PDA

View Full Version : Help me decide

arivecchi
12-07-2010, 02:10 PM
which one to keep for my Duo.

7 am enfant duo or valco footmuffs?

http://picasaweb.google.com/LPMomChitown/7AmEnfant?authkey=Gv1sRgCO-Xkpf3zPC0zgE#

The 7 am enfant duo is not attached properly because taking the Valco footmuffs off would be a major project......

WatchingThemGrow
12-07-2010, 02:12 PM
which one has easier zippers? price?

arivecchi
12-07-2010, 02:18 PM
7am enfant

pros: longer (better for tall DS1), zipper in the center so easy to unload and load the kids, cleaner looking?, won't have to deal with shifting footmuffs, easier to attach and detach as you don't have to remove the harnesses, dirty feet stay in metal footwell

cons: not closed in the bottom (it attaches to the stroller so it is basically a heavy warm blanket) - will it be colder for them?, looks too big on stroller?

Valco footmuffs

pros: super warm, completely closed on bottom and sides, you can completely remove top layer and just use the liner, has reflective edges for night use

cons: DS1 has less coverage, they look a bit messy on the Duo (looked better on the old BJCCD), they shift when loading/unloading kids

I would likely sell the Valco footmuffs if I keep the 7am.

roseyloxs
12-07-2010, 02:41 PM
Tough call. I am loving your Valcos on the duo. The clean reflective lines look so nice. However shifting muffs are so annoying.

For ease of use alone I vote for the 7am enfant. Hopefully once you remove the Valco muffs the enfant will fit better.

Kaylee31
12-07-2010, 03:12 PM
Tough call. I am loving your Valcos on the duo. The clean reflective lines look so nice. However shifting muffs are so annoying.

For ease of use alone I vote for the 7am enfant. Hopefully once you remove the Valco muffs the enfant will fit better.

:yeahthat: I prefer the look of the Valcos, but reading the details, I would go with the 7AM for better coverage for your DSs, no shifting, and the ease of the one zipper.

swissair81
12-07-2010, 04:11 PM
7AM. Hands down.

arivecchi
12-07-2010, 04:18 PM
I was just discussing this with our nanny. She is worried that cold drafts of air would come into the blanket through the bottom and sides and that a strong gust of air may blow up the blanket.

Scriptkitten, any real life feedback for me? Are your twins toasty in it? Do you think it would work in really cold temps (below 20)? Does the blanket ever get shifted around by the wind? TIA! It fits so much nicer in the Duallie so I am not sure what to think!

poohbear
12-07-2010, 04:24 PM
I'm confused. I thought the enfants looked like sleeping bags.... Are they just over-blankets?
I like the idea of the no sliding around (this has been driving me bonkers lately), but I can see your nanny's concern...
As usual, I am of no help...

arivecchi
12-07-2010, 04:35 PM
The Duo is just a very thick nice blanket - almost like a mini down-comforter, but it is not a footmuff. And that's not true poohbear, you are always helpful. :)

tmahanes
12-07-2010, 04:55 PM
I think the 7am one would be cleaner but I think your nanny is probably right about the wind around the sides of that one though.... So I guess the valco ones

arivecchi
12-07-2010, 05:05 PM
Now the hubby says the 7am one! Arghhhhhhhhh! :banghead:

tmahanes
12-07-2010, 05:12 PM
I guess you could switch them and take the stroller outside and see if air gets under it! :wink2: probably not what you wanted to hear right??

roseyloxs
12-07-2010, 05:46 PM
I was just discussing this with our nanny. She is worried that cold drafts of air would come into the blanket through the bottom and sides and that a strong gust of air may blow up the blanket.

Scriptkitten, any real life feedback for me? Are your twins toasty in it? Do you think it would work in really cold temps (below 20)? Does the blanket ever get shifted around by the wind? TIA! It fits so much nicer in the Duallie so I am not sure what to think!

Are there any ties on the side of the blanket. Why is there a zipper down the front if nothing keeps the blanket on anyway? DS1's boot should be in the bottom of the blanket so that should weigh the bottom down nicely.

I think the 7am should work great. I don't think you kids will get cold and I don't think it should be all that breezy under the blanket. If it is an extra breezy day you can just try and tuck some of the sides under their bums. If a breeze or two does make its way in they should be fine, its not like they are naked under there.

arivecchi
12-07-2010, 05:52 PM
There are 3 ties on the top of the blanket and a pull-cord on the bottom. I think I just have to suck it up and remove the Valco footmuffs to try out the 7am.

scriptkitten
12-07-2010, 05:59 PM
i gotta go get my kids from their nap….

but i think the kids are warm enough. i had two strangers comment on the street today about how warm they looked. i have bob warm fuzzy liners in the seats. i don't think i'd brave the winter with JUST a top blanket. i'd want something warm and cozy under them as well.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5205/5240915693_71b96d7414.jpg

momtoax3
12-07-2010, 06:02 PM
Oh, I thought the Duo was more footmuff/sleeping bag-esque.

