PDA

View Full Version : NPR Piece on Rear Facing

belovedgandp
12-09-2010, 11:30 AM
Only caught the end of this in the car this morning so had to find the rest.

http://www.npr.org/2010/12/09/131918000/facing-backward-keeping-kids-safe-in-cars

Extended rear facing is coming up more frequently which is fabulous. My pediatrician even changed their information in the past few years. Just had a 9 month well baby check and the carseat information was RF until 2 or limits of seat. It was not that with my now 3 1/2 year old.

babychi
12-09-2010, 12:04 PM
That's awesome! Kudos to NPR.

edurnemk
12-09-2010, 12:07 PM
I'm glad this is getting more exposure, but did anyone notice the car seat in the picture looks really old? I mean it's the kind that you pull a bar down over the kid's lap! Oh, and the list of Tips on the left is not updated, even though the article is about extended rear-facing, the first tip says to keep them RF at least to 20# and 1 yo, instead of the current AAP rec. Minor things, since the article exposes ERF very well, but I couldn't help noticing.

AnnieW625
12-09-2010, 12:13 PM
Thanks for the link, but why oh why did they post at least a 10 yr. old stock photo to their article?!

It's great that there is more talk about this stuff now because almost 4 yrs. ago I had no clue how much safer rear facing was and we turned DD1 around at 1 yr. old. We are going till at least 2 with DD2.

Joolsplus2
12-09-2010, 02:45 PM
Why did they have to cloud the message by mentioning seats on airplanes, though?
Oh well, it's an article, quoting an excellent source...It's better than nothing, especially if you're one of the 5 families a day with a child dying in a crash who doesn't want that to happen to others :(

Wish most of the commenters would hop in a car at high speed and hit a brick wall, though :p

TwinFoxes
12-09-2010, 02:58 PM
Thanks for the link, but why oh why did they post at least a 10 yr. old stock photo to their article?!

I was wondering about that seat! But the photo credit is the National Highway Traffic Safety Admin...I wonder why they have such old photos?

Joolsplus2
12-09-2010, 03:12 PM
I was wondering about that seat! But the photo credit is the National Highway Traffic Safety Admin...I wonder why they have such old photos?

Probably just easy to access, still, sitting around on the servers without any label as to what's new or old?
Even the sec'y of transportation didn't use photos from their own archives, he stole one from carseatblog http://carseatblog.com/8365/help-the-government-e-kidnapped-my-son/ :ROTFLMAO:

belovedgandp
12-09-2010, 10:39 PM
Yeah, I noticed the stock photo and agree that the message was clouded by the almost after-thought discussion of plane travel.

I only read the first four or five comments and got irritated.