PDA

View Full Version : Kindle Users

khalloc
12-07-2010, 11:40 AM
I am getting a Kindle for Xmas from my parents. I was just going to get the $139 version. I mainly read at home, or on the beach on vacation. I dont ever bring a book anyplace else. Plus, I think I am getting an iPad at some point, so I'd be using that for any web browsing. And I am getting the Kindle because it seems better for reading. About 95% of my reading is done in bed at night. I have a light on my nightstand.

Do you NEED a cover for it? What about just getting a sleeve for if I ever take it anywhere?

Do you need a skin for better grip? Or can you easily hold a naked kindle? I imagine this will pretty much live on my nightstand. Except for vacations. Which are maybe 1 or 2 weeks a year.

Oh, will any of the booklights attach to the kindle without a cover? Or do you need to have one of the special covers that says it take a light? I imagine I might like a light so i dont have to have my nightstand lamp on...that sometimes bothers DH.

BabyBearsMom
12-07-2010, 11:52 AM
If you are getting an iPad, you can download the Kindle App and use it the same way. I have both (the Kindle is mine and the iPad is DH's in theory) but really they are redundent and we just have both because we have a sharing problem. If DH didn't have an iPad and it was just me, I would just get the iPad to use for reading and internet surfing. The ipad is slightly heavier, but you can read it with the lights off (eliminates need for book light).

If you decide you still want the Kindle, I don't think a case is a requirement. I have one just to keep it clean and protect it, but it isn't something you absolutely need. It isn't hard to hold on to IMO. I don't have the book light, I just use my kindle when the lights are on. If DH is asleep and I want to read, I sync my Kindle to the iPad and read on that.

traciann
12-07-2010, 12:07 PM
The difference with a kindle and an Ipad is the e-ink in the kindle. You can read with out getting eye strain. It truely is like reading a regular book.

I don't have a cover yet, and I like reading it without anything on it (skin, cover etc). Its comfortable to hold or I prop it up on a pillow alot while reading in bed. If you do travel I would get a cover. I bring mine with me alot and I really want a cover for it just to protect it in case it is ever dropped. I don't have a book light as I just use the nightstand light.

khalloc
12-07-2010, 12:09 PM
I wasnt sure i'd want to read on the ipad because its heavy and can strain your eyes. I've heard the kindle is great. Plus I'm sure kids will be begging to play with the iPad, then I can still have my kindle.

Sounds like I will just get a sleeve or something to slip it in when not in use.

BabyBearsMom
12-07-2010, 01:12 PM
I don't notice any eye strain on the iPad. Before I got my Kindle, I read some pretty lengthy books and would read for at least an hour at a time on the iPad without a problem.

Indianamom2
12-07-2010, 01:19 PM
I've only had my Kindle for a little over a week. With regards to a cover, I really like holding it "naked" (now there's a sentence that definitely needs some context!). If it only stayed at home, I might not bother with a cover, because it's comfortable to hold as is. However, I take mine with me, so I'm considering buying a cover...I need to pick one!

I actually prefer reading my Kindle in bed. I think it's much easier to hold while lying down. It's a very unique little device, but so far, I give it two thumbs up! (Oh and I love how it remembers your page each time you turn it on!)

As to your question about the booklight, I would think that you can just clip it on the Kindle. I don't see why not.

Enjoy!