Is the MB Duo's fabric breathable? If so, I would think cold would get in through that and make their backsides cold???

arivecchi
12-07-2010, 06:03 PM
Ok. That pic is super helpful. They do look super cozy in it. I am removing the footmuffs tonight, attaching the 7am and putting the kids in it. There is no way around that I think. I will report back later tonight or tomorrow. Thanks for the feedback everyone!

arivecchi
12-07-2010, 06:05 PM
Oh, I thought the Duo was more footmuff/sleeping bag-esque.

Is the MB Duo's fabric breathable? If so, I would think cold would get in through that and make their backsides cold??? I do have an MB liner and a Mac fleece liner so I could also use those with the 7am. ;) I think I will just try it out tonight and see.

scriptkitten
12-07-2010, 06:15 PM
so…

its been in the 30s and windy here all week. today was particularly windy.

the 7AM didn't blow around AT ALL. it stayed in place. wind would have to come from underground to get around the sides of it… that's how the install works on the BOB, anyway. it completely wraps the frame.

i know its a pain but i really think you should take off the valcos and try it for real!

arivecchi
12-07-2010, 06:20 PM
I will. I think DS1 would have a lot more coverage and legroom.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_jTwukNHSd64/TP2sHqPNilI/AAAAAAAACFM/g3SCfcsMFao/IMG_4698B.png.jpg
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_jTwukNHSd64/TP2sH1oW_QI/AAAAAAAACFQ/wq-GHRIBZJo/IMG_4705B.png.jpg

goldenpig
12-07-2010, 06:35 PM
Where did you get it? I can't find any on sale.

liamsmom
12-07-2010, 06:38 PM
I will. I think DS1 would have a lot more coverage and legroom.

I would think so too. My DS is 31" and he likes squirming his legs around in his footmuff; he looks like he's trying to jump in a potato sack race. I'm surprised your nearly 4-year-old hasn't complained.

My vote is for the enfant.

arivecchi
12-07-2010, 06:44 PM
Where did you get it? I can't find any on sale.Galt Baby here in Chicago.

arivecchi
12-07-2010, 06:45 PM
I would think so too. My DS is 31" and he likes squirming his legs around in his footmuff; he looks like he's trying to jump in a potato sack race. LOL!
DS1 just turned four last week! :yay:

goldenpig
12-07-2010, 06:48 PM
I found it for 10% off at Mystrollers...is there anything better?
Happy birthday to your DS, Arivecchi! :cheerleader1:

arivecchi
12-07-2010, 06:50 PM
How much is it at mystrollers? The cheapest I found it online was $139. Thanks for the bday wishes!

goldenpig
12-07-2010, 07:19 PM
How much is it at mystrollers? The cheapest I found it online was $139. Thanks for the bday wishes!

Yeah, it was $139 but there was a 10% off code so $125.10. How much did you get it for?

elektra
12-07-2010, 07:24 PM
Let us know how it ends up fitting. I would say keep it, based on your DS fitting better in it, and also based on scriptkitten's first hand experience.

purpelina
12-07-2010, 07:58 PM
I would keep the 7 am blanket. It's easier to put kids in and out, and is very warm. It might look slightly less sharp than the valcos, but is great fit otherwise.

arivecchi
12-07-2010, 08:21 PM
Thanks purpelina. I am excited to go home tonight and really give it a try.

Goldenpig, I got it for $129 plus tax here in Chicago. I wanted to try it out IRL and Amazon did not have the black one so I would have had to pay return shipping plus re-stocking fees elsewhere.

poohbear
12-07-2010, 09:38 PM
I really like how it looks on the BOB. I think the idea of the fleecy liners with that is a good idea - definitely looks warm and toasty and will give more coverage for both DSs...

goldenpig
12-07-2010, 10:05 PM
Thanks purpelina. I am excited to go home tonight and really give it a try.

Goldenpig, I got it for $129 plus tax here in Chicago. I wanted to try it out IRL and Amazon did not have the black one so I would have had to pay return shipping plus re-stocking fees elsewhere.

A Duo for your Duo! :bighand: Post more pics when you try it by itself!

I went ahead and bit the bullet. Mystrollers.com, 10% off $139 with code HOLIDAY so $125 and signed up for Big Crumbs to hopefully get 5.6% CB (don't know anything about it, but I couldn't go through ebates so I'll give it a try).

I'm not sure if I'll get any fleece linings...it doesn't get that cold around here. Plus I usually end up carrying DS in the Ergo anyway...I wish he didn't hate being in the stroller so much!

