PDA

View Full Version : My Baby is allergic to the Christmas tree

Hawkeyewife
12-07-2010, 11:02 AM
We had a live tree last year and as a newborn DS3 didn't seem to have any ill effects, but this year whoa baby!!!

We got a live tree from Costco on Saturday afternoon. We went out Sat night and DH stayed home with DS2 and DS3 Sunday morning while I went to church with the big kids (the babies were just too tired from two nights out). Anyway, they stayed home all day. Yesterday morning, DS3 had a little swelling on one of his eyelids, but seemed fine, I thought maybe he scraped it on a toy or something. We ran errands and I noticed some spots on him before naptime and called his Ped (thought it might be chicken pox) and made an appointment for later in the afternoon. Baby woke up and both eyes were swollen, one of his hands too and spots all over his body. Ped gave him two shots of epi and we figured out it must be the tree! I cam home and dragged the thing onto the porch against DH's wishes (oh well) and DS3 looks way better today. I am hoping to return the thing to Costco today.

ThreeofUs
12-07-2010, 11:48 AM
So sorry you're going through this! FWIW, it might also be the particular pesticides, etc., they spray the tree with.... Another tree might not have the same effect.

artvandalay
12-07-2010, 11:56 AM
My husband's family could never get a real tree because he was allergic. But for some reason, I thought it had something to do with mold? I guess that doesn't quite sound right... I can ask him what exactly he was allergic to

crazydiamond
12-07-2010, 12:08 PM
Had somewhat similar issues.

I did some research and found that "White Pines" are considered the best for allergies and asthma. Difficult species to find, but I found a tree farm 1 hour away were we can cut down a fresh one every year. It does the trick.

Otherwise I was planning either placing a cut tree just outside our living room window each year - or planting one and decorating it outside.

Roni
12-07-2010, 12:16 PM
I'm so sorry. From what I understand about allergies, your DS woldn'thave had allegies last year, since it was his first exposure. So, it makes sense that they are showing up this year. I'm so sniffly and miserable every year when the tree is up. I'm lobbying for an artificial tree, but those can get dusty, so I'm not sure it would help.

crl
12-07-2010, 01:32 PM
The reaction to the real tree could be a pine allergy or mold. And WTF that your husband didn't want you to get it out of the house. If your kid needed an epi shot, that's serious and of course it has to go! I say that as someone who IS allergic to pine and gets a real tree anyway. But my symptoms are really minor.

Sorry your little one was so miserable.

Catherine

ThreeofUs
12-07-2010, 01:51 PM
I had completely forgotten about the mold problem! Here's something that might help:

Suggestions for minimizing potential problems with real trees:
· Cut your own tree or purchase local, fresh cut trees. If buying a pre-cut
tree, ask when and where it was cut and how it was stored. If the tree was held for any
period of time under moist conditions, saprophytic fungi (molds) can grow and colonize
the dead needles and other plant material that might be lodged in the tree. Therefore, if a
family member is sensitive to mold spores, it is best to avoid purchasing trees that are cut
and held.
· Shake the tree vigorously before bringing it into the home. This removes dead/loose
needles, pollen, and other potential allergens that may be on the tree. It also helps to
remove mites and other unwanted insects. Many Christmas tree farms have shakers
available for use on site.
· If possible, spray the tree with water from a garden hose and then let it thoroughly dry
before bringing inside. This helps to remove many unwanted, potential allergens.
· Limit the amount of time the fresh tree is in the house—this would reduce the time
members of the household are exposed potential allergens from the tree and the
decorations.

From: Mold Allergy and Live Christma s Trees. Presented at the Annual Meeting
of the American College of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology, Dallas, TX, 8-14 November 2007.

mmommy
12-08-2010, 12:01 AM
I have an allergy to pine, so we never have/had a real tree.

FWIW, as far as allergies go, it isn't such a bad allergy. The main problem will be pesto, which isn't that difficult to avoid or to get with walnuts...

but I am glad to hear you got the tree out of the house!

lablover
12-08-2010, 12:15 AM
I'm sorry! DD has a lot of environmental allergies/asthma and I think she had congestion, etc. from our Christmas trees (probably mold). Never could tell for sure but I made the decision to switch to artificial last year. It is sooo nice not to have to worry about it anymore and I have to say it is very nice popping up the prelit tree!

Hawkeyewife
12-17-2010, 01:15 PM
Just wanted to update. DS is MUCH better after a week of on and off again hives and swelling. The offending tree is safely on the front porch (looks pretty there actually) and our old (rotating) fake tree is in the living room. MERRY CHRISTMAS!

crl
12-17-2010, 01:15 PM
Just wanted to update. DS is MUCH better after a week of on and off again hives and swelling. The offending tree is safely on the front porch (looks pretty there actually) and our old (rotating) fake tree is in the living room. MERRY CHRISTMAS!

So glad!

Catherine

Cam&Clay
12-17-2010, 02:00 PM
I grew up with artificial trees because my mom was allergic to pine trees. She could be near them but not touch them. If she did, she broke out in hives all over.

MamaSnoo
12-17-2010, 02:47 PM
I am allergic to real trees as well. Both to the trees and to the Christmas tree mold that grows on the needles (kind of like bloom on grapes for wine). I remember quite a few misable Christmases as a little kid before we switched to artificial.

I do love real greenery, so I get a real wreath and garland for the front porch. I can enjoy the look in small doses without the allergy symptoms.

I got a new artificial this year for inside which is very realisitic and we are enjoying our holidays....you will too!

And I am so glad your DS is feeling better!

ThreeofUs
12-17-2010, 03:20 PM
Oh, that's great. So glad to hear your DS is better.