PDA

View Full Version : Sanibel vs Fort Lauderdale Florida?

daisyd
12-12-2010, 10:11 PM
DH, 2 year old DC and I are thinking of vacationing in a warm place late February. DH is leaning towards Sanibel, but its so expensive. Fort Lauderdale seems to be more affordable and seems to have a greater variety of activities especially for DH who is not a huge beach person and does have sun allergy. I did a quick search and I like the idea of the butterfly park, gardens, museum at Fort Lauderdale. DH however feels Sanibel might be quieter and more relaxing. He even seems to like the idea of Hawaii in 1 week as he feels Fort Lauderdale may be too touristy. Please help us decide!

resipsaloquitur
12-12-2010, 11:31 PM
I'm not sure where Hawaii fits in but Sanibel and FLL are very different. Sanibel is beautiful with nice beachs. Very famous for all the wonderful shells you can find. But other than beachy stuff there isn't much to do for kids. FLL is a big city with a beach. It has nice areas and not so nice areas. There are many things to do close by for kids (just like any other big town). Both can be great choices but I worry about Sanibel more because if we are having a cold spell (like we did last year) you are going to be stuck in a hotel room/rental house with not much to do. FLL has a nice museum of science and industry and IMAX that my DS liked at 2. From FLL you can do a day trip to the Miami Zoo or WPB Zoo. There's also a nice butterfly habitat that DS liked when he was 2. DS also just liked to hang in his stroller and people watch while I power walked up and down the beach walk.

Let me know if you need any more ideas.

daisyd
12-13-2010, 12:54 AM
Thanks, that certainly helped. We are thinking of a 4 day stay at FLL - is that the ideal length of stay? Is the butterfly park big enough to spend a day there? TIA!

christiedavid3
12-13-2010, 12:58 AM
We live in Ft Lauderdale and I can tell you there is tons to do with kids here. We recently discovered Playmobil Fun Park in West Palm Beach, which would be a great day trip for you. Miami has a Children's museum, and Jungle Gardens is a nice place to go for the day.

Sanibel is beautiful, but I agree with the PP that it's truly a beach town.

Smillow
12-13-2010, 06:14 AM
Thanks, that certainly helped. We are thinking of a 4 day stay at FLL - is that the ideal length of stay? Is the butterfly park big enough to spend a day there? TIA!

If you are talking about Butterfly World (http://www.butterflyworld.com/start.html), then no, it isn't a whole day outing. Morning or afternoon, you could bring a picnic & have lunch at the park (although they were doing construction at the playground right outside BW when I visited in early November). BW is located inside a large county park (Tradewinds). You could turn the outing into a whole day event if you explored the park as well (the park is also divided into two parts by Sample Road).

weech
12-13-2010, 09:09 AM
I just stayed in Lauderdale-by-the-Sea (just north of Ft. Lauderdale) in November and it was wonderful. I don't like staying in cities, so it was perfect for our family. The beach was great (although it was cool/rainy for a couple days), everything was in walking distance, and we could still hit the city if we wanted to.

Ft. Lauderdale in general is a great area for family vacations. I think we'll go back next year!

daisyd
12-13-2010, 02:34 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions. DH likes nature/gardens and enjoyed the Azticou garden at Bar Harbor. Is the Flamingo garden worth going to and is it fun for a 2.5 year old? Any recommendations about where to stay? (preferably some place near the supermarket and with a microwave so I can whip up something for DS and buy food for us if needed)Thanks!

mom2binsd
12-13-2010, 08:40 PM
In Feb. Sanibel may be kinda of chilly too, many friends of ours go there and Feb weather isn't always super warm.

daisyd
12-14-2010, 03:01 PM
Beth, thanks for the heads up. Will it be in the upper 60s or 70s at Ft. Lauderdale? That might work for us.

christiedavid3
12-14-2010, 03:03 PM
Beth, thanks for the heads up. Will it be in the upper 60s or 70s at Ft. Lauderdale? That might work for us.

Yes, that is the typical weather here in Ft. Lauderdale in February. Of course, there could be a cold or warm streak.

daisyd
12-14-2010, 05:32 PM
Thanks Christie! Recommendations on where to stay anyone?