PDA

View Full Version : Big baby worries!

justbreathe11
12-12-2010, 07:59 AM
I am pretty nervous. I had a 29 week growth ultrasound because of BP issues I have been having. Baby is measuring 3 pounds, 11 ounces & 2 weeks ahead!! He is in the 75th percentile. This completely scares me!! Not only am I worried about having a c section now, but I'm thinking he wont fit in any of the newborn diapers I have already opened, or any of the newborn clothes I have bought! Anyone else been told they are carrying a big baby?!
My doctor started to lecture me about what I have been eating, then saw I have only gained 6 pounds. Then she went to lecture me on my sugar, but the last test came out normal. So she said, "well looks like it's just gonna be a big one!"

Melbel
12-12-2010, 09:14 AM
IME, ultrasounds are not very accurate when it comes to weight. Also, babies tend to gain weight in spurts, so a snapshot on a given day does not determine weight in the future. I actually preferred having larger babies. They do not seem quite as fragile and have some extra weight in the event of illness or weight loss. Wishing you the best in the home stretch!

Hawkeyewife
12-12-2010, 09:49 AM
Baby #1 6lb, 1oz
Baby#2 7lbs, 8ozs
Baby #3 9lbs, 4ozs
Baby #4 9lbs, 15ozs

My easiest birth was #3, but #2 went very smoothly. My smallest was the most difficult (in a hospital, hooked up to machines in bed), all natural though. I feel it is more about positioning than size in my case. Babies 1 and 4 have rounder heads than 2 and 3, don't know if that makes a difference. Talk to a Doula, get some support now. Don't worry, sounds like you are doing fine. IMHO, don't get anymore "growth" scans unless you have a specific medical reason.

Take Care, enjoy your Sunday.

SnuggleBuggles
12-12-2010, 10:10 AM
Big doesn't have to be too big for you. You need to stop psyching yourself up about this. There is absolutely *zero* way for you or anyone else to know what too big is for your body- and no one can tell by looking at you (small framed people, like myself, have birthed easily big babies).

You can't really control size. What you do have some control over is position: your position during labor and delivery (as well as in the last weeks of birth) and baby's position (a well positioned baby, not posterior or other less than ideal position, can make a huge difference!). Re. fetal position and what you need to know before birth and during:
http://www.motherspirit.net/articles/pregnancy/preventpost.htm

I recommend learning as much as you can about what you can do to help yourself have a better chance at a more successful birth. If your Dr. starts suggesting c-sections, inductions...you know you are really going to need to be informed and involved. Hiring a doula in a situation like that is a fantastic idea.

You need to shake off seeds of doubt about size. If labor goes slower than normal or deviates from "normal" in some way, because you already have this "big" in your head you may make decisions like having a c-section that you wouldn't if you believed baby to be a smaller size. If you had no reason to believe baby could be "too big" for you then you would probably go into labor and face it differently, imo. So, repeat to yourself that you do have control over positions and often those matter more...and that you grew this baby and given a good chance you can deliver this baby.

I could go on and on about this but I'll stop here. I'll go on and on if you ask though. ;)

I agree with pp no more "growth" u/s. At 20w my ds2 was less than 10%. He was born 9lb 9oz (no gestational diabetes or other concerns). So, growth spurts can happen off schedule and u/s can just be wrong.

Hire a doula. :)

Beth

ray7694
12-12-2010, 11:31 AM
My doctor said the exact same thing with ds which was my first. She kept saying over 9 and he came out 7 11 which shocked her. So along comes dd and she said I was wrong with number 1 so I don't think it will be big. The nurse and doctor kept saying I can't believe how big she is when she came out at 9 pounds 3 ounces.

Moral to the story if a doctor who has been delivering babies for years can't predict no one can.

daisymommy
12-12-2010, 11:37 AM
I totally agree with everything Beth (SnuggleBuddies) said. Positioning is everything.

Also, ultrasounds can be off by 2lbs. in either direction--meaning the baby can be 2 pounds smaller than they think! Ultrasounds are not accurate when it comes to size and weight.

JBaxter
12-12-2010, 02:09 PM
Do NOT worry about baby size. My largest was my easiest delivery BY FAR. Its more about head/ baby positioning. I pushed 3x with my largest and had less tearing than with my smallest who was 2lbs smaller.

brittone2
12-12-2010, 04:24 PM
Add me to the chorus-

USs are notoriously inaccurate for predicting baby's size. There is quite a large plus or minus margin of error on US for size generally speaking.

In addition, there is no way to say in advance that your baby will be too big to birth vaginally. Your pelvis is held together w/ ligaments and you can't predict how much they stretch. Baby's position is also important, like PPs said.

