PDA

View Full Version : How did you know you were ready for more DC?

BabyBearsMom
12-08-2010, 02:13 PM
DD is 8 months old, and I am starting to feel that little tug in my chest when I see bitty baby things. I found some of DD's size new born diapers and felt a huge pang. Putting away her infant car seat, bam pang. But at the same time, DD is more than a handful and i have no idea how we could afford to have 2 DCs in daycare. How far apart in age are your children? How did you know you were ready to start trying for #2 (or #3 or more)?

brittone2
12-08-2010, 02:27 PM
I have fertility issues due to PCOS, and allow my kids to self-wean. For me, right around the time they are about 2, I start being more interested in DH ;) as I start ovulating again LOL. Mine have each been roughly 3 years apart and for me that was a nice spread, even though I didn't really have any control over it. I know my personality is not set up for handling two babies at the same time. I just can't do it. I think there are pros and cons to any spacing, but I personally don't think I'm equipped to handle my kids very close together. I was originally going to aim for DS1 and DD to be about 4 years apart, but we got pg sooner than that (unexpectedly as I went through IF treatments to have my oldest).

I am 99% sure our family is complete but I know I'll always have some pangs when looking at those tiny baby things. I've noticed since DS2 was born it has been easier for me to pack up and get rid of things than it was with the older two, however.

Best of luck.

xmasbabycomin
12-08-2010, 02:30 PM
all I can say is, unless you're superwoman, going by the baby pangs thing only is not advisable. If I did that, my kids would probably all be taken by child services b/c I just couldn't handle how many I would've had by now...love me some babies!

khalloc
12-08-2010, 02:33 PM
My DC are almost 2.5 years apart. Just shy by 1 month. I knew I wanted my DC somewhat close in age, but I never really felt pangs like you are describing. Actually I was happy with one at the time, and loved being able to devote myself to her. But we decided to TTC again when DD was about 18 or 19 months old just in case it took awhile. We got pregnant right away and DS came when DD was almost 2.5. I have 2 in daycare. Its expensive.

momof2girls
12-08-2010, 02:36 PM
DDs are 2 yrs 4 months apart. I knew I wanted them close in age but waited until I knew I could handle it. THankfully, DD#1 was a decent 2 yr old (her terrible 2s were at 18 months). Looking back, I would have liked them to be closer in age, but I wouldn't have been able to handle it. Besides, I was able to enjoy DD#1 as a baby and only child for a couple of yrs before DD#2 came along. Good luck with your decision!

Nooknookmom
12-08-2010, 02:44 PM
all I can say is, unless you're superwoman, going by the baby pangs thing only is not advisable. If I did that, my kids would probably all be taken by child services b/c I just couldn't handle how many I would've had by now...love me some babies!

Hahahaha! I'd also be in a straight jacket, tucked away in a brick building w/ ivy somewhere!!! I LOVE babies and I love being preggo. However...

I panged at 3 months PP with DD2...had I plunged into another, both physically & financially it would have been hard.

That said, to OP I'm not sure if "the right time" even exists. With DD1 I sure wish I had given into the pang b/c when we started to try again, it took YEARS of infertility (w/ no treatment, I was told that I was broken so we gave up) before DD2 suprised us :)

Go with your gut AND try to look down the highway and see what may be at the end of the trip!

baymom
12-08-2010, 02:48 PM
DC are 19 months apart and having them close in age was something that DH and I were hoping for. For me, since that was such a strong wish (I have always felt that my brother and I were too far apart in age), we started trying right about when DS was 10 months. I would have liked them even closer in age, but because of complications from my c-sec, we couldn't. As for managing two young children, if that's what you truly want, I think you'll raise to the challenge. I mean, the truth is, going from one to two will always be an adjustment.

mezzona
12-08-2010, 02:59 PM
DD was a big handful for us. We didn't know if we could handle another. But it got easier when we could communicate/understand each other better. She started listening to us more and generally seemed happier because we were able to fulfill her needs. Then as we observed her with other kids if varying ages, we knew she was a very compassionate and social person. I dunno it only seemed natural to both dh and i at that point to have another child.

