PDA

View Full Version : Peg Perego Uno?

BCLaraby
12-11-2010, 10:12 PM
Hi there!

My name's Brandon and I'm a soon-to-be first-time father (due Feb 16th!) in the middle of the wonderfully-complicated process of picking out a stroller.

Now, my wife seems to be really into the idea of a stroller that can convert into a carriage, specifically, the ability to switch it around and have the baby be able to look at her while she's pushing it.

So far the only one that does that, that's piqued her interest, is the Peg Perego Uno.

Now, here's the thing, we were all set to throw down some money and pick this thing up however we ran into a whole slew of negative reviews online about problems steering it in carriage mode, problems pushing it forward when on tiled/laminate surfaces (like mall floors -- apparently the wheels lock up??), and problems with the handbrake conking out on people in the first 2-3 weeks of regular use.

Needless to say, we're both quite worried about these reviews -- especially considering how close we were to buying this stroller.

As an added bonus, apparently (according to numerous negative reviews) Peg Perego customer service is not very helpful... :S

My question(s) to you, if you don't mind me asking, are:

- Have you personally run into any of these, or any other, issues (including problems with Peg Perego customer service)? If so, are they easily fixed? I'm pretty handy so hopefully I can fix some things (loose handbrake, etc.)

- How comfortable is the stroller for the baby? For us, a big selling point is the idea that we can use it from newborn 'till they can walk on their own so comfort's going to be a key thing.

- Finally, are there any other strollers, in a similar price range, with the same feature (the reversible handlebar...?) that perform better?

Thank you so much for any advice or insight you can offer, this whole thing is already turning into one giant stress ball for us (and we've barely started!), so anything that makes it easier is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Brandon

AidanRyanMom
12-12-2010, 11:44 AM
I am currently in the process of choosing a stroller with the same functions. I had looked at the Peg Pliko switch, which has many of the same features of the uno, but has been out for a while and is more tried and true. It doesn't turn into as much of a bassinet, but it does have a full flat recline. If you are really interested in a peg, it might be worth a look. In the end, I have decided to go with an uppababy vista. It's rated really well by most that have it. It figured that there's gotta be a reason. It is a little heavy and pricey ($680). I would stay away from anything that has consistently bad reviews from users. HTH. Good luck with your search.

jacksmoma
12-12-2010, 12:31 PM
the uno is ok- it is rather large and you have to push it with the tires on non-swivel i believe when the seat is parent facing which is just horrid to push imo. there are many many other better parent facing strollers out now...how about a bugaboo or a vista? there are also many cheaper knock offs too. check out babygizmo's reviews on youtube- she's reviewed many many great strollers we talk about on here :) GL!

liamsmom
12-12-2010, 12:57 PM
A lot of people don't like the Uno because the rear wheels don't swivel, so when the handle bar is reversed, pushing/steering the stroller is quite difficult. There are a lot of reversible strollers out there:

Cheap:
First Years Indigo
First Years Wave--seat converts to a bassinet

Moderate Price (similar to Uno)
Bumbleride Flyer: reversible handle bar, wheels can lock/unlock so steering is better
I'coo Pacific and I'coo Targo--seat converts to a bassinet
Pliko Switch
Maxi Cosi Foray

Higher End:
Bugaboo--Cameleon, Frog, Bee
Uppa Baby Vista
Peg Perego Skate
Britax B-Ready

That is far from a complete list. There's lots more out there. A reversible seat will guarantee better steering than a reversible handle bar.

How will you be using your stroller? Mostly for walks outside, or in and out of the car for errands? In the city or the burbs? Air or foam tires make a stroller heavier, but they provide a much smoother ride and easier push.

And while I know price is a big factor, don't discount the pricier brands. When I started looking I thought $600 for a stroller was crazy, but now I wish I had given them more consideration. There are some great deals out there and often a used luxury stroller performs much better than a brand new, average stroller.

legaleagle
12-12-2010, 01:24 PM
I believe the bumbleride flyer is the most directly comparable with the switchable handlebar (and bumbleride has fantastic customer service) but definitely check out some of the other options people have already mentioned. I've seen the first years wave in person and it is very cool as well. Seconding watching baby gizmo videos - she has a ton of great info, though she does seem to like just about every stroller reviewed, it's great to be able to see them being folded and reclined, etc.

BCLaraby
12-12-2010, 01:39 PM
Thank you all for your feedback.

We live right in downtown of the city and don't actually own a car, so we walk around to do all of our errands (groceries, hospital checkups, mall) - which are all around a 15min walk from home. If we go anywhere farther we'd be taking the subway or bus.

We like the uno features because it is fairly light weight compared to other brands (Bugaboo and Vista) which is good for my petite wife (not sure if she can handle 20+lb plus the baby and other stuff), mid price range for a luxury stroller, and can keep the baby warm in winter below 10F - not that we're planning to take the baby out frequently in that kind of weather but you may not be able to avoid it sometimes.

We considered I'coo Targo but noticed that there are some concerns with its sturdiness especially when the height is adjusted up (wobbly?) and the canopy couldn't come far enough which may be a problem in windy weather in the city with highrises all around us.

There are no store near us that have all of the models on display for try outs, so most of our research was done online. We also saw a great deal on 2009 Uno ($300) compared to a switch ($400) so really wondering if we should take the chance!

Some of the reviewers have nothing but good things to say about Uno and the smooth ride, others said it is horrible. Are there any Uno owners out here who can testify and is it really that hard to maneuver in reverse mode?

Thank you!
Thanks.

salsah
12-12-2010, 01:59 PM
like one of the pp's mentioned, there are so many other parent facing strollers to consider (you can add the baby jogger city select to the list).

to make things easier for you, start by looking at the vista and the bee first. one is full size, one is compact/relatively lightweight (for a reversible). from there, you can decide (or we can help you) which others to consider depending on what you like/don't like about those two. also feel free to tell us about your lifestyle (suburban vs city dweller, do you use PT often, will you mostly use the stroller on smooth surfaces or rougher terrain, any snow to deal with) and about you and your DW (are either of you extremely tall or short or have health issues that may prevent you from lifting a heavy stroller, etc.) so that we can make other suggestions.

btw, in case you are not convinced, i agree with your DW, get a stroller with a parent facing option.

AidanRyanMom
12-12-2010, 03:18 PM
I second the rec for checking out the city select. The 2010s are also on sale now (in the $300s).... the 2011 are changing the seat a little (more support in the seat, a little bigger, different padding). I thought (at some point) that I had decided on the Bumbleride Flyer as well... until I read reviews. A lot of people complain about the push (they say it leans to one side when going up hills). Not sure if it is user error or reality.