DS1 and DD were both 8lbs 4 oz and 20.5 inches long. Both were easy births. Pushed for 20 mins with DS1, and had a very small tear (no big deal at all). DD was like a few little pushes and out...no tearing.

DS2 was my biggest, at 9lbs even, and 21 inches. 2 pushes with one contraction and he was out, no tears, no need to even use a peri bottle post partum. Felt great...no swelling, etc. You just can't predict. I'm 5'2" and about 118 lbs when not pg (eta: I don't consider myself particularly small whatsoever, but I've had friends my size be told by their OBs that their "pelvis is too small" or that they won't be able to push out a larger baby...<eyeroll>).

Do not let a number or prediction based on an US toy with your mind :hug:

MommyAllison
12-12-2010, 04:42 PM
Ultrasound size prediction was way off for DD - it estimated her at .5lb higher than her birth weight, a couple days before she was born. For DS, I didn't have any ultrasounds after 20 weeks, but my midwife guessed his birth weight a week before he was born and was spot on. Do not worry - like everyone else said, ultrasound is notoriously unreliable for size prediction!

jammytoast
12-12-2010, 04:48 PM
my us measurements were way off for, too....DD measured on the 39w US at 9 lb, delivered at 42w at 7lb 2. Also, they CANNOT force you into a C/S or induction for "big baby".

I know its hard not to worry, but try not to!

swrc00
12-12-2010, 04:51 PM
I totally agree with everyone. I measured big starting at 30 weeks. However, all the ultrasounds showed DS would be 8 lbs or under. He ended up being 9 lbs 13 ozs. Ultrasounds are not accurate for weight at all. I had an easy labor. DS even wore NB sizes for the first week because they fit him best.

SnuggleBuggles
12-12-2010, 06:30 PM
Oh yeah, my 9lb 9oz baby wore NB sized diapers for several weeks as well as NB clothes. It's always hard to know about those sizes b/c it all depends on how the weight is distributed.

Beth

Edensmum
12-12-2010, 07:30 PM
Please don't worry based on this u/s, they are not accurate and the doctor scaring you over a very loosely estimated size is just rude.

justlearning
12-12-2010, 07:54 PM
I echo what others have said--relax if you can! :) Regarding the diapers, if you truly don't need them then you can find many places to donate them to. Regarding the clothes, I'd recommend keeping receipts and tags on clothes (except for a few) because it's always hard to know how your baby will fit in the clothes regardless of his size.

FWIW, I had a 10lb 13 oz. baby vaginally with no problems--easy! My second baby was smaller but had to be taken out by c-section due to being breech. So it's hard to predict when you'll ever need a c-section and worrying about it won't help anything. If your doctors are truly concerned as you get closer to your delivery date, perhaps they would induce early?

BTW, my big baby did wear newborn clothes for the first one or two weeks. :)

SnuggleBuggles
12-12-2010, 08:00 PM
If they do suggest an induction, I'd be really leery. Unless your cervix is super favorable and baby is low and perfectly positioned I wouldn't even consider it unless there us a health risk (not size). If you are looking to avoid a c-section, inductions typically raise the risk. Sorry, like I said, I could go on and on about this topic...it's one of my soapbox things. :)

Beth

WolfpackMom
12-12-2010, 08:02 PM
Please don't worry based on this u/s, they are not accurate and the doctor scaring you over a very loosely estimated size is just rude.

:yeahthat: Really. Don't let people try and tell you you're having a big baby just by looking at you either. MIL kept saying that DS would be huge and I kept telling her he wouldnt and she said if not then I was just getting fat. Puhleeazzze lady. He was 6lbs 12oz, and yes my belly was big but really it was just in proportion to my body size. My sister had an ultrasound that predicted 8lbs and they induced early because she was diabetic, my nephew was 10.5 lbs so the ultrasound was way off there. I dont trust the ultrasound size predictions or people's random predictions based on how you look!
The only person close was my nurse during the delivery who guessed 7-7.5lbs.

shawnandangel
12-12-2010, 11:14 PM
DD was predicted to be over 8lbs and was 5lbs 15 oz. Like others have said, don't let this one US psych you out!

Melanie
12-12-2010, 11:44 PM
I wouldn't worry about it. My big baby turned out to be 7 1/2 lbs and didn't fit into anything b/c I'd returned all the under 8 lb clothing.

Melarina
12-13-2010, 09:39 AM
My babies were both predicted to be large and were between 7 and 8 pounds -- I freaked out but their sizes were not a problem. HTH!

kara97210
12-13-2010, 12:02 PM
Just another one adding that predictions can be off. I was told to expect small (6-7 lbs) and DS ended up at almost 9 lbs.