It seems a little expensive for a stroller blanket, but if Arivecchi bought one at nearly full price then I feel OK getting one too...thanks for enabling. :rotflmao: Plus, I'm feeling flush with cash b/c I sold the Joovy a couple weeks ago and just sold my BJCMD and the two Bundle Me Toddlers today. Only made $20 on the BJCMD but I didn't get any other nibbles and I didn't want to deal with the hassle of shipping it back to diapers. Kinda feeling a twinge of regret about getting rid of the BJCMD, but buying a new stroller accessory should help me get over it, right? The Duo is so nice, it will be so hard for me to let go of, but there's really no reason to keep two AT doubles, is there. Any thoughts on CL pricing a Duo with carrycot & raincover?

poohbear
12-08-2010, 11:07 AM
A Duo for your Duo! :bighand: Post more pics when you try it by itself!

I went ahead and bit the bullet. Mystrollers.com, 10% off $139 with code HOLIDAY so $125 and signed up for Big Crumbs to hopefully get 5.6% CB (don't know anything about it, but I couldn't go through ebates so I'll give it a try).

I'm not sure if I'll get any fleece linings...it doesn't get that cold around here. Plus I usually end up carrying DS in the Ergo anyway...I wish he didn't hate being in the stroller so much!

It seems a little expensive for a stroller blanket, but if Arivecchi bought one at nearly full price then I feel OK getting one too...thanks for enabling. :rotflmao: Plus, I'm feeling flush with cash b/c I sold the Joovy a couple weeks ago and just sold my BJCMD and the two Bundle Me Toddlers today. Only made $20 on the BJCMD but I didn't get any other nibbles and I didn't want to deal with the hassle of shipping it back to diapers. Kinda feeling a twinge of regret about getting rid of the BJCMD, but buying a new stroller accessory should help me get over it, right? The Duo is so nice, it will be so hard for me to let go of, but there's really no reason to keep two AT doubles, is there. Any thoughts on CL pricing a Duo with carrycot & raincover?

Hmmm...The duo may be hard to arbitrage, especially since it's not NIB - you may want to try swap or strollerista for what you paid (or a little less depending on how much you used it) first. On our CL which I consider to be good, we just had a NIB 2010 Duo (said it was a floor model though) up for $400 - it was up for about a week. Most of the mountain buggy doubles (not Duos) go for about $225-350.... So, I don't think you'll lose money, but it may be hard to make much. I could be wrong though.
I think making $20 on the BJCMD since it was not NIB is pretty good BTW!

arivecchi
12-08-2010, 12:08 PM
Goldenpig, what is the full retail price of your Duo, carrycot and storm cover?

goldenpig
12-08-2010, 12:35 PM
Goldenpig, what is the full retail price of your Duo, carrycot and storm cover?

It's $890 retail.

arivecchi
12-08-2010, 01:01 PM
I would list the whole thing at $650 on CL and hope to get at least $600. Anyone who actually knows the value of the whole package will snap it up. Make sure to post links to the retail price and nice pics of the stroller and accessories. Also, make sure you mention similar doubles in your ad, as in the Duo is smaller than _____, ____ and _______ so that any searches for those doubles turn up your ad as well.

goldenpig
12-08-2010, 01:14 PM
I would list the whole thing at $650 on CL and hope to get at least $600. Anyone who actually knows the value of the whole package will snap it up. Make sure to post links to the retail price and nice pics of the stroller and accessories. Also, make sure you mention similar doubles in your ad, as in the Duo is smaller than _____, ____ and _______ so that any searches for those doubles turn up your ad as well.

That is what I was thinking for pricing too. Thanks for the advice!

arivecchi
12-08-2010, 02:16 PM
Good luck.

On the footmuff front, I was too tired to do the switch last night but will hopefully try today.

poohbear
12-08-2010, 03:16 PM

I forgot about the carrycot - that really was a good deal! Good points about adding in comparable prices and the links :)

arivecchi
12-10-2010, 11:17 AM
Ok, so I actually went through the huge PITA of removing the Valco footmuffs and properly attaching the 7am enfant duo on my Duo. :tongue5:

What do you all think?

This is the first of the new pics I added to the album:

http://picasaweb.google.com/LPMomChitown/7AmEnfant?authkey=Gv1sRgCO-Xkpf3zPC0zgE#5549058136807605986

Multimama
12-10-2010, 12:31 PM
It looks great! But maybe it's one of those things you can't capture in pictures. What do you and the kids think?

