PDA

View Full Version : Need a convertible, and a booster(?) for Grandpa's Prius

catpagmo
12-11-2010, 12:13 PM
DD is 43 lbs, and turns 5 in two weeks. DS is 21 months, and maybe 21 lbs, very small for his age. Can anyone advise me on what seats would work in a Prius, for very occasional use? DS would need a convertible seat. Not sure if DD is ready for a booster. I'm not familiar with the age/weight requirements for those.

In my car, DD rides ff in a MA, and DS rides rf in a BLVD. I'm not sure if grandpa needs those, or if they would even fit. I'm looking for something less expensive, but just as safe.

Thanks for any input!

mom2binsd
12-11-2010, 07:38 PM
You could get your DD a Graco Turbo Booster, they fit little one's well, you would need to do some booster training and read about proper booster use.

For your DS what about a Evenflo Maestro, it can go RF until he's much bigger, or a Cosco Scenera or Safety 1st Avenue...all RF for your little one. Even the Graco Myride would be a good choice.

catpagmo
12-12-2010, 11:26 AM
Thanks so much for the suggestions! I will check those out today.

o_mom
12-12-2010, 03:14 PM
The Maestro is FF only, so it won't work for your little one, but a great choice for the older one if you want a harnessed seat. A booster would be OK in there as well at that age and size.

The least expensive convertibles - Cosco Scenera, Evenflo Titan, Safety 1st Avenue/Uptown - are going to be a little harder to install and use, but would work. These are $40-80. The next step up in price would be the Evenflo Triumph Advance and Graco MyRide, $120-140, but I think they are significantly easier to use and install for someone that doesn't use them every day. For $160, you can get a Roundabout50, which would be even easier and have the bonus of being able to use your MA cover on it if needed.

catpagmo
12-12-2010, 11:49 PM
Thanks o-mom... I'll check those, too!

Melanie
12-12-2010, 11:58 PM
A Marathon fit fine in our prius, now Dd is in a parkway which also fits fine. There's a lot more room back there than you think. ;)

RF was a little trickier in the MA and we ended up moving Dd FF sooner than I would like just because of the way the door slopes down left a small area to get her into an RF seat once she was big. It wasn't impossible but really hurt my back to do it in such a way that I wouldn't smack her head. We didn't have to do it "early" just earlier than I would like. I think she was somewhere around age 2. It's all a blur now...