♥ms.pacman♥
12-08-2010, 03:11 PM
DC are 19 months apart and having them close in age was something that DH and I were hoping for. For me, since that was such a strong wish (I have always felt that my brother and I were too far apart in age), we started trying right about when DS was 10 months. I would have liked them even closer in age, but because of complications from my c-sec, we couldn't. As for managing two young children, if that's what you truly want, I think you'll raise to the challenge. I mean, the truth is, going from one to two will always be an adjustment.

this is us. my brother and i are almost 6 years apart. while that worked really well for my parents in their situation, dh & i felt we were ready for more right away and i really really wanted two close together. plus i am not planning to be a SAHM for the long-term, so i felt for us the easiest thing would be to have another right away, then after 2nd one is about 1yo to put both in daycare and go back to work for good. the nature of the type of job i would work in is not really supportive in terms of breastfeeding or maternity leave, or even working while pregnant (potentially toxic chemicals).

also i think a BIG factor in our decision was that DS was a pretty easy baby..STTN at 3months w/o any real sleep training, no initial probs BFing, no colic or major fussiness at all, fairly flexible and easy-going baby. around 4mos we started getting the urge to have another and around 7mos i got preggo. there are days where i do wonder "what did we get ourselves into??" but as PP said, you manage, and going from one to two will be an adjustment no matter what.

AnnieW625
12-08-2010, 03:13 PM
My children are 4 yrs. and 3 weeks apart. My preference was to have my children no more than 5 yrs. apart, and be done by 32 because I'd be 50/51 when the youngest started college. Somehow it worked out that way.

For two years I was happy and content with just DD1 and really thought I would be okay having an only, but I knew deep down DH wanted DD1 to have a sibling. We started trying in May, 2008, and well it took 6 months before I got pregnant. We lost the baby, and then at the end of that we decided that if I got pregnant again, great, if not then it just wasn't meant to be. I got pregnant three months after the loss w/o any planning other than glancing at MyMonthly Planner.com calender (afterwards) and estimating. It worked. I don't want to cause a big debate or ill feelings, but after my experiences of getting pregnant without even trying with both of my healthy pregnancies I am a big believer in keeping things low key and not stressing over things like getting pregnant (again please no flames as I know this is a very sensitive topic).

Now that DD2 is starting to grow out of the infant clothes and into the 6 to 12, 9 mos., and some small 12 mos. stuff I am getting sad, but financially we made the decision that we are done, and DH had the vasectomy so we are really done, and we are happy with that.

codex57
12-08-2010, 03:20 PM
DW wanted them closer together. So, they could be friends, they would be born earlier in DW's life (less risky), and we had the option of having more if we so decided.

I actually wanted them 5 yrs apart like me and my sister. We've NEVER fought. To me, it's cuz we were so far apart. I was old enough that I never saw her as competition, but as someone for me to take care of. At 5 yrs apart, we were in pretty different stages of toys so I never wanted what she played with and vice versa. Plus, my mom's kinda crazy. We learned it was much better to work together against our common enemy: mom.

DS and DD are almost 2 yrs apart. Too early to tell if I think it's a good idea or not. Seen some good and bad parts.

daisymommy
12-08-2010, 04:49 PM

:ROTFLMAO: :yeahthat:

Like Beth, I know my limits and what spacing works best for me. I know lots of people who enjoy their kids 18 months-2 years apart. But for me, 3+ is a better spread. So when they hit 2-3 age mark I start getting that itch again to be pregnant and have another baby. I really like to fully enjoy each baby on it's own, without another baby competing for that enjoyment (not sure if that makes sense). So once that baby stage is over, I want another baby. Gosh, that sounds bad, like they're puppies or something :tongue5:. I love my older kids to death, and it's a fun stage as well. But there is something hormonal that happens that just makes me baby crazy every few years!