PDA

View Full Version : best small/shelf stereo + ipod dock

lmh2402
12-07-2010, 03:59 PM
my parents recently revamped their living room and got rid of the big wall unit they had had for years. they opted for a wall mounted tv with a long, low TV console for some storage, plus cable box, etc

with the reduction in space, their ancient stereo system was sent packing.

so for christmas, us kids are wanting to buy them a stereo with a small footprint, that they can also use with their ipods

my first thought were the bose systems, but the reviews are not as good as i was hoping/expecting

does anyone have a bose system?

or is there something else you would highly recommend?

thanks!

mommylamb
12-07-2010, 04:06 PM
We have a bose sounddock and it is incredible. We've had it for about 5 years now. Our big stereo is down stairs (lowest level of 3 level town house) and the bose system is in our kitchen/family room. The quality is amazing and for such a tiny system it totally fills the air in that whole portion of the house. We love it and use it every day.

That said, by now I bet some of the cheaper alternatives are good too. Or at least I hope so because I got this one for my father this year for a Christmas present http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0038W0N8G/ref=oss_product. The bose was more than I was going to spend.

BabyBearsMom
12-07-2010, 04:08 PM
We have a Bose sound dock, and Bose speakers for our surround sound and for our desk top computer...and come to think of it, I think they are the speakers in my car. I am a big fan of Bose's products. Very high quality sound IMO. Sometimes I am amazed at how small the speakers are and what a big sound they generate. And the sound is very rich. DH is really into gadgets and swears by Bose.

mommylamb
12-07-2010, 04:12 PM
We have bose speakers for our main stereo too because they're so good. Though that stereo is an Aiwa.

lmh2402
12-07-2010, 04:28 PM
my siblings and i all have the sound dock and really like it

but i was/am looking at the unit that is bose stereo + sound dock, and that is where the reviews seems just...ehh...

i want to get something that will allow them to play the radio, a CD (doesn't have to have a changer, if the footprint would be too big), and/or the ipod

Kindra178
12-07-2010, 04:49 PM
This one was recently reviewed by the Tech Guy in the Chicago Tribune. He liked it very much:

http://www.amazon.com/Aluratek-Brick-Speaker-Dock-iPhone/dp/B0036RA4OQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1291754869&sr=1-1

I have the Ihome one from Costco; it's fine. I wouldn't say the sound is the greatest. I always thought that the Bose one was by far the best, especially because Bose speakers are so great.

infomama
12-07-2010, 04:52 PM
We have a Bose wave system and it's *amazing*. It's not an iPod docking kind (although I think we can get an attachment for one) but I would not hesitate to go with Bose.

vludmilla
12-07-2010, 08:58 PM
We just got this for our master bedroom and it is absolutely beautiful. It has very nice sound. We got it though B&H Photo for about $130. You can mount it on the wall and it is only about 2.5 inches deep.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00395WJLG/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=A13BNE3P7C8THK