JBaxter
12-13-2010, 12:18 PM
Now I will have to add the u/s techs at my OB office are known to be very good. 6 days before Jack was born she had him at 9lb9oz. He was 10lb1oz at birth. She also told me he was going to be off the chart on height and he as a midge below 23inches.
I really think its the quality of the tech ( getting accurate measurement) and the equipment. Steph the tech that usually did my u/s ( I had weekly biophysical profiles after 32 weeks because I was 41 ) She had him averaging 5 to 9oz per week at the end. So your u/s CAN be correct but it still cant give you an accurate prediction on your labor and delivery. My SIL was born in the car on the to the hospital and weighed 10lbs her mom didnt think she was in real labor vs my cousin's half sister who couldnt push out her 5lb 2oz baby.

A woman's body is an amazing thing ;) trust it <3

AnnieW625
12-13-2010, 01:04 PM
I had been measured with DD1 four days before her birth and the dr. estimated that she would be about 7/1/2 to 8lbs if she was to be born at 40 weeks. She was born at 37 weeks and 6 days and weighed 6lbs 6 oz. . With DD2 I didn't have an u/s past the 20 weeks so I had no idea how big she was going to be. I was hoping for 8lb baby, but just like her big sister she was a small baby, 6lbs, 4oz. Both were 19.5" long. Both girls were in newborn clothes, and diapers until they were 2 mos. old.

cnk4
12-13-2010, 01:10 PM
Hi everyone. Good luck to OP.

I had an ultrasound at 34.5 weeks indicating that my baby was 7 lbs. 2 oz (97th percentile). They suggested that I plan for a c-section at 39 weeks, but that I should have another ultrasound at 38 weeks to check baby's position and size and re-evaluate the possibility of a natural birth at that time. That will be tomorrow. So...we'll see how things go, but from what I have been reading, it seems there is some support for c-sections once the baby passes the 90th percentile. I think my doctors feel like that should be more like 95th percentile, but it all depends.

I do not mean to knock natural childbirth or going with whatever you feel comfortable with. There are multiple ways to have a healthy baby. I would ideally be able to have a natural birth, but I am trying to keep an open mind to what the doctors might recommend.

brittone2
12-13-2010, 01:45 PM

I had an ultrasound at 34.5 weeks indicating that my baby was 7 lbs. 2 oz (97th percentile). They suggested that I plan for a c-section at 39 weeks, but that I should have another ultrasound at 38 weeks to check baby's position and size and re-evaluate the possibility of a natural birth at that time. That will be tomorrow. So...we'll see how things go, but from what I have been reading, it seems there is some support for c-sections once the baby passes the 90th percentile. I think my doctors feel like that should be more like 95th percentile, but it all depends.

I do not mean to knock natural childbirth or going with whatever you feel comfortable with. There are multiple ways to have a healthy baby. I would ideally be able to have a natural birth, but I am trying to keep an open mind to what the doctors might recommend.

Doesn't ACOG recommend against (eta: prophylactic) c/s for fetal macrosomia (large size?) in most cases?

SnuggleBuggles
12-13-2010, 01:56 PM

I wish you luck! I just strongly recommend reading up on fetal positioning (it matters more than size and is often totally neglected by Dr.s and some midwives!). There is no way of saying what your body is capable of. PP is right, c-sections for suspected macromasia aren't recommended by the group overseeing OB policy.

I tend to get suspicious when bigger babies are due at the holidays. A cynical me sometimes thinks that if baby were due in the middle of January instead the size wouldn't be brought up. The idea of scheduling a birth at the holiday season has appeals for parents and care providers though.

It's a big decision because c-sections affect this baby and this birth but also future pregnancies and births. I promise that this site is not anti-c-section, it is pro-informed consent only. I would take a glance at it in just to make sure you have a good understanding of risks and benefits so you can make the right decision for you and your baby.
http://www.childbirthconnection.org/home.asp?Visitor=Woman

Beth

justbreathe11
12-13-2010, 03:00 PM
I just want to thank everybody for your replies! This is my first baby, and I am learning as I go! I hope & pray for a natural delivery, and I told my dr that I really, really don't want a c-section. She seems to be ok with that, but I guess I will just have to take it week by week!

bostonsmama
12-14-2010, 02:05 PM
Our peanut was measuring in the 50th %tile for weeks (I had 12 ultrasounds), then all of the sudden dropped to the 25th %tile, which was our last scan until birth (31 wks?). Based on that scan, she did gain the 1/2 lb per week and was born spot-on at 6 lbs 11oz at 39 wks. At her ped appts she's continued to stay in her %tile. All that to say that baby may or may not be a whopper. IME, our bodies do what they need to do to birth our babies, no matter how big they are. As others have said, too, u/s are notoriously inacurate AND things can change at any minute (like how our DD dropped in growth curve).