say that returning will even be on the radar? Good luck in your decision!

gatorsmom
12-07-2010, 02:36 PM
So, when are you listing your house for sale? It sounds like you'll be staying in your dad's town!

Oh, no, don't say that. Even DH has been hinting at that. He even started looking at real estate to move our company down here which is totally unrealistic. I mean, he can't move all the employees too. And the thing is, I feel claustrophobic in this little town. I grew up here and know it well but a little too well. It's a weird feeling being back here.