I can't believe that there is a 4 page thread about whether you should use a Valco or 7AM Enfant footmuff. Only on this board! :)

ETA: Now 5 pages! LOL.

arivecchi
12-10-2010, 12:41 PM
Five pages? I only have two in my view. I guess I must have different settings. :)

Anyhoo, here's where we stand:

DS1: LOVES the 7am. He immediately snuggled up inside and said it is very 'cozy". He has a ton more legroom and it goes up to his face. I placed two liners on the seats (a MB lambswool one and a Maclaren fleece black in black) and he said the MB one was his. LOL.

DH: Likes the look of the Valco ones better but thinks the 7am is better overall because it is so much roomier and the kids can still bother each other. :ROTFLMAO:

Arivecchi: I am leaning towards the 7am. I think it looks better now that I tightened it around the frame and getting this kids in and out is a breeze. I like that DS1 has a lot more room. The Valco ones looked more streamlined IMO and it does not look as nice as it does on scriptkitten's Bob Duallie but I think overall it is an improvement over the Valco footmuffs for this particular stroller. I do like that the black of the 7am matches the black of the MB Duo better as well.

liamsmom
12-10-2010, 12:59 PM
I think the 7am looks great. Very warm and comfy.

BTW, Happy Birthday to your DS1! :)

arivecchi
12-10-2010, 02:14 PM
I think the 7am looks great. Very warm and comfy.

BTW, Happy Birthday to your DS1! :)Thanks! Cannot believe my "baby" is 4!

elektra
12-10-2010, 02:53 PM
Looks really good, and it sounds like it's going to be super functional. Keep it!

arivecchi
12-10-2010, 03:28 PM
Thank you elektra. I think I am going to keep it and sell the Valco footmuffs. :) Hopefully your DD can come ride in our Duo again this winter. ;)

Thanks to scriptkitten for posting about the 7am! :thumbsup:

poohbear
12-10-2010, 04:47 PM
Yep, 5 pages on mine too!
And I vote 7 am definitely- that thing looks SO cozy, I want to jump in!!!
I agree, it doesn't look as streamlined as the Valcos, but it looks like a better fit for your boys. And did I mention HOW COZY it looks????

BTW - laughing about DH's comment about boys still being able to bother each other - that was totally my thought as well (but not in the positive column! :ROTFLMAO: )

jacksmoma
12-10-2010, 05:54 PM
loving you new blanket...lucky kids!

roseyloxs
12-10-2010, 10:57 PM
OMG! Arrivechi, I think I saw you at zoo lights tonight. I am so sorry I didn't say hi but I have a cold and my brain is moving a bit slow. The cold has also taken my voice so it has been hard to talk.

At first I saw that a duo was approaching.. then as you were passing I saw the 7am enfant and I started thinking "that's a coincidence" and then I looked back and saw the skip hop bags and said, "crap, that was definitely A, I should have said hi."

I then spent the next 45 minutes browsing for you to make amends.

The in-laws borrowed a stroller from next door. Turns out their neighbors have a kolcraft contours. The reversible feature was nice for my youngest who has a cold and wanted to face me. However it had a horrendous push while my oldest was in the stroller. The only thing I could compare it to would be those carts at the store with the car on the front for kids.

So if you saw an entourage of like 12 people pushing a red bus that was me.

arivecchi
12-10-2010, 11:46 PM
LOL! What a coincidence. I was indeed there tonight with another BBBer actually!

roseyloxs
12-11-2010, 09:13 AM
Oh yea. I meant to add that the 7am looked great. I also loved the skip hop bags on the back. Pictures don't do it justice. I have to say I didn't even notice the kids in there. Which is one reason I didn't think it was you at first because I didn't think there was a 4 year old in that duo because they were so cozy.

Multimama
12-11-2010, 09:15 AM
Okay, this is just weird. I know people say it's a small world, but how small is it actually? Should BBBers really be able to pick each other out in crowds? :)

arivecchi
12-11-2010, 10:38 AM
Oh yea. I almost meant to add that the 7am looked great. I also loved the skip hop bags on the back. Pictures don't do it justice. I have to say I didn't even notice the kids in there. Which is one reason I didn't think it was you at first because I didn't think there was a 4 year old in that duo because they were so cozy. Thank you! Yeah, my kids were both in there! You cannot see them with the canopies extended which I do sometimes at night to protect them from the wind. Hope you had fun!

liamsmom
12-11-2010, 12:22 PM
Okay, this is just weird. I know people say it's a small world, but how small is it actually? Should BBBers really be able to pick each other out in crowds? :)

:rotflmao: If not by Al, then apparently a Skip Hop saddle bag is a dead giveaway for a BBB-er.

nmstrong
12-12-2010, 12:50 AM
I love how cozy footmuffs are! love them both but think I like the look of the 7 am better...

arivecchi
12-12-2010, 11:39 AM
Thanks all! I am keeping the 7am so now I have to sell my Valco 'muffs. :)