PDA

View Full Version : For those wondering about strollers in Germany

fedoragirl
12-07-2010, 11:53 AM
I returned from our trip after observing tons of strollers in the freezing and snowy streets of Germany. Yeah, they literally looked like they weighed a ton. My little Cybex was dwarfed by these HUGE strollers. Mothers were pushing duos and singles around. There was no question about a stroller being too big. Most of them had carrycots or children facing them which I found interesting.
We went to a toy store and lot of moms left their strollers on the ground floor, and took the elevator to the other floors. Most times, I saw friends or grandmothers guarding the strollers.
We also met friends who have a 4 month son (they are German), and they told us that their stroller is so big and heavy that they leave it inside the entrance to their apt. building. They also said that most strollers in Germany were big. Our friend said he deliberated more about the "car" for his son than the actual car, meaning that the purchase was not cheap nor was the stroller light. :ROTFLMAO:
So, for all those moving or traveling to Germany, please take your biggest strollers with you. :D

jacksmoma
12-07-2010, 12:08 PM
so funny! wonder how they haul these things in their cars?!

roseyloxs
12-07-2010, 12:09 PM
Thanks!!! That is so very helpful. Now that I have sold my indie single I have second guessed my thought about selling the indie twin before moving to Germany. I think my new plan will be to bring my BJ switchback, the indie twin, and my new bugaboo bee. I haven't decided about the Topaz but I am thinking about just keeping that in Chicago so I can fly back home stroller-less.

Thanks again for the great info. :applause:

bubbaray
12-07-2010, 12:10 PM
so funny! wonder how they haul these things in their cars?!

For the most part, they don't. Germany is more of a walking place than the US. I defy anyone, in the US or Germany, to load up an Emma into their SUV on a regular basis. My back hurts just thinking about it!

fedoragirl
12-07-2010, 12:15 PM
Absolutely! Most people don't fold strollers in and out of cars. They also use a lot of public transportation so the strollers just go right in. By the way, take very warm footmuffs. Brrr! It was freezing everyday of our vacation. I am so glad I took DD's HA snowsuit. She wore it everyday along with the footmuff.

MamaBear
12-07-2010, 12:28 PM
All that.

My Cam looked tiny compared to the other strollers used where we in Germany. There was another Canadian family in our building and they used to just park their P3 in the lobby of the building. (We were on the main floor, so could roll right into our flat.)

My SIL has a minivan. When we all went on vacation, they had to leave the older kids' bikes behind because the (gorgeous!) Teutonia took up so much space.

Off-topic, but did you visit a Weihnachtsmarkt? I miss them so!

MamaBear
12-07-2010, 12:28 PM
Absolutely! Most people don't fold strollers in and out of cars. They also use a lot of public transportation so the strollers just go right in. By the way, take very warm footmuffs. Brrr! It was freezing everyday of our vacation. I am so glad I took DD's HA snowsuit. She wore it everyday along with the footmuff.

Oh, and there's usually a designated pram area on transit! Complete with a little pram graphic :yay:

jacksmoma
12-07-2010, 12:54 PM
wow, the us is so not stroller friendly for the most part!

BeccaB-D
12-07-2010, 01:04 PM
DH's parent's used to live in th UK, my MIL told me about the strollers she used to have.
And it made me curious about what's available overseas, and I like the look of the Teutonia here in the USA

I must say the Teutonia Elegance is gorgeous.
http://www.teutonia.de/en/products/elegance.html

And I would love this one for my boys (they would be able to face me)
http://www.teutonia.de/en/products/team-cosmo.html

The silver cross classic sleepover looks nice too
http://www.silvercross.co.uk/thumbnailgenerator.ashx?id=5098&width=480&height=450&method=LimitCentred&background=FFFFFFFF&corners=0&cornerradius=0&type=Jpeg&quality=80&h=8E54A38E12D5CEBC736E68BA6DA8CD7&units=Pixel

strollerqueen
12-07-2010, 01:15 PM
I returned from our trip after observing tons of strollers in the freezing and snowy streets of Germany. Yeah, they literally looked like they weighed a ton. My little Cybex was dwarfed by these HUGE strollers. Mothers were pushing duos and singles around. There was no question about a stroller being too big. Most of them had carrycots or children facing them which I found interesting.
We went to a toy store and lot of moms left their strollers on the ground floor, and took the elevator to the other floors. Most times, I saw friends or grandmothers guarding the strollers.
We also met friends who have a 4 month son (they are German), and they told us that their stroller is so big and heavy that they leave it inside the entrance to their apt. building. They also said that most strollers in Germany were big. Our friend said he deliberated more about the "car" for his son than the actual car, meaning that the purchase was not cheap nor was the stroller light. :ROTFLMAO:
So, for all those moving or traveling to Germany, please take your biggest strollers with you. :D

