PDA

View Full Version : Highlander car seat install

alyoop13
12-10-2010, 11:41 PM
I have a 2010 Highlander and am getting ready to install my Britax Boulevard. I'm a FTM and chose a convertible seat over the infant one but need advice on where to install. I'm not sure if it can be installed in the middle?? Anyone have a Highlander and willing to share opinions or experiences? Thanks!!

WolfpackMom
12-11-2010, 12:00 AM
We installed in the middle using the lapbelt and even installed sideboard like our seat is now, we were able to get a tighter install with the belt rather than the latches. The way the seats are in my 08 having the seat in the middle does make it a little lopsided, but its not too bad. We have a Britax RA50, the seat you are using may make a difference, but the middle was OK for us.

army_mom
12-11-2010, 12:00 AM
I have a 2011 Highlander and if you have the 2 captain chair seating option (with the optional little pull out seat) I don't think you can install a carseat in the middle since it isn't a full size seat. It definitely does not have LATCH there. The two captain chairs have LATCH for easy install, but the third row seats do not.
I'm not a carseat pro by any means so hopefully somone else can verify!

WolfpackMom
12-11-2010, 12:06 AM
I have a 2011 Highlander and if you have the 2 captain chair seating option (with the optional little pull out seat) I don't think you can install a carseat in the middle since it isn't a full size seat. It definitely does not have LATCH there. The two captain chairs have LATCH for easy install, but the third row seats do not.
I'm not a carseat pro by any means so hopefully somone else can verify!

Hmmm ours has the middle part that comes out, but the seat fit fine. We used the seatbelt install ofcourse since there isn't a latch in the middle, since we have a Britax we tethered to one side and that did make the back of the seat seem a little lopsided but we had a solid install. Im not sure if maybe the seat shoudlnt have been there then?
Maybe Jools can provide more info on that....?

alyoop13
12-11-2010, 12:34 AM
I also have the captain seats which is why I am a bit confused regarding the installation. Is it better to install in the center without the latch (using seat belt) or to install on the passenger side using the latch? So many questions, so little time!!

Joolsplus2
12-11-2010, 10:10 AM
As long as a seat fits and the manual doesn't say it's not ok, you can install it there :).

To the original poster... I'd try both the window seat with LATCH or the center with the seatbelt. If the center doesn't seem like as good of an install (those new lockoffs can be a bit tricky to master when using the belt), then the LATCH outboard is fine. Sometimes you'll learn enough about your seat and car that you can move your seat around in 2 minutes flat depending on your seating needs, anyway :). The LATCH is definitely going to be easiest, but you can also factor in some convenience issues... will it be easier to plop the baby in the seat while standing at the side of the car, or easier to climb into the car and sit next to the seat while you buckle baby up? How many rear seat passengers do you typically have and what spot is most comfy to sit next to the seat...?