PDA

View Full Version : Velvet blazers?

twowhat?
12-08-2010, 05:44 PM
What (other than jeans) goes well with a velvet blazer?

I have a rich chocolate brown one from jcrew that fits me well and I was thinking of wearing it for an off-site business meeting where dress code is business casual (suits not required, but no jeans).

I have lots of shirts that would go well with it but I'm kind of at a loss for what to wear on the bottom...specifically what color...since I usually wear it with slim dark wash jeans.

♥ms.pacman♥
12-08-2010, 05:51 PM
if you cant' wear jeans with it, my first thought would be khakis, in maybe a dark color (e.g. darker than traditional "khaki" color)? maybe in navy (since you say it goes well with dark wash jeans)?

eta: i have a black velvet blazer that i also usually wear with jeans. if i couldn't wear it with jeans, i'd probably wear it with darkish grey trousers or something.

DrSally
12-08-2010, 05:55 PM
Brown/tan tweed skirt? How about a patterned (floral) skirt with some brown in it?

lizzywednesday
12-08-2010, 06:15 PM
I'd do a skirt as well and lean towards a tweed. And knee-high boots if your calves will let you.

(My "default neutral" is brown, so I like to look at outfits in terms of textures. I think the richness of a velvet would be matched well with the heaviness of a tweed.)

DrSally
12-08-2010, 06:26 PM
I'd do a skirt as well and lean towards a tweed. And knee-high boots if your calves will let you.

(My "default neutral" is brown, so I like to look at outfits in terms of textures. I think the richness of a velvet would be matched well with the heaviness of a tweed.)

Since you wear a lot of brow, what other colors go with brown? In the summer, I wear it with pink or coral, but not sure about more "wintery" neutrals. I guess blue goes too.

twowhat?
12-08-2010, 06:33 PM
I have a tweed-y skirt...maybe that will work. No boots though. I only have flats. I'll try combining pieces tonight to see what looks good. I need a wardrobe makeover!

As far as colors that go well with that rich brown, I love pairing it with jewel tones - coral, turquoise, emerald, deep purples, ruby reds.