Yeah, around here you can always tell the German tourists. They take those giant prams to the beach! Which means they flew with them, all the way from Europe to SoCal. Cracks me up how stressed out we get deciding which stroller to travel with, go to the beach with, etc. and they just bring what they've got. :tongue5:

ged
12-07-2010, 01:39 PM
So, OP, do you think you are going to wait to buy a stroller in Germany, or buy something here? I have been kinda following some of your posts, as I am also moving to Germany, and am still undecided.

roseyloxs
12-07-2010, 02:26 PM
I think maybe you are talking to me even though I am not the OP of this particular thread. I just bought a bugaboo bee during the 20% off sale this weekend so I won't be buying any new strollers immediately but I am still open to something abroad.

I don't move until summer and I am thinking I will be taking 3 strollers with me, crossing my fingers I will find a place to store them all there. I will bring an indie twin, the bugaboo bee, and a BJ double jogger/bike trailer. We plan to hold of the TTC until we have a chance to travel a bit but I still plan to have a baby while I am there so maybe I'll buy something then.

What are your plans?

arivecchi
12-07-2010, 02:32 PM
Love it. I also love big strollers. They are just more fun. :)

It is a shame that we have such a driving culture in the US. Walking everywhere is so much nicer!

ged
12-07-2010, 03:04 PM
My plans...haha, I wish I could make up my mind!

I just typed up a long reply, but realized it was just too long... so I deleted it and I am going to start a separate thread. Please check it out :) I need help!

fedoragirl
12-07-2010, 05:12 PM
Yes I did visit the Weihnachtmarkt. It was so funny because most of the people there were American. :rotflmao: In fact, when I was shopping for toys for DD, I was musing aloud in English, and an American came right over and gave me several suggestions. She was pushing an orange BOB in a crowded 2nd floor toy store (near the Weihnachtsmarkt). I sure miss the gluwein now that it's freezing stateside.
ged, I am moving to Germany (that's been decided) and we are not a military family. I bought a MB Swift because I prefer that to the panzers that Germans push. I may not use my Cybex or Baby Jogger as much there, but we'll see. I definitely want to get a rear facing stroller there because even at 10 months, DD loves facing me.
We have already taken our Cybex Callisto there and used it. I don't recommend it for the cobbled streets but we made do. I think the BJCM will be fine for IKEA trips etc. But I will probably use the MB Swift most of the time.
If you have a lot of strollers and can't decide what to take, sell them here, and buy something there. Munich is a huge city with tons of bay stores. Also, you might like things there that you haven't been exposed to here.
Also, you mentioned you had an Ergo. I used that exclusively in the airport and everything was a breeze. It was painful to see others wrestle with their strollers in a very crowded airport. In fact, I could have done with an Ergo for this entire trip (2 weeks). We just took our Cybex because we could, and also because we're moving there in 6 months anyway.
All the best with whatever you decide.

sweetsoul99
12-09-2010, 08:45 AM
I think maybe you are talking to me even though I am not the OP of this particular thread. I just bought a bugaboo bee during the 20% off sale this weekend so I won't be buying any new strollers immediately but I am still open to something abroad.

I don't move until summer and I am thinking I will be taking 3 strollers with me, crossing my fingers I will find a place to store them all there. I will bring an indie twin, the bugaboo bee, and a BJ double jogger/bike trailer. We plan to hold of the TTC until we have a chance to travel a bit but I still plan to have a baby while I am there so maybe I'll buy something then.

What are your plans?

Ohhh, where did you get it at 20% off? (or am I totally missing the obvious since I haven't been on the board in a while?)