PDA

View Full Version : Alphabet refrigerator magnets for kids under 3?

TwoBees
12-07-2010, 09:25 AM
DD LOVES to play with the magnets on our fridge (including putting them in her mouth), but I'm concerned about the safety--small magnets, not kowing where they were made, etc. I'm looking for alphabet letter magnets that I can put on the fridge just for her, but all the set that I can find are not for kids under the age of 3 because of the small magnets. Are there any letter magnets out there that are large enough to be safe for a 13-month-old?

nrp
12-07-2010, 09:38 AM
DD LOVES to play with the magnets on our fridge (including putting them in her mouth), but I'm concerned about the safety--small magnets, not kowing where they were made, etc. I'm looking for alphabet letter magnets that I can put on the fridge just for her, but all the set that I can find are not for kids under the age of 3 because of the small magnets. Are there any letter magnets out there that are large enough to be safe for a 13-month-old?

The leapfrog fridge phonics sets come with non-exposed magnets. They are very good for that age. I think I saw a post that one of the sets is on sale at Amazon.

Here it is: http://www.amazon.com/LeapFrog-Fridge-Phonics-Magnetic-Alphabet/dp/B000096QNK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1291729111&sr=8-1

TwoBees
12-07-2010, 09:48 AM
Oh! Good to know. Amazon says not for kids under 3, but from your description it sounds like it might work. Thanks!

wimama
12-07-2010, 10:50 AM
We bought DS Fridge Phonics when he was a little about 22 months old. He loved them.

edurnemk
12-07-2010, 11:37 AM
We've had the Melissa and Doug Magnetic Alphabet letters since DS was about 19 months old. He loves them. Definitely impossible to swallow.

ETA: I just saw it has the choking hazard warning on Amazon, but for the life of me I don't understand which small parts they are talking about.
http://www.amazon.com/Melissa-Doug-Magnetic-Wooden-Alphabet/dp/B000IBPD76

One reviewer says they have lead... so probably not a good option for your DD, my DS never puts them in his mouth, though. Ugh, why are these even filed as "green toys"?

TwoBees
12-07-2010, 12:10 PM
We've had the Melissa and Doug Magnetic Alphabet letters since DS was about 19 months old. He loves them. Definitely impossible to swallow.

ETA: I just saw it has the choking hazard warning on Amazon, but for the life of me I don't understand which small parts they are talking about.
http://www.amazon.com/Melissa-Doug-Magnetic-Wooden-Alphabet/dp/B000IBPD76

One reviewer says they have lead... so probably not a good option for your DD, my DS never puts them in his mouth, though. Ugh, why are these even filed as "green toys"?

I thought the warning was because of the small magnets glued to the pback (I don't know if this is true for this set, but I've seen it with the plastic letters).

And lead? Ugh. No way. DD puts EVERYTHING in her mouth!

bubbaray
12-07-2010, 12:12 PM
THe issue with the magnets is if the magnets themselves are visible and therefore removable. The LF magnets are contained inside plastic, so not removable.

If a child ingests a magnet, they can require surgery to remove it.

TwoBees
12-07-2010, 01:20 PM
Okay, now I am really :angry-smiley-005: at Amazon. I was waiting until my lunch break to call diapers.com and have them (hopefully) pricematch the Amazon price for the Leap Frog set in the first post...and now Amazon has changed their price! It's only been a few hours!! :hopmad:

wendibird22
12-07-2010, 01:45 PM
We have the LF fridge phonics. DD1 received them as a gift around age 2. Currently DD1 (11mos) is fascinate with them and the fridge farm. She's constantly putting them in her mouth. They are large and as PP said, the magnet(s) housed within the plastic so no choking hazard...that I can tell.

elephantmeg
12-07-2010, 03:01 PM
leapfrog. DD has been playing with them for over a year now. They both love them. And it's great for word sound learning and the abc song!

edurnemk
12-07-2010, 03:18 PM
I thought the warning was because of the small magnets glued to the pback (I don't know if this is true for this set, but I've seen it with the plastic letters).

And lead? Ugh. No way. DD puts EVERYTHING in her mouth!

There's no small magnets glued to the back in the M&D letters, but I never would've thought they could have LEAD!