PDA

View Full Version : Is there an option out there for us? Double needed

meme9300
12-10-2010, 02:34 PM
Hi Everyone,

I think I have landed on the perfect single for us thanks to this board: The Valco Quad.

However, I will have a 3 year old when #2 is born and need a "mall and Target" stroller and really don't think my 3 year old will do well on just a buggy board.

Is there an option out there for us??

Details:

New baby in July
Toddler turns 3 in July
Toddler is a tall boy (haven't measured him in a while but approx 38 inches and 33 lbs so by the time he is 3...who knows?

I honestly don't really have a price range, but looking for an option that will work for me.

Would love:

BIG BASKET in addition to all of this but not sure if it is even possible?!
CAR SEAT COMPATIBLE (please don't lecture me about not keeping the baby in the car seat..I don't...but this would be convenient for quick in and out Target trips)

I don't want it to be too much of a beast if possible, although I do have an SUV.

Don't want a double BOB (hate the snack tray at the neck and the hammocky seat).

What do you think? Could the B-ready work for us? Any other double.

I am open to either inline, tandem or SBS.

Thanks!

Nechums
12-10-2010, 02:46 PM
sorry, no response here, but it sounds like i could have written the exact same post. i'll be monitoring this thread very closely...

goldenpig
12-10-2010, 03:07 PM
Mall stroller? How about BJCMD? The basket isn't large but it does have mesh pockets on the seat backs. You can buy a car seat adapter. SO easy to fold and get in & out of the car. This would be my top pick for SBS for you. I bought one, but got rid of it in favor of the jogging version (Summit XC double) since I mostly use it outside, not at the mall. The Summit is probably too wide and heavy if you don't need all-terrain. The Mountain Buggy Duo is also great and has a huge basket and is narrow, but has a huge bulky fold and is not a good car stroller. I would go with something lighter for indoor use.

And, take this with a grain of salt since I just got rid of one, but if huge basket, good for tall kids, and car seat compatible are the most important to features to you...this one does actually meet all those criteria: Joovy Ergo Caboose. It has a very long fold and I am not a fan of tandem strollers anymore (very long, like driving a bus), but it's worth looking at. It has an included car seat adapter and can work with newborns on up.

ETA: I just noticed that since you don't need it right away, I would seriously consider the MB Duet. It's like a double Swift. That might be a great option for you! The only thing is it might not be great for big/tall kids since it is narrow (only 25 inches)!

arivecchi
12-10-2010, 03:20 PM
What about just adding the Joey seat to the Quad? Would that be too cumbersome?

If so, then I agre that the BJCMD would be a good option.

Don't rule out the toddler board though. My DS sits on the board and places his feet in the basket when he is tired. We have the Valco Hitch Hiker.

purpelina
12-10-2010, 07:48 PM
Besides, there's still a long wait till July, your oldest might be able and willing to walk much more than now. Kids change so fats! When my second was born, my oldest was just a bit over 3, and I never even considered a double. Heck, I didn't even have a buggy board. I don't say that you shouldn't!:loveeyes: I'm just saying that you can safely wait and see. This board is great, you can always find deals and coupons for a stroller you are dreaming about, so you can postpone the "double question" till spring. A lot depends on your oldest child, and on your life style.

Plus, your might use a baby carrier for your youngest, pushing the older one in the stroller. Might be a good option for shorter outings for errands when toddler is tired.

roseyloxs
12-10-2010, 10:58 PM
Besides, there's still a long wait till July, your oldest might be able and willing to walk much more than now. Kids change so fats! When my second was born, my oldest was just a bit over 3, and I never even considered a double. Heck, I didn't even have a buggy board. I don't say that you shouldn't!:loveeyes: I'm just saying that you can safely wait and see. This board is great, you can always find deals and coupons for a stroller you are dreaming about, so you can postpone the "double question" till spring. A lot depends on your oldest child, and on your life style.

Plus, your might use a baby carrier for your youngest, pushing the older one in the stroller. Might be a good option for shorter outings for errands when toddler is tired.

:yeahthat:

sweetsoul99
12-12-2010, 05:47 PM
What ended up working best for us was a single that I could put baby or toddler in. If it was a quick trip, baby went in the stroller and toddler walked. If it was a longer trip (aka-mall), baby went into a carrier and toddler walked.

Or the BJCMD would be fabulous too. sbs could be a bit annoying in the smaller stores, but you manage.

My DD1 also likes to sit on our buggy board.

meme9300
12-12-2010, 06:39 PM
Thanks for all of the replies. I am going to wait a bit longer to decide but think that a convertible single would be best because who knows what the toddler will want to do by then. Also, he'll be in preschool during the day and I don't want to be pushing a double around with just one!

I like the B-ready right now, hate the P&T, not sure about the vista...

Is there a post with a list of all of the convertible singles out there?

Thanks!

tarnator
12-13-2010, 12:09 AM
I am in a similar position as you....I want it all! :D

I just lucked out and bought a pre-order 2011 Uppababy Vista with one of the discount codes. So I also got the rumble seat and the piggyback board for it. It COULD be my only stroller.......but, i really don't want to heave the whole works in and out of the car. So i am planning to use it as my neighborhood stroller. And switch between bassinet and seat depending on whether I have the baby or the toddler with me or both!

So....what I want in the car is a good umbrella with recline. Still sorting out my thoughts on that one. Mac, g-luxe, or cybex. maybe with a hitch-hiker? Or I might just throw 2 umbrellas in the car. Or the Uppa with the carseat attachement.......or the P&T that a friend just offered to me...??:yay:

Sorry, i am not much help. I don't know what is going to work for me either!

purpelina
12-13-2010, 02:49 PM
Thanks for all of the replies. I am going to wait a bit longer to decide but think that a convertible single would be best because who knows what the toddler will want to do by then. Also, he'll be in preschool during the day and I don't want to be pushing a double around with just one!

Thanks!

A while ago someone asked about all reversible stroller options, and there was a nice list - strollerqueen chimed in and it was the most extensive list, I guess :)

search the forum.

Also, what we did when there was a long outing - we took two single strollers for our 2 kids. It was more versatile set up for day to day life (I could choose which stroller to take), and I never really went on a long outing alone, it was either dh or my friends with me, so we always had another person who could push another stroller. Worked very well.
So you can keep your quad and add a reversible to your stash.

jerry_mishkata
12-14-2010, 11:15 AM

Thanks!

Hi, I have a Valco quad too and I got it thinking to use the joey seat (a add on seat that clicks into the bumper bar housings) when my toddler wants to ride (I don't have a second child yet, we have just started TTC). Is there a problem with that setup? Or maybe your toddler would be too big for the joey seat?

Just to add, I used to have a Vista 2009 (without an upright position for the seat) and the baby hated it so I had to sell it as much as I loved the basket and the possible rumbleseat option. Most reversible strollers have a bucket seat, i.e. even reclined the baby is bent which I don't know whether is comfortable for a bigger child. I have seen a lot of people pushing Vista's around here, NYC, with very small children or children under 1.5 year old but I have seen VERY VERY FEW with older kids. Most older kids are in Maclarens/umbrella strollers. There must be a reason for this and that's one reason I didn't buy the 2010 version of the Vista, which has the upright seat option and went for the Quad.

mrsjde
12-14-2010, 12:07 PM
The rumble seat is very difficult with an older/ bigger child. I had the Vista from my first child, so that is why I got the Rumble Seat. I wouldn't have purchased it if this was not the case.

I agree with a PP-- do the carrier first and then see where you are. At that point, a board might work best.