PDA

View Full Version : So glad DH went for a sleep study

boolady
12-08-2010, 01:36 PM
I have been bugging DH to go for a sleep study since before DD was born, because I really suspected he had sleep apnea-- I can hear him stop breathing, gasp awake, he is ALWAYS tired, etc. He went for an initial appt. last week, and the doctor noted that his uvula and the soft tissue in his mouth are very large for the size of his mouth, in addition to a number of other issues. He did the sleep study last night, and has severe apnea. He's going back next week to be fitted for a CPAP machine.

I really hope this helps him feel more rested and it obviously will be helping to correct a dangerous problem. He works like a dog-- his work is very physical and stressful at the same time, and it will be so good for him not to be so tired when he wakes up in the a.m. He tries to take good care of himself, is not overweight at all, gets lots of exercise, etc., so hopefully he will feel as good as he looks! :heartbeat:

Also, selfishly, finally, his snoring should dramatically decrease. Let's be honest, folks. I'll happily take the side effect that benefits me, too!

bubbaray
12-08-2010, 01:38 PM
Good luck! I have heard those machines can work wonders!

buddyleebaby
12-08-2010, 01:44 PM
Good for him!

My mom has sleep apnea...her sleep study found that she stopped breathing every 8-9 seconds. The first night she wore her CPAP, she had a hard time sleeping...she said she slept maybe three hours in total...and still woke up more rested than she had been in YEARS.

boolady
12-08-2010, 01:44 PM
Good luck! I have heard those machines can work wonders!

Thanks. I have already seen the difference in my mom, who has sleep apnea caused by another medical condition. My mother is a tough cookie, and she would always deny that she was falling asleep watching TV or reading-- her catchphrase was she was just "resting her eyes." Right. :wink2:

Within 2 weeks of starting on a CPAP about 2 years ago, she volunteered to me that she could not believe that she had no idea how unrested she had been for several years. I hope DH sees the same success.

boolady
12-08-2010, 01:45 PM
Good for him!

My mom has sleep apnea...her sleep study found that she stopped breathing every 8-9 seconds. The first night she wore her CPAP, she had a hard time sleeping...she said she slept maybe three hours in total...and still woke up more rested than she had been in YEARS.

It's pretty amazing, isn't it? I'm glad your mom saw success, too. It's certainly a quality of life issue and it's amazing how they don't even know it's affecting them until things change.

♥ms.pacman♥
12-08-2010, 01:45 PM
yay!! that's awesome that he will get a CPAP. everyone i know who has one says it makes such a huge difference! and i'm sure you will notice the difference too...i hear ya on being sick of the snoring!! i made my dh go in for a sleep study last year (he is always tired, major snoring, plus his mom has severe sleep apnea) tho the test said he only had minor sleep apnea so he didn't *need* the CPAP. i wish he'd still try the CPAP anyways though. i've heard it helps ppl even with minor apnea sleep better.

amldaley
12-08-2010, 04:12 PM
I can't not say enough about the difference it made in my life. I can't sleep without my CPAP now. It was a big deal when I learned it was likely my apnea causing my miscarriages. I feel like a half-way intelligent person again and am even in a good mood more often that not again.

When I go for periods without my CPAP, life sucks for everyone around me.

I am VERY claustrophobic and was worried but I have a very small mask and it makes such a difference that I wouldn't trade it for anything.

I was also worried it would affect our intimacy, but I just make sure I read DH's signals before I put it on.

Best of luck to you both and I hope it is as successful for him!

maestramommy
12-08-2010, 04:14 PM
:hug: I'm glad for you and your DH. Hope the added rest shows benefits for everybody!

boolady
12-08-2010, 04:17 PM
I am VERY claustrophobic and was worried but I have a very small mask and it makes such a difference that I wouldn't trade it for anything.

This is the one thing I am worried about, but my mom doesn't have a mask-- she has nasal pillows, which are much less cumbersome. I wonder if there is a difference in the efficacy of the CPAP using the nasal pillows...I doubt it, or she wouldn't be allowed to use them, given her health issues. I didn't know there are different sized masks-- I'll tell DH to ask about that. Thanks!

candaceb
12-08-2010, 04:27 PM
You just convinced me to bite the bullet and call and make an appt on behalf of my DH. He is in total denial and blames his tiredness on the baby, when in fact the baby is usually only up once a night and DH only wakes up because of him a couple of times a week. His is definitely related to weight - when he loses weight he stops snoring. The first available appt is at the end of January so I figure it may push him to make a real effort at losing weight if nothing else.

boolady
12-08-2010, 04:50 PM
You just convinced me to bite the bullet and call and make an appt on behalf of my DH. He is in total denial and blames his tiredness on the baby, when in fact the baby is usually only up once a night and DH only wakes up because of him a couple of times a week. His is definitely related to weight - when he loses weight he stops snoring. The first available appt is at the end of January so I figure it may push him to make a real effort at losing weight if nothing else.

Do it. DH got scripts from our primary doctor three years running, and let every one expire. I finally told him that if he didn't schedule it this time, he was going to have to start sleeping in the guest bedroom because I can't take it anymore. I really think he didn't believe they would find anything.

amldaley
12-08-2010, 05:11 PM
This is the one thing I am worried about, but my mom doesn't have a mask-- she has nasal pillows, which are much less cumbersome. I wonder if there is a difference in the efficacy of the CPAP using the nasal pillows...I doubt it, or she wouldn't be allowed to use them, given her health issues. I didn't know there are different sized masks-- I'll tell DH to ask about that. Thanks!

I use the nasal pillows, too. No impact on efficacy if worn properly, but he will have to adjust his headgear a little tighter and learn not to be a restless sleeper as it can be knocked loose easier.

My insurance did not cover the nasal pillow at first and my Dr had to write a letter stating I was claustrophobic. All types are now covered by my insurance.

When I had DD, the hospital required me to have a full face mask.

xmasbabycomin
12-08-2010, 06:20 PM
I have four people in my family w/sleep apnea and all had to try multiple masks before finding one they could get throught the night with. I have actually never heard of the nasal pillow. Some "masks" just go into your nostrils, while others cover your nose, some your nose and mouth...you get the idea. Keep in mind it can really take weeks of frustration, going back and forth to the clinic and exchanging masks to get one you can deal with. I'm not saying this to bum you out-just to prepare you ;)

I don't think DH ever really got used to his-he would wake up in the middle of the night and take it off, half awake. A thousand bucks later (after insurance) he doesn't even try now. He says he just needs to lose weight and take care of the cause-the mask is just treating the symptoms. What an idiot. The other people I know who actually know-who wear theirs- have done well long term.